Reloading 6.5 Swede

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by randyt, Aug 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Awhile back I picked up 5000 rounds of 6.5wooden bullet practice rounds for a couple hundred dollars. That comes to a little over 4 cents a round. The swedes made their practice rounds from once fired norma brass.

I pull the bullet, pour the powder out and reload, at this point it is primed brass. Berdan primed but it's cheap enough. I pull the bullet by putting the cartridge in a press with no die. Bring the round up through the die hole, grab the wooden bullet with pliers and snap it down. Bullet comes out easily.

Now to come up with a bullet mold or some cast bullets.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    @randyt

Really good buy, just wish there was a good way to replace Berdan primer with Boxer primers.

randyt likes this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    the worst part was the shipping. If memory serves J&G has it for 95 dollars for 5000 rounds. After shooting the scrap value for the brass would be a tad bit too.

Berdan can be reloaded but it's really not worth the effort these days.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    cast bullets In a Swedish Mauser....wow!!!

6.5 x 55mm Swedish Mauser...

Seems to me that without significant drop in speed leading would be a problem...depending of course on your lead mix.....but thinking a gas check would be in order at some those ballistic speeds..and without significant downloading.

The 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is a nice rifle. I've seen one which was a carbine model....still a very nice rifle..with the crown symbol of Gustuv on the receiver.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  6. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link Snyper, I'm going to try a hundred if I like them which I'm sure they are good, I'll buy a bunch.

I have a couple carl gustuv mauser rifles, full length.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Lyman 2 cavity mold for a 140 gr, 264 bullet is a little pricy. You could buy a lot of ready-made bullets for what this costs. What are you going to do with the wooden bullets? You need to keep a few rounds intact for future collectors.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010241632/

watcherchris, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  8. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    The bullets break apart as they are pulled, I'll keep a few rounds as is for my cartridge box. Bullet molds are a investment for sure. I have many and should really take a good look before buying one.

What I don't have is the time and energy to cast.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The 6.5 Creedmoor is a ballistic clone of the 6.5 Swede. An engineer friend of mind worked with loads for his numerous Swedish military rifles (1896 Mauser action). He had some receivers re-heat-treated.

The guy was OCD to the max and brilliant, therefore he recognized this cartridge to be a superior round. All the ballistic experts have. Thus the development of the 6.5 Creedmoor. This bullet diameter is the sweet-spot for the ballistic coefficient perfect for cutting through Earth's atmosphere and retaining the energy to kill mammals in the range of 150 to 200 lb.

Though not having owned the 6.5 Swede myself, I've found shooting them a joy.

American manufacturers have always chambered their rifles in this caliber because there is always a pool of true riflemen out there. Years / decades have gone by where the availability was through the custom shop of American rifle manufacturers. European rifle manufacturers have seen it as one of the standard calibers. Some young people imagine that this 6.5 Creedmoor is some sort of new discovery. Been around forever, simply in a military round with a different case. The 6.5 Creedmoor I hope sticks. US military looking at the 6.8 SPC.

My friend did cast bullets. He hardened the lead royally. Bullet lead is hardened with a alloys of tin and antimony.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/if-i-wanted-to-make-lead-harder-how.411764/

Gas checks, don't forget them.
    https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/6-5-mm-264-caliber-gator-gas-checks/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    randyt, watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    learning more by the day. I do hope to get into casting bullets but that is a long way off. Still got too many things to learn and skills to develop regarding reloading. I can say, I really do love my 6.5 Creedmoor.

randyt and watcherchris like this.