Roadside Emergency Kit

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, Nov 26, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "link unavailable due to legal reasons".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Link worked fine for me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    They say fire extinguisher in the 2nd paragraph... Though honestly the car fires I've seen unless you catch it as soon as it starts, like where you are working and you get a back fire, till you find it those little extinguishers don't do much of anything. Guess makes us feel good at least.

On the jumper cables it's to jump off of another vehicle or to jump someone else. Most of those charger packs suck and everyone I've had over the years wouldn't hold a charge after about a year. I had a half decent Diehard one maybe 10 years back and had a small Shumacker(sp?) one I kept in the wife's van but it lasted about the year. On cable make sure they are heavy gauge, not those flimsy things. The other summer we were at a picnic and a lady was trying to jump another lady's SUV and it wouldn't do crap. She was going on about how these are from the emergency kit, blah blah.. and I was like why don't we try mine. Her's didn't seem much heavier than an extension cord. So I grabbed the cables from my truck, and hooked their 2 vehicles together. had he run up to about a 2500RPM and held it there about 20 seconds and then had lady hit it. Fired right up. I had had them try that with the "emergency" kit cable and it would barely make a click.

I do shake my head at these lists that suggest carrying a can of gas in the vehicle. Bad idea unless you have a pickup and it's in the bed. At most I could see having an empty 2gal can in case you were totally oblivious to your gas gauge and ran out and had to walk to get some. But question should be, why did you let it ever get below a quarter tank?

Can't say I totally disagree on the traffic triangles but I still suggest carrying 2 or 3 as if for nothing else if you have to light a fire and fast, you are set.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and varuna like this.
  6. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Well fire extinguisher is more appropriate for someone like me who sensitive to any weird smell albeit I'm a smoker with a habit of smoking while driving to reduce stress. Anyway something is always better than nothing.

You could always try to replace the battery (depend on the make & model, may not be practical). Most of battery these days were made out of 18650 cells. And good cell such as those from Panasonic or Nitecore have calendar cycle at least 2 years.

I know right. If anyone ever need to bring fuel can they most likely be doing long distance off-road excursion driving 4x4 or AWD truck, and those people typically already planing out their logistic down to detail.

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep both the triangles and the road flares. Tough to light a fire with a Triangle and the flares burn out too fast. Stopped carrying the battery jumper kits, they failed to often. Keep jumper cables now, heavy duty and very long. Never carry gas cans, empty or other wise. Keep vehicle fueled up. I do keep a small fire extinguisher in the trunk. As VRUNA says, "better than nothing", it might help.

CountryGuy likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    apart from the usual tools I carry a GHB, that's about it as we have roadside assistance, not going far during winter months maybe 50 mile round trip.

TMT Tactical likes this.