Religious Posts, Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Keith H., Jun 30, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

?

Religious Posts, Yes or No?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2017.
  1. No I do not like to see posts regarding religion.

57.1%
  2. Yes I like to see posts regarding religion.

28.6%
  3. I don't care one way or the other.

14.3%
  1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally I do not approve of posts about religion on a survival forum. One's religion, if you have one, is a very personal choice & people tend to have strong views about their own religion. I DO NOT believe in the christian god, in fact I have very strong views about this so called god all mighty, & I dislike having religion forced down my throat & being confronted by it all the time.
    Just lately a number of these religious posts have been made on this forum, & I fail to see how posts of this type can help anyone on this forum.
    Please cast your vote for or against.
    Keith.

Koala and Bishop like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I do believe in something mostly my self but maybe something else but I agree with Mr Keith

Keith H. likes this.
  3. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi Keith. I am a new member. I do respect your opinion. But I feel religion is very much a huge part of what can and should be discussed on a survival forum like this. Now, whether your religion is Christianity, Islam or whatever it is. Think about impossible situations or disasters that people survived, like the 33 Chilean miners in 2010 who were trapped underground for 69 days. When the food, water, and everything else was used up and all hope of being saved alive was gone, the only thing that kept these men going (according to them) were their different beliefs and hope in a higher power.

I certainly do not advocate that Sunday services be held on here or that people should try force their beliefs on someone else. That is a big turn-off. All I am saying is; sometimes in a desperate survival life and death situation, the only thing that keeps some people going is belief in a god or a God.
    :)

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Posts on religion could be interesting and informative provided those that interact do not go overboard and use harsh language and disrespect the community. One can discreetly avoid blaming each other for fotever bad is happening in the world today although it could stem from religious beliefs.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't agree more Keith. We have very similar views when it comes to religion. I also don't believe in the God that the church and Christianity presents us but I don't want to go into details why and offend anybody that does believe in it.

This is exactly why I believe that discussions about religion can be too delicate and break out many conflicts on a forum. Religion is always a very personal thing. If you are a very religious person and you read posts about somebody writing against what you believe in, you will most likely react in a negative way. I just tend to avoid such posts - most of the time I don't even read them but this is my personal opinion :)

Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  6. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I voted for "I don't care one way or the other." While I myself don't believe in a God in the way that Abrahamic religions put it, I don't mind others' beliefs or believers gathering together to discuss religious topics on forums. My views have always been Agnostic for the most part, and this is why I am always open to dialogue with people who are both strongly religious or strongly opposed to religion.

Though two things I do not tolerate are both people who insistently try to convert others to their views, and those who argue with the intent to prove that their perspective is right and your perspective is wrong.

I am always open to religious dialogue, but I am not open to having my opinion disrespected or attempts at converting me.

Lee CT NE likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    religion is personal to each of us, personally i'm a pagan and don't believe in organised religion and i don't want any forum i am a part of to be reduced to a religious debating site. i have seen it happen too many times on other forums.

Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not against anyone believing in their god, but from my experience on other forums, discussions regarding religion have become so aggressive that Moderators have had to close the discussion & ban some of the members. By all means believe in an invisible god if that is what it takes to get you through a bad situation, but personally I think people are better off believing in themselves & doing all they can to help themselves. I have lost a lot of close friends over the years, one of them put his life in the hands of his christian god, he died. God almighty? No. The christian god is like an invisible friend, it has no power other than the supposed power believers believe in. Children die every day, Genocide in West Papua continues, if god had the power he would stop this, if this god were real & a good god he would save lives. But christians say some people upset this god & because of this he/she/it turned it's back on humanity. Does this sound like a loving & caring god?
    If people wish to pursue these religious posts, then I can only advise those who are against such posts to ignore them & DO NOT enter into an aggressive discussion.
    Keith.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  9. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I love studying religion and have done so for well over 30 years.
    I've seen boards ripped apart because of a religion forum on a non religious
    debate forum.

I voted no.

I got booted off a religious board because my views are a bit out of the mainstream.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    For instance the popular belief that when bad people die they go to Hell.
    Hell does not exist, never did.
    The good dead go to Heaven. Not so.
    The dead get buried.
    Period.

Oh, nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:confused:

Now I've gone and done it:eek:.
    Don't ask I won't respond.:(

11. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    I think maybe we should create a subforum for religion. I don't really care to read about it on here but if some people do let's make a place for it and leave all the talks there? Yes or No?

Ystranc likes this.
  12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Nothing will tear a site apart like religion and politics.
    One small private forum I'm part of has a politics forum but we are all
    of like mind so all we do is agree with one another.
    We've been together 20+ years.
    Trump rocks and Hillary sucks canal water.
    ooooopps.
    Sorry.:rolleyes:

13. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    hummmmmmmmm?????????????

Well, faith can spawn hope and perhaps hope is all we might have to hang onto
    and survive.
    Right off hand I can think of perhaps millions that survived with only hope
    and faith.
    The Jews in WWII.
    It wasn't only Jews that were persecuted.
    Jehovah's Witnesses, some Catholic clergy that opposed Hitler, Gypsies,
    and political opponents as well as some p.o.w.s.
    Many of those went to the gas chambers with the Jews.
    Faith and hope sustained many that might otherwise have died.

Frankly I have no idea why I;m still alive.
    In police work I dodged death several times.
    Then there was the Chrysler murders.

1. Ystranc
      I wonder how many more people have died because of their faith, or because of the religious beliefs of their persecutors, then have been saved by faith.
      .....just a thought.

Ystranc, Jul 17, 2017
  14. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Particularly, I think everyone has the right to express themselves, even though the subject is as controversial as "religion". So, I can't see a real problem in these types of posts (depending on how it was written, obviously :D).

15. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I certainly agree with you on this. I remember during the 9/11 attack, the Christian church played an important role in the survival of some wounded and providing shelter and medical care to ensure their survival. If you are just trying to fend for yourself alone, then many more would die because we need each other, so a common belief is welcomed.

1. Ystranc
      It's grossly presumptuous to assume that we all have common beliefs.

Ystranc, Jul 16, 2017
      jeager likes this.
  16. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I would be happy to agree to having a part of the forum ring fenced for debating comparative theology if the more religious members can be persuaded to keep it there.
    The list of members that I'm ignoring has already reached epic proportions, life is too short for answering stupid questions. If I wanted to help with homework assignments I would be a teacher.

17. Lee CT NE

Lee CT NE Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately there are strong views and beliefs on both sids. I fear that it will get out of hand from either or both sides as some of the posts have already reflected.
    My personal opinion is if you don't believe in God, stay out of forum threads about it. If you do believe as I do, don't try to stuff your beliefs down one anothers throats and/or use derogatory language. This applies to both sides.
    I respect the views of others and expect the same respect.
    My vote is neither yes, no, nor I don't care; rather if threads about religion can stay civil - fine. If not, better not to have them and cause hard feeling and/or tempers to flare.

18. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Short answer, no, I don't think it has an real benefit here or elsewhere. I am aware that one's religious beliefs impact ethical considerations and some faith systems even promote preparedness (e.g., the Latter-Day Saints). Still, religious discussions are often divisive and rarely add much to real-world preparedness. For example, there is a thread running now about the Rapture. Not only do most people not subscribe to that specific eschatological position, it is involving preparing for, what, a few years until the end of days? ;)

All that said, maybe a section where those types of discussions would work best. Those that want to talk matters of faith can keep it there and those that think it is pointless can conveniently ignore that section.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  19. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I believe in God, and have all of my life; but I agree that a survival forum really is not the place for religious discussion, and (along with politics ) it is one of the topics that stirs up a lot of dissension in any forum, even a religious one where everyone supposedly believes in the same God.
    Unless a post is directly related to survival, and involves something to do with a church or denomination, I don't really see why it should be part of this forum.
    As was mentioned by @CivilDefense ; the LDS church believes in preparedness, and they encourage people to be prepared.
    I have ordered supplies from Augasun Farms, which is run by Mormons, and I think that to mention this informtion in a survival forum would be totally appropriate.

Ystranc likes this.
  20. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    No, I would not like it since it is a very delicate subject and some people are or may be very susceptible to it, we all believe in something different or the same but with a different perspective, something that I learned over the years is not talk about any topic with a ideological context.

21. TsuyoyRival

TsuyoyRival New Member
      9/29

Blog Posts:
    It's for me a taboo, and I say this sadly because I would like to live in a society where people could share their thoughts without hate and despise. Unfortunately, that will always exist, although the great efforts from great personalities. But as some users said, there isn't any great benefit from talking about it, so why take the risk.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if the more religious amongst us would keep it confined to the religious threads I wouldn't care less but it never works out that way, they always seem to creep into the survival threads and that pisses me off.

Ystranc likes this.
  23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a problem with a generalized discussion of faith and its possible importance to some in times of stress. What I don't think we need here is a debate about the worth, value or lack there of of various faiths. For many people there is a comfort in their faith that will be very valuable in an apocalyptic world. If you find comfort and calmness via this then it is a VERY good thing for you. If not then for you it is meaningless.

What I hate to see is the Faithful telling the nonbelievers that they are going to hell because they don't believe in what the believer believe or conversely the nonbelievers making asinine statements to the faithful about their faiths. A survival board is a place to discuss physical survival. My immortal soul or lack there of is not open to that debate. If you are stronger in your faith then it is for you a survival plus and I don't see that it matters what name you use for your particular god or gods.

I like religion and have delved into it and find it facinating but I am evidently unlike many in that I don't care to try to draw any to my beliefs and am not in the least bothered or insulted by any others lack of belief.

24. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf said:

I like religion and have delved into it and find it facinating but I am evidently unlike many in that I don't care to try to draw any to my beliefs and am not in the least bothered or insulted by any others lack of belief.

Likewise. To each their own.
    I've been hobby studying religion, mostly Christianity for 30 + years.
    Conclusions? NO denomination has "it" right, and none have "it" totally wrong.
    Ergo 33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.
    We members on this site are united in a common cause.
    SURVIVAL.
    Religious differences might shatter that common cause.
    Just my not very humble opinion.
    There are plenty of religious forums that welcome new members.
    Faith is important to survival I think.
    Faith = a belief in something that cannot be proven nor disproved.
    Prove there is a God.
    I can't.
    Prove there is NO God.
    No one can.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if your going to quote me I would be obliged if you got it right! LOL.
    I never said the above I believe it was TexDanm.

jeager likes this.
  26. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, crap! I'm so sorry.:(:(

Thank you for the correction.:D

lonewolf likes this.
  27. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    zeedollar

said:
    It's grossly presumptuous to assume that we all have common beliefs.

Besides being lovely zeedollar makes good sense.

Perhaps the commonality is in common Christian core beliefs, not denominational dogma.
    No offense meant for those not Christian.

33,000 denominations of Christians all reading essentially the same book.

I dunno.

28. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Maybe if it has it's own section. Like a "Hokus Pokus" section or something.
    Nah, politics and religion is what sets men apart. I say we dont want religion here.

jeager likes this.
  29. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Nah, politics and religion is what sets men apart

I'll say! My fiance have very similar religious and political views.
    When we have company we just do not talk about either.

30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Wheeeeeew!! Thanks Lonewolf! I was reading his post and thinking, "That sounds familiar. I sort of thought Lonewolf was agnostic though..." You know that you are getting old when you don't at first recognize something that you wrote YESTERDAY!! LOL.

Nobody ever walks the same path whether it is religion, politics or life. We may all start at the same place and all end at the same place but we will each find our own path in between. It is in those differences that we can learn so much from other people. What would two or more identical people ever have to talk about.

There is something in people that seems to make them, in general, seek to understand the workings of things that they can't ever actually know much about. In that speculation many begin to see a lot of odd coincidences that when all added together make them suspect that we are not alone and that there is a greater intelligence at work in the universe. Others see the same and shrug it off as just random coincidence and then try to come up with a logical, to them, hypothesis to account for these oddities and progressions of change. LOL, when I studied Chaos Theory I was amazed how mystical and almost religious like a lot of it was.

Even the most devout atheist wants to understand where we came from and if there is really any meaning to life or is it just a pointless accident of nature.