Reloading, Why Is It Important!

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by sarky, Dec 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I've be a gun enthusiast for 55 of my 62 years. I've reloading and "wildcatting" for 40 of those years. I've only been a fan of the AR platform for 22 years, and only because of the multi-caliber potential of the platform. If you own an Ar, you should reload, why? because it is then cheaper to shoot. Like I said earlier, I'm also a wildcatter. So when a caliber like the .22TCM was announced, I saw a lot of potential. The .22TCM is a shortened .223/5.56. It was designed as a pistol round for the 1911 platform. But for any of you who do reload you know that case necks split, which renders the case unusable for reloading .223. But trim it down and run it thru a .22TCM die set and you've given new life to the case. Uppers are already being made for this caliber and are being fed from various magazines PPs43 mags being the most popular, though .30 carbine, .45 ACP and other mags are being used via mag adapters. Reloading allows you to tweak you loads for your gun and produce calibers that wouldn't normally be available to you. And as I said earlier it can save you money. I have more than paid for all my reloading equipment. And at present cost, I can reload 9mm and .38 special ammo cheaper than I can buy .22LR.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Reloading for long term is a good investment the supplies store well indoors hidein caches of powder and primmers does not work well so reloadin is better for bug in ie im stayin here and holdin here

Prairie Dog likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have been reloading for four decades but I do not plan to reload during or after the Apocalypse!

WHY? a few reasons, it is time consuming and that time needs to be quiet un interrupted time! and I will have a million and one other things to do!
    The last thing I want is to load a faulty reload in a life/death situation! real good for taking the life bit out of the equation!

I will start the Apocalypse with all cases loaded with good reloads! I will keep and store my reloading gear however!
    I will also keep and store all used cases where possible.

I have enough ammo to serve me and mine for decades, If I loose that ammo I have most probably also lost my reloading gear!
    I have the knowledge and skill to manufacture ammo from scratch if I need to! I may even become the local ammo maker on a commercial basis
    if I see fit!

4. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    If your BOL is secure, or if you are in a large group at your BOL, There will be down time. Boredom and loneliness, in this case probably more boredom, are one of the "7 enemies of survival" . Reloading during that down time is a good way to fill that boredom time and is more useful than playing cards.

5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have reloaded for a looooong time and have made many mistakes during that time
    Lots of little things can and will disturb you while reloading, these interuptions make for errors
    Errors in your ammo may just get you killed!

I know you can do everything perfect now and you can handle the stress no worries

So can I but experience has taught me much!

6. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    In any survival situation, you will have down time. This might be the long nights of winter, or just really bad weather. If you are stuck in your shelter, you have several choices on how to pass the time. Some people play board games or cards, others will do maintenance on their gear. So why not have the option of reloading as well?

7. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I do not envision any down time in a land without running water or electricity!
    Washing clothes will not be just putting into machine and flicking a switch, same with dishes any more!

Run through everything you use/do now and then see how long it takes without electricity!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  8. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I've lived in Maine for 20 years and have been snowed in for up to a week at a time. So I've run thru that scenario more than once. And what makes you think I won't have electricity? Photovoltaics and a decent sized battery bank, I'm powered up for 48 hours (standard use) with no sun. If I conserve energy, I can double that. If I have the wood stove going the thermocouples attached to it are also feeding my battery bank.
    Besides, washing dishes doesn't take long, and the laundry is powered by my stationary bicycle (direct drive, including spin cycle)

9. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Besides, washing dishes doesn't take long, and the laundry is powered by my stationary bicycle (direct drive, including spin cycle)

Duh !

I will back off now as that pandemic is catching!