Received My Second G90 Hf Radio And Will Be Testing It..

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by watcherchris, May 23, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Received my second G90 HF radio and will be testing it..

My second G 90 HF transceiver came yesterday and will be checking it out over the three day weekend...

Here....the Xiegu G 90 HF Radio...

https://www.amazon.com/Xiegu-Amateur...s%2C139&sr=8-3

Also with it is the fan cooling kit..to mount underneath it. I have this for the first one I bought....as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This radio has certain frequencies blocked out on transmit....by design and I am looking into the modification to open up the transmit all across the band as I have done with my other HF radios. In particular I want the CB bands..but all across the frequency spectrum will suffice.

I am thinking down the road of getting one more of these radios and putting it aside after the proper needed modifications.

This is a very nice working rig for the monies and what was a surprise about it is that it has in it a built in automatic antenna tuner....

Up to now I have been using external manual antenna tuners of which I have several.

This radio works surprisingly well for only a 20 watt output. I have talked to my friend out in Tennessee several times in the evening on this radio....a distance of some 400 miles.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh....and I plan to transport at least one of these two Xiegu G90 radios up to one of the two prepper groups about 120 miles north west of me ...that they will be able to keep in touch should the cell phone and or land lines go down..the internet as well.

A back up set of comms….if you like.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

3. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Did the transmit modification to the first of these two radios I have obtained. This mod allows transmit on all the frequencies it will receive...rather than limited transmit as it came from the factory....even the CB bands.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

4. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Keep in mind doing that makes the radios illegal to use and possess.

5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    lol lol lol Snyper...I did not realize you were on this forum as well.....,

As I said...I now have 6 such radios duely modified.

Did I tell you that I also know how to make one shot silencers from plastic drink bottles...???

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Performed the modification today on the second G90 Radio this evening.

This now makes 7 such modified radios I now possess..

String em up.....It will teach them a lesson!!!!

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

7. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    $500 for a cheap Chinese radio that's only HF is waaaay too much IMO. You'd been better off with a name brand Icom or Yaesu. I can cover that band now and it only cost me a few hundred. For CB check out a presidential on eBay.

8. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Question on CB, I know I’m way out in the boonies, but I rarely hear anyone on CB. How prevalent is the use of CB among the trucking and other communities since the advent of cell?

watcherchris likes this.
  9. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    It depends on your location, really. Some areas it's quite while others not so much. It's pretty much all trash on there though. It's great to DX on since the band is 11 meters and you can use SSB. When I went on a trip across several states I took my CB with and there was an accident way up the highway so everyone was at a stand still. I asked a trucker on the CB what had happen and got an answer. So in that respect CBs are nice sometimes.

The family radio band is a lot like CB in some areas as well. Live in LA? Expect A LOT of crap. Live in Fargo? Not so much I presume. MURS would be better. It's free to use and not so tainted... yet.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    The number you own doesn't change what I stated.

It's simply a fact that many might not know.

If one is going to break federal laws it's better to not advertise the fact in public.

"Knowing how" to do something isn't illegal, so the silencer remark was pointless.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL Snyper…….

Did I tell you that I also have a set of factory lockpicks in a wallet case in my back pocket right now....

Keep them with me daily.

Did I tell you also that I handle U 235 fuel cells to be installed in these ships...and submarines...…radiation and contamination worker qualified.

A modified radio.....LOL LOL LOL....,

Someone really needs job security...out there!!!!

Job security works best when you can constantly "Herd" people to conformity....not have them think outside the box....ever.
    This is why a television and or movie education is so important in distractions…..to prevent independent thinking...and thus also independent actions.

Keep quoting rules and regulations.....It will impress people out here on this forum....with a Prepper SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/Survival mindset..

Oh...but I do wear a mask when going about.....

LOL LOL LOL....I can feel good about myself....lol lol lol.

Ishmaelites run wild...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh....Spyder...….good grief....,

What are you possibly thinking here....???

Do you not even understand that some of us can think and thereby act outside of what passes for news and or information today...right in front of us...

It is become clearer ..and more clear as time goes by that the biggest breaker of Federal Law is the Federal government...

And this is being exposed daily in the media....

They are not even hiding it much now days.....Ishmaelites......

Please think before posting.....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    F22 Simpilot,

My apologies for missing your post here....and now I will respond..even if a bit late... Once again my apologies.

I have an Icom 706 Mk II rig which I verily like...also two older Yaesu FT 890 HF rigs.

My Truck has in it a Yaesu FT 100 D HF/VHF/UHF rig in it and I can remove it too and place it on my base station but mostly it remains in the truck.

I also own a Wouxun 920 P dual band VHF/UHF rig which I work on an olde home made J pole antenna some 60 plus feet up in a tree.

http://www.wouxun.com/radios/two_way_radio_KG-UV920P.aspx

Where I am going the Xiegu G90 radio will work fine and I am using it on a G5RV dipole antenna which is left up there.

I started by taking my Icom 706 Mk II radio up there but decided on this less expensive radio....and it works fine in reaching my friend on this G5RV dipole to Eastern Tennessee from about 40 miles west of Richmond, Virginia.
    They already have in place a 40 amp power supply and a VHF radio and antenna....
    I just take with me an HF rig and hook it up to the power supply.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-4245mv

These two groups of preppers also have dual band j pole antennas I have made and the ability to hook up Baofeng UV 5 R radios to these antennas via adapters...if needed.

The Icom 706 is a very nice rig and also has in it VHF/UHF frequencies...but I'd rather leave that rig on my base station.

This Chinese rig is smaller than the Icom 706 and has in it a built in antenna tuner...which I like though I have several manual MFJ model tuners.

The irony to me is that for many things the adjustable 20 watts max on this G90 takes care of most of what I want without drowning the neighborhood in huge amounts of power....though I have an amplifier ….and hardly use it.

Radio and decent antenna....does most of what I want...the olde timers were right about a radio and good antenna.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    You're the only one who seems to be trying to "impress" someone.
    I stated a simple fact about modifying radios.

I understand you keep wanting to talk about things that have no relation to what I said.

I've seen how you think and act.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Spyder,

For once you got things correct here.....well said.....

However....let me further clarify for you since this seems want to turn into that kind of juvenile thing where two guys unzip to show who has the biggest one.

Not for me thanks.

The impression I am attempting to leave is not for you Spyder...but the members here who can think and thereby act outside the box.

People who can think and act outside of most of what passes for "Herd Mentality,"

For it becomes clear that you prefer "Herd " mentality...

No problem by me...

Spyder...this is a prepper/survivalist site....

Prepping and survival requires thinking and acting outside of what is considered norms....outside the herd.

The rules and regulations to which you are so want to quote as the way to go are for normal conditions.

SHTF or TEOWAWKI are not normal conditions.

Which is why I was want to ask …...

And eventually followed by this one liner....

Preppers are often not well liked by the media/Leadership trying to keep the Herd well rounded up in a semblance of normality...but not well prepared for abnormal conditions.

This is why... to me.....you look so ridiculous in trying to promote normalcy on a prepper/survivalist site...when the goal is to prepare for abnormality.

And in so doing...preparing for abnormality....you might want to keep this in mind when posting on a prepper/survivalist site. Other wise..people might catch on that you are just another Herding politician.

One does not close the gate after the cows have gotten out.

You prepare and even stage well ahead of events...if one can...if one can think and act outside the box.

One is preparing/staging for one's self....options.....,not shackles in thinking and acting....herding.

Oh...and by the way...Spyder....this posting is not particularly to you ...as an individual.....but to the members here who can see, hear, and understand...individuality in a survival/prepping sense....not "Herding."

For I am often want to describe one of my worst nightmares is to be stuck on that famous desert Island with 400 people who only know how to text message and expect ...yea.....demand that everyone else conform and perform for their peace of mind and comfort levels without taking any risk themselves...and off the labors and risk taking of others...via herding.

This requires a significant amount of conformity and herding of others...for the comfort and peace of mind of those who in the end are "High Maintenance." This in particular in abnormal conditions.

Preppers …..prepare for abnormal conditions ...Spyder....try to remember that....while you are want to steer the herd....

Oh...and by the way...Spyder and other members here.....

Keep your eye on these riots....deceptively called protests by the main stream media ...of Concealed/occult/hidden normalcy.

Some of us think this is being carefully cultivated to last up to the election for the purpose of political/social/capital....votes.

That someone or some group might want to make this the new normal...in their attempts at the constant blame game they are want to carry out on the American People.

Buckle up and prepare for massive chaos manufacturing between now and the election.....by design...for chaos is the best they can do.....abnormality....chaos.

For there are those of us who know that cell phones , land lines, internet and other links of communication can be cut off overnight...coast to coast....

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  16. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    That would be your doing.
    I don't care, since it has nothing to do with anything I said.

Ramble on all you like.
    I didn't ask for your resume.
    I've heard it all before.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL Snyper…..

The interesting thing about leftist herders....is an attempt to establish the moral high ground in Herding others to their conformity....new normalcy.

They can feel good about themselves....

It has very little to do with people making individual decisions on or about survival/prepping.....Particularly on those with the ability, skills, and or knowledge to operate outside the herd...pack.

It is a very interesting thing or phenomenon about people...and how they think about normalcy...or more accurately do not think about normalcy.

Certain people at work...were very very upset when they found out I have a lockpick set in my back pocket...and knew how to use them ...or even a set of lock shims.....

It was as if someone had severely rocked their Linus security blanket ...They were very upset.....

Until one day they forgot their keys....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Alaska John.....

Good question.....about CB use.

CB use is also way down here in Virginia as I believe many folks are turning to the computer and DVDs for entertainment. And Computers in similar manner to two way radio can be interactive.

I started out on CB many years ago and still go back there on occasion and speak to people I still know who hang out on specific frequencies/channels.

I choose to have this feature in my HF rigs to offer flexibility in case the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens and I do not need to keep two different radios in my vehicles and or on my base station.

Some of my HF rigs also have VHF/UHF capability in addition to working on the CB bands. This gives me FRS and or GMRS frequencies on which to operate..

GMRS and or FRS are those little sports/hunting type walkie talkies you see at wall mart or sports authority type stores wherein you cannot remove the antennas and replace them with a more efficient antenna as one can do on the Baofeng walkie talkies.
    I think those little radios have something like 20 or 22 different frequencies on them. The exact frequencies can be found on the web and manually programmed into a radio like the Baofengs or my Wouxan rig.

Nonetheless ...I choose to have the CB frequencies in my HF rigs to offer flexibility should the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happen.

Thanks for your question.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Received the third Xiegu G90 radio a couple of days ago and have now performed the modification to it.

Works fine...

Plans are to get a military ammunition box and wrap this radio in some heavy commercial aluminum foil and put it into the Ammunition box for storage...

The gasket seal will be greased with a silicon based O ring grease....same type I use on my guns as a moisture barrier..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Giving some thought to a fourth such Xiegu G90 radio so modified and also put into heavy aluminum foil and then put into a military ammo box with silicon o ring grease on the rubber gasket material. This can wait a few months but chewing it over ...as another back up radio.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Went upstate to the middle of Virginia about 40 miles west of Richmond over this 4th of July Weekend.

Took one of my modified Xiegu G90 modified radios with me and left it there.....

While there this last weekend I spoke via that same radio with my friend out in Eastern Tennessee on the 75 Meter Band for about 40 minutes. The copy and signal were very good for only 20 Watts...on lower sideband.

This little radio seems want to work very well for what it is. The antenna I was using is a simple wire dipole called a G5RV and like the radio works very well for how simple it is.

The party up there in the middle of Virginia only has their technician class license but hoping to help them get updated to General class..as I also brought them the study materials for this license upgrade.

It would be nice to be able to make the trip there via radios....should the cell phone service and or the 2 meter Amateur radio repeaters be shut down or electricity be lost for some reason.

I have the ability here to operate off battery if need be....and efficiency at only 20 watts versus the power drain at 100 watts is a significant difference.

Out in the field I have hooked up a G5RV wire dipole antenna to my truck and used the Truck Alternator to charge my battery for power.....and it worked out very well. Spoke to my friend for about 30 minutes from a cabin in Gloucester, Virginia.

One can make all kinds of field adaptations for two way radio if one knows how.

And for me this will facilitate not being tied to cell phones or repeaters....should the SHTF.

This Xiegu G90 HF radio will also pick up the AM broadcasting band....as well as the shortwave bands..Very long range AM radio.

In my Icom...706...not only can I pick up the AM broadcasting band but also the FM broadcasting band..as well.

Options......this means options should the SHTF hit the fan big time ...and I am very concerned about two legged wildlife run amok across this land between now and the election.
    For Chaos seems the very best they can do for America and Americans.

And depending how the elections go...this may continue with the two legged wildlife ...after the elections are over..

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.