Rabbit droppings as fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by acheno84, May 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    So my wife and I rescued a rabbit and have decided that we are going to keep her as pet. I have been told that rabbit poop is a great fertilizer because it's loaded with nitrogen from all of the greens that they eat. I personally haven't looked too into this, but figured since I was browsing around this page, I would ask: Has anyone else used rabbit droppings as a fertilizer and do you recommend it for veggies? I worry that it may be too acidic and that it could cause plant burning. What tips do you have for me in regards to mixing it properly to avoid harm to the plants?

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Mix it into compost age it break it down

acheno84 likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Rabbits have a short gut so once through they get little nutrition from grass as they cant chew like a cow!
    so they eat there own droppings
    If you look carefully you can tell if it is first second or third round poop!
    only use the third round poop or you will starve the rabbit!
    but the third round stuff makes better fertilizer than the rest!

4. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    You can use rabbit droppings to make tea if you want and it's honestly not too bad. This works the best obviously in cold climates in order to warm you up.

acheno84 likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'll stick to putting it on my plants if its all the same to you!!:p

acheno84 likes this.
  6. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I had no idea that you could make tea out of rabbit droppings. That's definitely a fun fact. I think I'll avoid that unless totally necessary, but it definitely is a helpful fact in any case. :)

7. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    See, and here I am thinking my rabbit is sick (she's not one that we are keeping for food, but one that we actually rescued) because she kept eating her poop. She has a fresh produce diet now with carrots, romaine, spinach, tomatoes, etc. Basically what they would ransack a garden for. This is very helpful information! :)

8. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Haha ye, wouldn't recommend it as a casual cup of tea, honestly.

acheno84 likes this.
  9. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Pet rabbits can get sick with deficiencies if they cant finish digesting there food! and that means recycling there poop!

Little sis used to keep pet rabbits but they kept dieing on her, found out it was the compulsive hourly poop collection and disposal that was doing it!
    Her lazy friend a few doors down also with rabbits had no such problem, she only cleaned up the poop once a week!
    Took her a while to realise and accept her OCD was responsible!

10. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow, that's wild. Yeah I don't really know too much about them since I haven't had one since I was very young. I keep her cage really clean, but she pees in her little sand box and poops in her bedding, but I rarely find poop, so that makes sense that she's taking care of it herself. Really gross, now that I think about it. I keep her litter clean because of the ammonia smell, but her poop gets scooped every Sunday (not yet today, but we're getting to it), and I've been keeping it in a pot outside for fertilizer. She has no problem with digesting (the amount of poop she leaves is mind blowing) so it's good to know that she's processing properly. Thanks for this info! Super helpful.

11. KinsleyMaverick

KinsleyMaverick New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    We used to raise rabbits several years ago and actually used the droppings for fertilizer in our garden. However, you do need to be careful not to layer it on too thickly because it can burn your plants out. It is best to mix it with a good rich soil and spread it around the plants lightly. You do not want it to directly touch the plants because the acidity can affect how your vegetables taste. You can also do the same with goat droppings as well.

12. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    It's the way nature intended it. It the complete cycle as everything consumed is later used to fertilize the grass again. Even human waste can be used to fertilize your plants. The methane gas from feces can be collected to burn and used as fuel.

13. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have never thought of using rabbit droppings for fertilizer. I live in Texas where cow manure is really the only fertilizer I have heard used. Thanks for the question and the subsequent posts.

14. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    You can even use human waste to fertilize vegetation. All manure/dung has it benefits as to fertilizing crops and plants. It's just that handling store bought and processed fertilizers are easier to handle.

15. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Fun facts. I did know that rabbits do not get enough nutrients so they have to recycle their poop. However, I had no idea you can use their poop as fertilizer or tea.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Rabbit manure is one of the better types for organic gardening. This manure is packed with elements for healthy plant growth. The value of these elements a mostly at a higher level than most of that of other animals. Another thing is that the rabbit dropping is not as smelly as that of other animals. I believe that these droppings will help to produce healthy and robust plants.

17. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Now that's a conversation starter. Haha
    I don't know if I would drink that but you never know, when people are in survival situation they will do almost anything in order to survive.

18. joshposh

260/345

Blog Posts:
    Correct. I find that rabbit droppings and horse manure to be the least foul smelling natural fertilizer there is. I'm guessing it is there diet that dictates that. Cow droppings are a bit smelly when it is fresh, but they to will get better over time. My girlfriend has a patch of land that is said to have infertile soil. So I might try and get it up to par with some rabbit manure. Just mix it all up in a wheel barrel and spread it out evenly.

ixLnuWOv0rhFYTtxIkAhT5Qi4Nhd0ldn.jpeg