Should you learn how to master seed planting?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by hades_leae, Jun 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    One thing that I have learned about recently is that the most smartest preppers would also collect seeds because they are super portable.

Anyone who knows anything about being able to still have food after SHTF happens, they would know that you need to collect thousands of all types of seeds for many reasons that may be unknown right now, but generally for the purpose of growing food when that time comes.

John Snort likes this.
  2. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Preppers should stock up on seeds. It doesn't matter if they do any gardening now. In case they have to leave their homes post event, all they'll need is to find some fertile land, plant their seeds and after a short while they'll no longer need to forage because they'll could have vegetables and grain for flour.

p.s There's a man I know who likes pumpkins so much that he always has a packet of pumpkin seeds with him always. Should anything happen . . .

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it is important to learn how to grow certain plants and in what conditions. I mean, if you have no clue how to grow peppers, you're going to have a bad time. If you don't have the right pH balance in the soil, your tomatoes aren't going to be happy campers. Growing stuff from seeds can be quite the chore!

But you are correct. Seeds are indeed very portable. You can also gather them from fruits and vegetables along the way for an infinite (or nearly infinite) supply.

Steve-0 likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    for emergency post apocalypse seed planting you need to store "heritage" seeds, that's the non hybrid type, hybrid seeds are noted as F1 on the packet.
    hybrid seeds may give you one crop but the seeds they produce are not fertile and are of no use in a survival situation.

5. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Learning how to properly collect and store valuable seeds (especially those that bear food like fruits and vegetables) is a very important undertaking among preppers. And it should be. When things go down the drain, your survival might completely rely on how good you are in raising your own food.

Steve-0 likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not might..................will!:D