Redondo Beach Citizen Cannot Make Bread

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Mar 28, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.dailybreeze.com/2020/03...survival-skills-arent-as-sharp-as-we-thought/

Good morning all,

Per ...

However, those folks can change LED bulbs and party on pier.

Survival question of the day: What is an ingredient for rigotto ?

I'm a consumer of almond butter. It is geometrically healthier than peanut butter. More expensive than peanut butter - peanuts are legumes and not loaded with vitamins and minerals like tree nuts - the tree nuts are excellent for prostrate maintenance a per my MD's guidance.

California's problem is not the virus nor stockpiling neglect. It's a failed government in Sacramento.

randyt likes this.
  2. Patience

Patience Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Oh they can make bread. Just not good bread. My first 6 or 7 times ended with flat, mushy in the middle hard crusted...well, bread, sort of.

It just takes time. I made great bread once I stopped doing 5 other things and being on instagram while I made it.

Same with eggs. Now I stand at the stove the whole time. Just calculating. And my eggs are the shit!

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Patience,

Appreciate reading above post.

Same here; food prep can be done. It just takes a little practice.

As a fire safety rule, when using stove, coffee machine or other appliance, I always stay there entire time.

4. Patience

Patience Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Prag, I love cooking. I hope my mom lives forever, but I want her old cookbooks hahaha.

Cooking just takes time and care, and society today (not saying its bad or good) has a lot of time distractions, and a lot to care about that is more external than internal.

I do think anyone can make bread, if they would just take the time. Does anything smell better than fresh bread from the oven? Maybe a fresh pie?

5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    in one word..... bannock

6. Patience

Patience Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha. I had to look it up. Yeah, I guess my first few tries were more bannock than loaf.

randyt likes this.
  7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    So for the S.H.T.F. situation that we now find ourselves and are sinking deeper into the stinky quagmire , does not show any sign of losing electricity or propane . However to be fully prepared I will suggest practicing cooking using local available and natural materials in your area . In my case that is wood . I haven't done it lately but have practiced making biscuits from flour on my wood cook stove . Bread would also be a learning curb for those that haven't tried baking it using natural available materials . This may be taking prepping a step farther than some think is necessary but it might even be fun .

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  8. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    a sourdough starter can be made from warm water, a bit of flour and a few small chunks of bramble stem. It takes a little bit to get there but it does work.

Rebecca and poltiregist like this.
  9. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    We have actually had some disruption in propane supply but that was more the protests on the railways before the pandemic than the pandemic itself - I think anyway.

I had to have a little chuckle at this because my whole life right now is probably a step too far for most people. I do have a propane stove but most of my cooking is done on the wood stove, why not, as currently it has to be on most of the time to keep me warm anyway. I also cook outside on an open fire often. Even in winter as long as there isn't an actual blizzard going on lol. I find it fun.

There has been a lot of discussion about people being unable to cook from raw plain ingredients to make a meal. Personally I find it hard to understand how they can't but I will take everyone's word for it. Pretty much everything we eat at home is made from scratch LOL it's been years since I had a premade frozen meal.

poltiregist likes this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent post . A situation I experienced , when my large quantity of survival flour lost it's yeast but otherwise was edible I learned to save my yeast starter and keep making my own yeast , over and over entirely done for an expected S.H.T.F. situation and learning experience .

randyt likes this.