Replacing A Crossbow String

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by randyt, Sep 12, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    A few years back I took in as boot a Barnett Rc-300 crossbow. I haven't really shot it much. The string is looking a little ratty. It's a compound bow, I want to change the string. I've been told that only a bow shop has the means to do this. On the other hand how difficult can it be to build a jig and change it my self. I really need to be able to change it myself, perhaps a bow shop won't always be available.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this with a compound?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. kilo4okc

kilo4okc Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don t think I would ever want a compound crossbow or even compound bow as a survival tool..

Perhaps if one stocked many many spare parts for it.

But to me it has too many moving parts.

I have a crossbow....non compound..150 lb draw.

I am thinking about a recurve bow.....or recurve takedown..with spare parts.

I have spare prods and strings for my crossbow....fletching and other parts too.

But while compound bows are powerful...they have too many moving parts for a long term survival tool to me. Same with compound bows.

You would need to stock a lot of spare spare parts for a compound crossbow.

How many out here are so mechanically inclined as to keep a compound crossbow going for years and years and years.???

Just my way of thinking....KISS...keep it simple stupid!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

4. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I love my compound bow. Hunted with it for years (and did tournaments with it for a few years, too), BUT if I ever find myself without fresh spare parts, and when push comes to shove I will consider doing this:

https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/building-a-primitive-crossbow.6279/#post-44472

It's definitely on my "advanced survival" list of things to practice.

5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Might wanna consider recurve crossbow such as those from Excalibur. I'm aware it is easier on the draw weight when using compound, but they have too many moving parts thus making them a complex piece of equipment. At least with recurve crossbow you have the option of using draw aid device or CO2 canister to cock it.

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, that would be something to look into for times such as now, when it is possible to buy fresh parts. That Excalibur is a good idea!

I am more interested in planning ahead for times where no one can run out and buy critical replacement parts...

7. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    thanks for all the replies. I have to agree on the compound bow aspect of my post but I have faith that I can maintain it. Also I may boot the crossbow along and get a crossbow with a recurve for simplicity sake.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    This may suitable for you, you still need to buy the cranking device separately though

Or if you wish to hunt bigger (and dangerous) game and has the extra $ to spend ;

9. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Just remember the arrow along with it head are equally critical. Heavier arrow has more momentum thus penetration, although with heavier arrow you going to need more powerful crossbow (typically more expensive)

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't like modern recurve bows of any kind.
    restringing a non recurve crossbow is fairly straight forward but can be difficult.
    remember that all crossbow strings need lubing on a regular basis.