Recycled Pallet Hut?

Discussion in 'Permanent Shelters' started by blade_foxhollow, Jan 16, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. blade_foxhollow

blade_foxhollow Expert Member
      138/173

Blog Posts:
    In the opinion of those here would you be willing to get as many free pallets as possibly build a hut or even multi-room building mainly from pallets? I have been off in the land of youtube and saw an interesting project. A one person pallet wood hut that a father and son created. It is small but very nice. They have some things that cost a bit of money but if I can find things that will work for a reasonable price I would likely go that route. Thoughts, suggestions, and critics welcome.

Weedygarden and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen some pretty good pallet constructions on the web, certainly worth trying if you can get them for free. We have a stack here, just haven't got round to doing anything with them yet. We do have some pretty good pallet pig pens though.
    Keith.

3. blade_foxhollow

138/173

Blog Posts:
    Anyway you could share some pictures? I am always trying to find out how others did something and either adapt what they did or adapt to what they did.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No images of the finished pens, but this is what we started with. As the pigs grew, we simply built on to this original one until we ended up with 3 much larger pens. The pigs shelters were a 1000 gallon water tank cut in half making two shelters. We used trees where we could for extra supports, but these pallets pretty much supported themselves when wired together.
    Keith.
    a1feeb91203dfc9841eb17c92c8378f8.jpeg a1feeb91203dfc9841eb17c92c8378f8.jpeg The star picket was added so we could latch a gate.
    HTYm37nqiz86R2hO3mzAO3GoP5PPYESF.jpeg
    jMYc8i_05rxg43VFxizP_iJ8eX6pZlOL.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. blade_foxhollow

138/173

Blog Posts:
    That looks really good. I am going to try to find a local supplier for pallets. As I progress I will be sure to add photos. I may even design it ahead of time. I have grid paper for that reason. I will have to create a photo bucket account or something close so I can share photos. But I will certainly update as I go along.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Ive been building for years with pallets and shipping boxes im all into reuse and recycle my mrs would beat me up if i didnt lol

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about where you are blade, but here there are quite a few places that throw out their pallets. Large furniture stores, white goods stores, a trip through the trading estate will often spot pallets stacked up somewhere. If you drop in & ask, most will say help yourself.
    Keith.

8. blade_foxhollow

138/173

Blog Posts:
    My wife is just now fully understanding the recycling part. Not really ready to upcycle yet. I want to upcycle everything.

9. blade_foxhollow

138/173

Blog Posts:
    Around here they have been putting out signs for people to drop in and get them. I just about I dun know own 5 or 6 million pallets to start with. You know your basic starter number of pallets. Just wanna make sure I ask for a reasonable number of them lol.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one, any images Tom?
    Keith.

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Our local Lowe's throws them out back of their store. I use the almost worn-out pallets to stack firewood onto. One's gotta spray insecticide under fire wood or the rack will turn into a termite breeding ground ... and if you have such a breeding ground within 50 feet of your house, uh-oh!

I've tried to rip them up for firewood, but it turns into too much trouble. Let's say you never hit a nail with your saw, still after burning these things you got a pile of nails in the fireplace ash. These nails have ridges, so they basically can't be pulled.

Keith, using them as an animal pen is a dynamite idea. I use them for gardening this'n'thats.

I was raised to never throw away useful stuff and so I hate to see these puppies just tossed away.

Keith H. and blade_foxhollow like this.
  12. blade_foxhollow

138/173

Blog Posts:
    I have found some are like this. And some have basic nails in them. I plan on pulling the slats of and working on building a nice style siding.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've noticed that newer pallets most assuredly do not use standard nails. The "nails" are fired into these pallets with nail guns, probably high pressure air, i.e. cheap. Since the "nails" are smaller their shafts have locking ridges, so they won't jump out when the pallet takes torquing forces.

I mean, shoot, everything has gotten so poor in quality! It is the new manifestation of inflation. Instead of prices going up, the quality goes down. This is one way the true devastation of inflation is intentionally covered-up. Were this diminution of value counted as inflation, which it is, the real inflation rates would frighten the sheeple, maybe stampede them away from trusting their currency ... which they shouldn't trust, but can't be allowed to not trust. The economies of the West are in deep, deep doo-doo. In this day and age, were some little boy getting ready to scream, "The emperor is naked!" some government SWAT team would open fire on the poor kid.

In future, this era will be referred to as the "baling twine and chewing gum" precursor to "The Fall".

14. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've used them over the years, mainly for compost bins, fencing and for using as bearers for a new shed. the larger pallets in the UK get returned to the supplier but the smaller ones are I think non returnable and that's the ones we get.

15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was just thinking (rare, it does happen to me every so often, along side the hallucinations, don't'cha'know). One could stuff pallets full of fiberglass insulation, then nail plywood panels to either side of a wall of pallets -- i.e. lay pallets down and hold them together with sheets of pressure-treated plywood (outdoor), flip, attach pressure-treated plywood to other side. Now you could assemble these insulated walls into a structure. One could go cheap on the plywood if the shelter were temporary or used for animals.

One could build a hunting blind out of such walls. One could make a door out of two pallets, plywood exterior & interior panels, and hinges/hardware. these walls could be used for the roof and the floor. One would cut windows to desired dimensions. A horizontal shutter could be used on the window and this could be lowered & raised by the pull of a small rope and pulley.

I did a web search and a bunch of folk have had this same idea and wow! have some been really creative. Look at these images:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hun...KEwiN8Jn2uuDYAhVE0VMKHYONBIIQ9QEILTAC#imgrc=_

16. blade_foxhollow

138/173

Blog Posts:
    That is an excellent idea. I had not thought of going that route. It would stand to reason that it would be a better insulated hut or building with that information. Thank you for that input.

17. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Easy insulation affordable is fanfold 4ft x50ft afew of these inside and out give you plenty of insulation and seal up shelter well