Rioting

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Corzhens, May 29, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    What would you do when you are in a crowded place and suddenly there was rioting? Based on the first hand accounts, the best thing to do is to stand still and make a quick observation of what is happening. It is wrong to run immediately for you don’t have a clear view of where to go. After determining the exact location of the riot, move slowly away from it. That’s easy if the rioting is confined to one area. But if it’s a free for all, it would be dangerous to move away for some rioters might run after you. Crawling is the best way to escape. Another way is to play possum by sitting on the ground and not moving at all as if you are injured. More likely the rioters will ignore you.

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Crawling or sitting on the groun doesn't seem like good ideas, what if the rioters accidentally step on you - the fact that they ignore you isn't good in this cases. Of course you should have to stay calm and not run anywhere: identify a non crowded place and slowly walk here, and then move further away from the riot.
    Of course if you are unlucky enough to be righ in the middle of the rioters I don't know if there is something effective you could do...

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never been in a riot, but it seems to me that if you are not a part of the riot or part of the cause of the riot, then the rioters will not be the problem if you stay out of their way. The police will be your main problem. Seek shelter & try & get as far away from the area as possible. You may be able to do this by leaving the shelter building by the rear door, then move into another building & do the same thing.
    Keith.

4. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure I'd try to escape the situation as quick as I can. Not with running away but slowly backing away from the rioters.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    In both the UK and US the police are trained in a tactic called kettling. It is based on containment not dispersal. Best tactic is to get off the street ASAP or you may get herded in with the rioters. When any disturbance starts walk strait into any reasonably secure building, calmly walk in and inform the staff that"there's a disturbance outside, they may wish to secure the doors to protect those in the building." If you request their permission to sit it out there they're unlikely to turn you out. (This tactic is also be a good response to the type of terror attack with vehicles & knives that we have experienced in London recently)
    Avoid bars, stores with high value goods, government buildings and do not stand near Windows or try to cross police lines. During a riot you'll need to be calm and alert to shifts in the mood of both the crowd and tactics of the police.

6. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have experienced riots when I was in college and good thing I was inside the campus when it happened. On one occasion although I was inside the campus, one of the people rioting accidentally get inside the campus and pass not far away infront of me but still I was able to move away.

7. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Civil unrest is a part of why we don't live in the city. I have only been in an urban area during a riot once. I was there on business with a colleague and we just got a deal away from the trouble area via auto. In general, if I was a city dweller, and I couldn't bug out, I'd hole up, have plenty of supplies, and be armed to protect myself. Beyond that, I think you'd just have to wait until order is restored.

8. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Kind of. At least here in the States. Many, actually most in recent decades, of riots here are racially motivated. If you happen to be of the "wrong" race (as defined by the perpetrators) in the area, you can be subjected to intimidation, property destruction, abuse, or outright murder. A lot of totally innocent folks have been harmed in those events.

9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I've never been in a riot. But I'm originally from a large city. I don't like large crowds in general. The better you know the area & are aware of exits from that area the better your chances. It seems most riots progress with stages of escalation. Learn to spot problems early & exit quickly. If a situation don't seem right, it ain't! Move!

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A fellow told me about the Rodney King riots in L.A., they had a big BBQ at their apt. complex -- who was going to enforce the "no open fires" statute?! Everyone had beer, lots of food, and guns. The rioters got within three city blocks; the party goers were simply going to throw as much lead into the looters as they could manage. No National Guard had made it to the party to disarm the innocent to protect the looters as did happen in other neighborhoods. Remember, the police and military will be there to disarm you and protect the looters and arsonists.

Look up Iowa State Fair and "beat whitey night". Same thing happened at Wisconsin State Fair. There were also attacks wherein people stuck in traffic exiting the fair had their car windows bashed-out and then were assaulted in their cars. Some were dragged out of their cars to be beaten. A female police officer who confirmed these attacks on-air, lost her job as press liaison -- back to traffic cop for her.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Move to the nearest blank wall. You don't want to be in front of a window but you do want to limit the directions of possible approach. Once in place try and determine the direction that the riot is in and where it is moving towards and slowly move down the wall in the other direction. Running isn't good because you can too easily run into trouble. Don't run towards the police!! Walk slowly with your hands in front of you and visible. Cops are only human and they are going to be pumping adrenaline and you don't want to look ANYTHING like a threat to them. The same is true of the rioters. Keep your eyes sort of down and avoid crowds where you could be knocked down and trampled. This is not the time to be very notable. Be like a mouse and just carefully move down the edges until you are out of it.

We don't have many riots in Texas because here the basic plan of action for all to many may start with draw your legally carried handgun. The last thing a rioter wants to see is an armed group of citizens.