Report On Reloading Supplies.

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Dec 3, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Report on reloading supplies.

Today, 10:47 PM
    Of recent I made a trip to Bass Pro Shops here locally and did not find much in reloading supplies to suit me...

Powder selection was very thin and also, they only had small rifle primers.

I did find two boxes of bullets which I purchased....in .357 diameter/caliber...at 158 grain weight and also a box of .308 Caliber rounds...both of which I purchased and put away in my supplies/stocks for a future time....preps.

Today I took trip across the river in the other direction and at my favorite reloading store found two 1 lb. cans of IMR 3031 powder of which I made one purchase. This can was very expensive some $56 per can but I bought it nonetheless as I knew not when another place would have it. I am looking for a can of IMR 4227...or a suitable substitute....for loading .357 mag and or .41 mag.

So...supplies for reloading are still sparse around here.and I like to pay cash....not order on line....or write checks or use plastic.

And now you know the rest of the story!!!

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Have another trip planned to check out another of my locations for obtaining reloading supplies...and will update when I find out more.

I am not desperate for reloading supplies but like to check on the status/availability when I can.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I did get very lucky. A member of the gun range and fellow Range Master is selling me 3 pounds (one pound cannisters) or Varget for $40 per pound. That is a great deal. It will of course be a cash sale. It pays to have good members at the range. I have not been able to find Varget anywhere, not even on line. I now have powder, primers and bullets for all my reloading needs. I would like to increase my small magnum pistol primer inventory. My stock on those primers is a bit low but I have a lot of rounds loaded and sitting in my stockpile.

watcherchris and poltiregist like this.
  4. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT,

What I have been hearing as going on out here.....is that quietly and for years now....ammo manufacturing has been switched to producing NATO standard ammunition...9mm parabellum, 5.56 x 45 mm and also 7.62 x 51 mm ammo.

Remember when yuou could scarcely find .22 LR???

This means that the ingredients for powder manufacturing have been transferred to this other marketplace and away from civilian uses...the materials for primers as well.

I have been able to find some bullet selection for reloading but not much...,Lots of cast bullets out there but in limited calibers...

My instincts told me that such was going on as these raw materials do not just simply disappear out of the marketplace.

Are we getting ready for the next war??

If this is so ...this means that other war materials will or are getting scarce or as reflected in prices.

Food??? Batteries.....Rubber...medicines....et al...et al.....and the list goes on.

One of the problems becomes how to keep the public ignorant of what is going on.

It has also come to my attention... via history ....that one of the biggest gun runners...arms dealers in the world ...is the US Government. Let that sink in for awhile....as it becomes clear that our government is going the way of the world and in particular Canada.

Remember how many arms and materials we left behind in Afghanistan???

What is becoming clear to me..via this Twitter business....is that not only does our government not trust us to be armed physically ...but also not trust us to be armed with information/knowledge...

That is a very very dangerous mix....to someone out here...a real threat..

Be Warned of these Ishmaelites who would put us into their bondage....and work to keep us ignorant of what is going on.

My non Ishmaelite .02
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am thinking about the crime levels in Democrat run Utopias...and how this will become the progressive template for all of America.

Ishmaelites run wild.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think so. Not the violence anyway. In Heartland America, this behavior, these sorts of violent out-of-control people, will not be tolerated. If it comes down to it, "vigilance committees" / vigilantes will start taking names. AND sheriffs departments will look the other way when this happens. These uncivilized will learn the true meaning of organized violence. No structure = defeat.

What is already happening is that white liberals are moving out of urban areas due to the crime they themselves enabled. Then they move here. There's one these who lives up the way from us. We really hate this, because they bring with them their adolescent mind-sets and vote accordingly. Liberalism annihilates economies and the structure of civilization. It is a cancer.

We are rapidly coming up to the economic collapse. This will free locals to get rid of outsiders, because local policing will lose its funding. Who will the leftists turn to to protect them? Usually, they themselves are not ex-military nor practiced in the use of weaponry. If they are ex-military, they often didn't serve in combat regiments. Most often, they lack the "inner combatant" behavior set. Many have not even gone hunting before. These outsiders will be invited to leave and they will just leave. I don't see a lot of violence occurring, actually. They'll quickly learn just how unwanted they are.

... and add to this that they often do not even know how to grow their own food and who is going to share with outsiders. These folk open their mouths and are instantly recognized as "not one of us". Many are arrogant which can quickly get you hurt in the South. Our mountain forests provide a near-infinite area into which people could simply disappear. Where I'm from, the uncivilized, the violent, often went away.

"I haven't seen that trouble-maker Bill around lately."

"He had to leave. Not coming back, I hear."

"Oh, OK."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not so sure of this Olde Geezer....

I say this because what I am thinking...is the long term World Goals...and expectations/beliefs of these one worlders.

This meaning UN types. This meaning disarmament. And remember what the position is of so many one worlders...
    The pattern....the template for their utopian world...is Communist China.

This tells us something very very interesting.....

And that is ...China today is the creation of these one worlders.....they created it..for cheap labor....transferred the technologies to make/manufacture China into what it is today.

But I believe that China ...like Japan in pre WW2 times is waking up...and not wanting to turn over the Lion's share...to westerners....as did Japan ...pre WW2.

China , like Japan, is wanting to go it alone...and away from their masters.

But in the mean time the masters...want to extend the social/political beliefs to world wide....to privileges granted by the sovereign'/governmetn......not rights from God...as we are supposed to have here.

I do not believe for one minute that Trump is saying get rid of the Constitution.

I believe he was speaking in sarcasm....with the view to how far our Government under the leftists currently in office are whittling away at our rights under the Constitution and intend to continue until we are like Communist China..

I believe that the leftist in government are misquoting to keep Donald Trump from running in 2024.

I believe it is the Left and Democrats...supported by the silence of the phony Republican Party and a pimping lying media who do not want Donald Trump to run in 2024....under any circumstances. They are that desperate to stop him.

I believe the media is misquoting what Trump said and intended.

How do I know this.....because if Donald Trump is 2A...he is much more a Constitutionalist than most in public office.

I believe that to keep and maintain power among two phony political parties....many of these elected officials will lie and deceive and supported by a very biased private lobbying network called the MSM.

To do all of this these phonies need us disarmed.....mentally , physically , as well as spiritually.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    It is my belief that Google, Twitter, Face book and others...are private lobbying networks...used and misused to censor free speech at the encouragement /guidance of government or whomever. or whatever is our real government. Obviously not the product advertised.

That means Amendment one is very very Shakey under these conditions/circumstances.

Also one reason I never took out or joined one of those sites...like facebook...or twitter.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Some of the fellows at my new work location have been asking about applications to the Gun Club to which I belong.

Hence last night rode up there and picked up three applications by which to sponsor them...and while there I also picked up from the brass cart .45ACP Brass 200 count and two other 100 count bags of .38 Special Brass and put them away when I got home.

This brass will be deprimed , tumbled ...then inspected...then reloaded...

It is that birdie thing telling me to do this when I can..

My radar is telling me that ammo is once again going to get scarce and thus expensive.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "It is that birdie thing telling me to do this when I can.."

Known or unknown to you, that "birdie" is the manifestation in this life of the prayers of your loved ones in the next life.

This world is deeply crude and lies far away from its Creator. Here, we must do what we must do while keeping Holy teachings in our hearts. The Holy Books are grand, but only fleeting windows where some Light was allowed to shine into this dark hall. Thus, we are left to do that which we must do.

Preparing for what is assuredly coming is doing what you must do.

Demons are huge ugly escapees from Hell, thus it takes a heavy hammer to drop them. A 230 grain chunk of lead wrapped in copper flying out of a .45 Auto can fill the task of becoming such a hammer. I wish you good sailing on the sea of reloading. Soon, ammunition will become unavailable to American civilians. If there are any days when wise men should put back ammunition for their weapons, these current days are truly those.

That we are pressed to such tasks can be burdensome; yet, we do what we must do.

By the by, the patron Saint of handguns is St. Gabriel Possenti.

https://taylormarshall.com/2014/02/patron-saint-of-handguns-meet-st-gabriel-possenti.html

Quote:

Saint Gabriel Possenti’s feast day is February 27. He is the patron of hanguns because his marksmanship enabled him to rescue a woman about to be raped by a marauding gang of thugs at Isola del Gran Sasso, Italy in 1860.

Here’s the story:

After freeing a young woman from would-be rapists, St. Gabriel Possenti confronted the onrushing brigands waving revolvers. At that moment, Possenti fired at a lizard that happened to be running across the road and dispatched it with one shot. Thus having demonstrated his excellent handgun marksmanship, he was able to take command of the situation and ran the now-frightened brigands out of town.

St. Gabriel Possenti performed this feat of courage without causing physical harm to a single human being.

St. Gabriel Possenti died in 1862. He was canonized by Pope Benedict XV in 1920.

End quote
    ---------------------------

See also:

https://www.fatherlawrence.com/The-Great-Cloud-of-Witnesses/st-gabriel-possenti

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
    watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    To supplement my firearms and for very close in work in supplementing my shotguns... I have also purchased an English Hand and a half sword....also a Viking sword.....and three Viking Battle Axes....from Cold Steel.
    I have taken them to my garage and a suitable edge carefully affixed to them.

Hope it never comes to that....

And contrary to popular belief....bladed/edged weapons are very very messy...in addition to a different skill set needed.

HAND-AND-A-HALF SWORD | Cold Steel Knives

VIKING SWORD | Cold Steel Knives

VIKING BATTLE AXE | Cold Steel Knives

Oh...and concerning the Viking Battle Axes....the third one I gave to a prepper couple I know in Cumberland Virginia to supplement their preps as well....along with a VHF/UHF radio and base station Antenna. I can reach them from here in the evenings using the Richmond Repeater...on top of a downtown bank building.

For close in work I prefer my Ithica and Mossberg..but one never knows....so preps are in order.....backups.

Oh...and Olde Geezer....you are very very correct on this ......

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Was re thinking your quote above Olde Geezer.......

And yes...indeed..Capital C in Creator is correct....quite correct..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Made myself get out of my lazy boy recliner today and run across the river to my favorite reloading supply store.

Bought two one pound cans ofr IMR 4227 powder.

Two boxes of 65 grain V max bullets....in .223 calibration 100 count each

Also Two boxes of 158 grain JHC bullets in .357 calibration for reloading .38 Special and .357 magnum....100 count each..

All of these supplies I have put away ....that little birdie thing speaking to me..

Paid cash for all..

You members decide for yourselves and for your own reasons....not for group think.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      You likely have also put back primers. Would it help to put desiccant packs and O2 absorber packs in with your sealing containers in which you store primers and powder? Don't put too many primers in one container, one area. When at university, one of my tuition-paying jobs was delivering truck parts in that company's van. One location was a dynamite storage facility. They had numerous bunkers. Bunkers so that if one went, the others would be spared. Were all of their dynamite to have gone off in one fell swoop, that area of the county would have been leveled. This was up in the coal mining region. My delivery territory was WIDE.

Old Geezer, Nov 11, 2023
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    As for edged weapons, I think the dirk is neat. I have WWI bayonets. After WWI, bayonets got shorter and shorter. These long-bladed bayonets fit the old war horse rifles I have from that era. I guess these rifles are now considered antiques. I don't care. They are in great shape and shoot well enough. I'm old but not yet dead ... completely so, anyway.

Think about it. Isn't a long bayonet something of a dirk or a short sword?!

I'd like to make a short spear with both a front and back blade. The handle area I'd protect with great gripping material even were it to get wet. I'd have stops / quillons / cross-guards fore and aft of the grip area to keep my hands in the safe area. Just back of the blades I'd put numerous small razor blades. Why the little razor blades? So that if someone would attempt to wrest the spear from me, they'd sever the tendons in their hands.

Fighting with sharp thingies means that you need a heavy leather coat, neck guard, leather gloves, and a helmet. Never clear a building without protecting your skull. Holy crap! I see these movies and TV shows and the cops lead with their bare heads. Wow, what a way to get de-brained!

upload_2023-11-11_16-2-40.png

I have my uncle's Camillus issued him during WWII. I keep that puppy sharp, top and bottom. The tip is mean. His M1 Garand bayonet is neat, but I can't get the stink off it, out of the scabbard, so I never mess with it -- yuck.

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    You don't know what you're missing out on (tongue in cheek, lol).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Can you just buy whatever you want over there? Or do you have a limit, or can you only buy for weapons you have? How does it work?

What's the significance of paying cash?

watcherchris likes this.
  17. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Yes...we can buy whatever we can afford....as much as we want or as much as they are willing to sell us and can pay for it.

Cash....that means no paper trail.....the traceability stops there..

This is why so many governments want to go cashless...electronic moneys.....so that they can know what..where and how much you are consuming....

Such is not free market....simply because the tendency of governments is to constantly change the rules to favor government..and cashless is the tool needed to measure how much and how often and where they need to make changes.

Free market means the marketplace decides...not government.

In other words a rigged economy...not a free market economy.

Be Warned these Ishmaelites.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

18. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Wow. So different from Australia. We are only allowed to buy ammo, etc, as per what firearms are registered under our name. We have to produce our firearms licence, which links to what firearms we legally own. Everything is recorded.

My understanding is that this actually stems originally from a dropkick called Ivan Milat, who murdered backpackers not far from where I lived at the time. The ballistics were able to be traced to the specific shop he purchased the ammo used in the murders from, as the ballistics confirmed they came from a .22 Ruger, parts of which were found hidden at his premises. At that time, because there weren't "records" kept (like there are now), detectives were dependent on the staff specifically remembering him coming into the shop to purchase the ammo batches they sold (as opposed to someone else, like his brothers, for example). The particular shop was the most logical place, given where he lived. He was a gun nut who made frequent purchases from that shop, so it wasn't that hard for them to put 1 + 1 together. We didn't have a massive amount of firearm shops, so that wasn't a difficult process. My husband and I used that particular shop on a frequent basis ourselves because it was the closest (and it has to be said, the best at the time), even though it took roughly 40 minutes to drive to, which to us, wasn't much time really anyway.

Back then, it was a time consuming process to ballistically match the ammo batches and work out who bought them. Hence, the system started to change to be able to keep track of who bought what, in the event ballistics from a murder could be matched. (Simplistically put).

I actually put a post up somewhere or other earlier about Australia going cashless. I think it's extremely worrying and extremely imminent.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Blitz....

You do not have to produce a license here ...yet.

Gun ownership is a Right here in America...it is not a privilege granted by the Sovereign as it is in Canada, Australia, the UK and other nations.

It is a God Given Right with which we are born....among many of our Rights.

However..when guns are manufactured a round is fired through them and thus the rifling pattern kept and recorded....along with serial numbers...of the firearm...and when one buys a firearm from a licensed dealer...one has to do a background check....show identification etc etc etc.

Non licensed persons in many states ...do not have to go through this checking as they are not licensed by the state. They can sell firearms to another unlicensed person and not go through such restrictions.

Many states are trying to change that and treat people as if they are licensed. Licenses are privileges granted by the states/Sovereign......not Rights from God....and this is a sticky issue here..

This is where many states and Federal governments are trying to go ...to herd the people into more and more licensed controlled arenas...and away from God Given Rights under the Constitution and without most even knowing this is happening to them.

This tends to make the Government the Sovereign and the people subjects...not Citizens with Rights under the Constitution....not limited government but unlimited government .

I am talking about more than Just Firearms here when it comes to licenses...

I am talking about Ishmaelites run wild....

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting. About a round being fired and the rifling pattern kept and recorded. I have no idea if they do that here or not. I'll have to do some digging, just out of interest.

Yes, licences here (whether firearms, or driving licences, for example) are considered a privilege and not an automatic right. It's also quite expensive to hold firearm licences here. The more different firearms you have, the more you have to pay (for example, pistols, longarms, large calibre pistols, etc). You also have to pay to be a member of this, that and the bloody other, as well as undergo initial safety training etc. It gets very pricey. More so if you have a pistol licence, as you have to join a club and you have to shoot a certain amount of times a year (depending on the type of pistol, as well) as you are not allowed to carry a pistol or shoot it anywhere other than at a pistol range (unless of course you're a police office, games officer or whatever ). With longarms you can get away with not having to shoot at a range providing you have approval from a landowner to shoot wild dogs, for example. If not, you have to attend the range 6 times a year or whatever. It's a pain in the arse and I'm sure it's designed to put people off going through the drama of having a licence and keeping it.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Australians have lost their basic human rights. Australia is no longer part of the free world. During the covid thing, the Australian government went full-bore fascist.

In what's left of the USA, we still have the right to stand up to government.

I don't have to get government permission nor license to vote.

I don't have to get government permission nor license to buy a gun and ammunition.

All Western nations should adopt policies wherein office holders should be limited to a set number of years to hold any office. Holding office should never be a career. Living in the halls of power corrupts the soul and massively so.

Free speech is dwindling here in the States. In other Western nations, one can go to jail for saying that which is not politically correct.

Under the current Australian regime, Big Brother gets to determine what is "true" or "false". Supposedly, god government gives itself permission to do this for the purpose of "protecting the people". If one organizes a conservative party, the media fifth column labels that person a Nazi or a Fascist. Again, it is the Left who behave like fascists. This dictatorial behavior on the part of government slaps one in the face.

The far Left coming out on the side of Hamas terrorism could be a wake-up call, however people seem to be in some sort of a coma induced by opioid government pay-outs. Dependency results in perpetual childhood, the whole Peter Pan syndrome.

https://digi.org.au/disinformation-code/

watcherchris, TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  22. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I thought that post may draw you out of your cave and get you raging. Hahahaha. Hope you're doing okay.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Carried my revolver with me this weekend wherever I went...and with my woman...

l did not hurt or kill anyone...can you believe it???

However....I am noting that economic times are getting more difficult as evidenced by more and more panhandlers everywhere you go.

I am suspecting that soon enough it will not be safe to go to the grocery store/shopping et al...without a lot of escort....particularly for our women.

We seem to be getting more and more two legged wildlife out here..

Picked up two of these gadgets and put them in the back of my car...his and hers..

Amazon.com : aiGear Premium Walking Hiking Stick CNC Machined Outdoor Trekking Poles Color Black(G2647) : Sports & Outdoors

Also have two of these...should we be stuck somewhere amongst a crowd and no where to sit down..in the back of my car.

Amazon.com: Adjustable Folding Cane with Seat Large Capacity Lightweight Crutch Chair Stool with LED Light and Retractable 3 Legs for Seniors Outdoor Travel Aids : Health & Household

I generally do not like big crowds ..but one had best be prepared...after all ..we are preppers.

Will be repeating this process to put in the back of my truck as well.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

24. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha. "I did not hurt or kill anyone...can you believe it???"

That cane looks pretty useful. When I first read your post, I thought the cane must double for a shotgun, spear, sword or something! Very James Bondish.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A GP 100 over here is a motorcycle.
    having to carry a gun everywhere you go must be an awful place to live.
    glad I dont have to live like that.

TMT Tactical, Blitz and watcherchris like this.
  26. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL lonewolf......

I don't have to carry a gun with me anywhere....anytime....ever....

I choose to carry one......

I m very well aware of the dictum ...that when seconds count...the constabulary are minutes away.

Though it has been years ago...I was robbed at gunpoint coming home on my scooter ..right in front of my house.

There are real predators out here..and they do not ask what risks/dangers we face in earning our monies.

What I have to do from time to time is handle Uranium 235.....safely and by the book.

Gives you the warm fuzzies...does it not??

There are worse things out here than a gun....much much much worse...

There was a time years ago when I handled HE in the form of 155mm artillery shells and powder...fuses.

I have also handled liquid pressures up to 21, 000 pounds per square inch.....if it gets away from you it can be deadly....and very very quickly.

Not all of us live and work in safe secure environs..with others taking the risks out of life for us. Once in awhile we have to step out there....really step out there...................

I think that this country is getting ready for another war......and these skills/knowledges/experiences are going to become critical....among a primarily television and or movie trained public.

Someone is going to be wanting people to come out of retirement to fill these experience gaps....if the wars last that long.....

I also know that the US Navy yards cannot handle their work loads...

You never see a Navy yard budget.....told to the public...why is that????

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    You and me both!

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never been robbed and I have never been burgled, our two countries must be very different, and I lived in a city for 40 years so the chance was there.
    whether someone wants to carry or has to carry the result is the same, they carry a gun.,,because they think they may need to use one, its not for ornament or decoration.
    I guess The Wild West is still alive and well!!:p

29. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Same here. I lived not far from Brixton during the London riots. Never had a problem then or any other time when I lived there.

And of course, have lived in Australia for so many years, I've lost count and never had any problems with violence, robbery or anything else here either. Haven't locked our houses or vehicles, and always leave windows wide open, for around the last 30 odd years in Australia. (The UK is a bit different. Whenever we lived there for extended periods, the mentality was a lot different. Everyone locked everything. Something very foreign and strange to us).

I can't fathom having to live in constant fear, having to be armed and on edge. It's a totally foreign concept to me. And yes, I realise what that means.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived in Plymouth, not a very big city, no problems and I travelled in some rough areas.
    everyone locks their doors now but its more of a "just in case" rather than fear of getting robbed, and it would invalidate our house insurance if we left the door unlocked.
    I moved out of the city 25 years ago when I married a country girl, we now live on the very edge of a small market town, fields of sheep and cattle all around and surrounded by Devon countryside.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I love Devon. It was one of my mother's favourite places in the UK. Last time I was in the UK, we spent a week in Torquay. Oh happy times! I do miss it over there. I love Australia but I still have a very big soft spot for the UK.

As a young maiden, I was obsessed with Rupert Brooke's poems. Truth be told, I was obsessed with him at the time and very upset when I learnt that he had died during WWI.

My favourite poem has always been The Soldier, which he penned in 1914:

"If I should die, think only this of me:
    That there's some corner of a foreign field
    That is for ever England. There shall be
    In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
    A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
    Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
    A body of England's, breathing English air,
    Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
    A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
    Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given:
    Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
    And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
    In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

That reminds me. Have you ever been to the Army and Navy surplus store, Anchor Supplies at Ripley? It is absolutely brilliant. I'm presuming it's still there. We always went when in the UK and picked up some amazing stuff.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Torquay is a dump, its full of yobs and drug gangs and old people.
    Plymouth has gone downhill, still have friends there, like most cities its full of drugs and crime.
    best place is out of the cities and into the remoter rural areas , not many people go there.
    life out here is slow pace without any of the problems of the inner cities with their crime, drugs and poverty.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  33. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Touching on the EDC (Every Day Carry) topic. I have a spare tire AND roadside assistance insurance. I hope to never needed either. I carry every day and also hope to never need to bring it out of my holster. Hope in one hand and shyte in the other and see which fills up first. I carry not because America is still the "Wild West" but because human nature has never changed and there are still people that would rather steal, than earn a living. There are still mentally defectives that will kill folks just for the thrill. When all the criminals and crazy folks are locked away, then talk to me about not needing to carry a firearm. Do I live my life in fear, not a bit. Do I worry about getting mugged or robbed, no but I do practice situational awareness. One aspect of being a prepper is to be prepared and I am prepared to defend myself and my family.

34. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Same with most built-up areas now, I guess. But, nevertheless, we had a ball when we stayed. We didn't witness any crime, drugs and the like at the time. We also travelled around Devon in general, including Plymouth and the rural areas. I loved it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Went across the river to Norfolk, Virginia to Bobs Gun and Tackle store.....Downtown Norfolk. I looked for reloading supplies....,in particular I was looking for .410 caliber bullets for reloading .41 Magnum rounds. I have brass and primers a plenty but the bullets are my concern...in about 200 to 210 grain weights.

Bob's had very very few reloading supplies period...

I did pick up one box of 500 count copper plated round nose .45ACP bullets....230 grain and will be putting them back for a future date and or time.

But the .41 Mag bullets are difficult to find.

I called when I got home to my other source across the York River into Glouster and they have none on the shelves. I am glad I called before making that trip.

The other place we like to stop while in Norfolk....downtown is 'Doumars."

Doumars is an olde fashioned drive in and they serve olde fashioned fountain tasting root beer....not the watered down stuff you get today in most cans. Real full flavor Root Beer like in the Olde Days.

Got a bacon Cheeseburger for myself and another for my lady friend ..and fries for both of us ....and of course two fountain Root Beers.....very tasty for all.

I always try to fit in a trip to Doumars when I am in Norfolk.

Doumars is one of those favored places wherein generations have grown up and remember with fondness.

Doumar's Cones & Barbeque - Ghent, Norfolk, VA (doumars.com)

And now you know the rest of the story..

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Primers are back.

Bought some shotgun primers. They had stacks, literally.

I have some perimeter trip alarms that set-off a shotgun primer when activated. These puppies are loud. Adapters for these are available that will fire .22 rim-fire blanks. If using the .22 blanks, use the blanks available at hardware stores that sell automatic nail drivers. These .22 primers come in 5 different varieties -- the #1 primer is mild; the #5 primer is for driving long difficult to drive nails. I've read that one should NOT go over the #3 .22 primer, else the trip mechanism will be damaged by over-pressure.

Me, I use the 209 shotgun primer and it causes no damage even if the primer is punctured. When first testing these, I'd set the primer out too far and this sent the firing pin right through the primer. There were scorch-marks but zero structural damage to the unit. I'd not want to keep doing that. Mine came with a second spring that may have a different tension; however, I didn't experiment with that spring.

These can be used to let everybody know about humans trespassing, however many use them to scare deer away from crops and bears away from one's bee hives. I've read that campers use them to frighten-away hungry bears (never known anybody who did; thus, I can't speak to that working or not; we only have black bears here). I was talking to a local fellow who had a terrible time with one particular bear that had an overwhelming desire to bust into the guy's bee hives. Neither a cattle nor a horse electric fence fazed Mr. Bear. Horse fencing has a royal jolt. Can't remember exactly what worked, but I think he had to build some structure around the hives. I didn't think to mention using a perimeter alarm and I wish I remembered what he ended up doing, but I don't. Anyway, these perimeter trip alarms work for a lot of landowners else they wouldn't be selling so well.

The county where I'm from produces a lot of commercial vegetable products, tomatoes, strawberries, cantaloupe, peppers, ... . There's fertile valley land on either side of that long vital river (my kin are buried in the hills adjacent; Davey Crockett was born and raised in that valley land). When it comes to cantaloupe, deer wreak havoc. A deer will bust one cantaloupe, eat on it, then move on to the next. The deer will NOT finish the whole cantaloupe! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: If the deer would just finish what they started, then the damage might not be so bad, but NOOOO! They can trash a massive area of large field of cantaloupe. These commercial fields are quite large and very valuable, mind you.

upload_2023-11-24_15-5-16.png

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Found this when I got on line ..and have been waiting for another round or this...

I keep saying we are getting ready for a war.....and the absence of such materials available to the public ...and price increases give me a hint of a trend...a direction ...a tell tale..of .something happening in the background.

And I am not talking just about ammunition here..but numerous other commodities steadily in creasing in price...prices.

Starting with food....medicines....and the list goes on ...all with potential military applications.

But you members of course...decide for yourselves.

here this link..

Ammo Prices Set to Rise 'Substantially' (msn.com)

This and other things associated with my work......tell me this is coming....

Ishmaelites run wild..

My non Ishmaelite

38. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm stocked-up on ammo / got it locked away for that horrid day.

Yet, at a outdoor store I frequent, recently they had 9mm Auto (FMJ / range-practice) for under $18 / box of 50, so I just bought another box.

After the prices went up during the covid fiasco, I thought that prices would never go back down. Yet they did.

What with the stupid-sh## wars going on all around this planet and the ones to come, I see the price of ammo going through the roof.

People who have not begun prepping could very well be S.O.L. The dollar is finito. Prices for food are going outrageous. On and on. People should have been prepping long ago.

It's not a matter of when it hits the fan. It is hitting the fan right NOW. This is Dec. 2023 -- the world is in the same/worse situation as in 1914 or 1939. We are right on the stoop of another world war.

Kids, the year 2024 is going to be hell. Me, I personally see no way around this. The boat is heading for the waterfall. You can hear the crashing roar of the falls. You should have jumped ship and swum to shore way back up the river! It's rather late now.

watcherchris likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      Even reloading components are moving up in price. Last week while shopping, I saw a reasonable deal on 12ga ammo, so I bought two boxes. While I probably have more ammo and reloading supplies than I will ever need, you just never know, so I keep buying.

TMT Tactical, Dec 10, 2023
      watcherchris likes this.
  39. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I may have posted this in another thread..but yesterday I went to one of my sources and purchased three boxes of Hornady 41 caliber....410 diameter XTP 210 grain hollow point bullets for reloading .41 Magnum rounds...

Also a one pound can of IMR 4227 and another one pound can of IMR 3031.

This source is getting in more and more varieties powder but it is expensive....

Today I returned and purchased 100 rounds of Starline brass and 300 large pistol primers.

All to be put away for a rainy day...so to speak.

This particular place is one of the few places to have .41 magnum brass and I will be returning for more...

Paid cash of course...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.