"snack" Bars For Kit

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, Oct 8, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/07/best-tasting-snack-bars/index.htm

Good morning all,

In yesterday's 7 Oct 19 pulp Wall Street Journal Business and Finance section was an article titled "Traditional Snack Bars Face Nutty Conundrum" by Annie Gasparro. Article tells of some of the manufacturers changing their recipes re the trend "toward snack bars that are higher in protein and low in sugar .. leaving other brands behind".

Above is pay wall so cannot link here. Hoping this is good section of forum for writing this up.

Above link is from my notes as a basic reference if pursuing this subject.

Related to above; Just about as important to me as the product is the packaging. I like the strongest sealed package for anti-bug, anti vermin protection. Sometimes when products change, so too, does the packaging.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been very happy with both the Clif and Nature Valley brands. Clif is more expensive but a larger serving. I have not checked a shelf life or expiration date on either brand, but I would expect they would get stale after some time.

My Go-To in that case would be honey. Put some honey on it to bring it back to life.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan,

Me too; My preference goes to Clif and honey is an add-on if needed ... and conditions allow for a little longer break to add the nectar of the gods.

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like the Cliff Bars and Pure Protein Bars for my regular carry bags but then supplement that with various dense survival rations like Mainstay and Datrex rations. They come in 3600 calorie size but I also have then in 400 calorie size for small kits.

I like the survival rations because they are focused on nutritional needs more than taste and so I am not so tempted to munch on them for a snack. They aren't bad tasting but they are not like a Cliff bar either. I also used to store what was called Diabetic meal bars, glucose tabs, And have considered the Survival Tabs. You can go for a long time on400 calories a day if it also covers your vitamin and mineral needs. It will keep you healthy between kills and gathered meals while you are on the move.

I look at survival or prepper foods slightly different. One is strictly emergency food and it needs to be packed with calories and nutrition while at the same time being portable. For prepper type foods I look more towards shelf life and place more concern on taste and easy cooking. where the survival rations are eaten as is. I also buy my One-a-day vitamins in quantity and always have several years supply on hand. Each has its place and each is important.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This topic has been very informative. Thanks everybody.

Vehicle 12v reverse-thermocouple refrigerators are available. Here's something out of Germany:

http://www.dealsofbest.com/6l-12v-3...i-hot-and-cold-black-car-refrigerator-30.html

Watch out, one side of the thrmcple will give you a delta of 60 F deg. vs. ambient. Well, what if ambient is only 52 F? You could freeze your container. However few insulation methodologies will keep that 60 deg. delta. Know your delta factor to ambient.

This electronic method of cooling doesn't have to be located a vehicle. Say you want to store insulin (danger, don't freeze insulin!), use a 12V lead-acid battery to power a reverse-thermocouple fridge. Charge the battery with solar cells or small windmill.

One of the cardinal sins that could endanger your immortal soul is allowing fine chocolates to melt. Few otherwise well-read God-fearing people know this. It's in the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Koran, Bhagavad Gita, the Tripitaka, the Avesta, ... . Chocolate is sacred. Allowing such desecration causes God to weep.

Another reality; part of keeping kids sane during dire times is the occasional treat. Raisins store I don't even know how long and if you put them in a sealed container with O2 absorption packs, then the shelf life would have to go way up there. Keep flavored drink powders of favorite flavors. Like anyone is going to worry about some "unbalanced diet" during hard times. Holy crap! Get calcium tabs for kids. Put them with your nuclear war prep. iodine tabs. Let your kids play in the sun for their Vit. D.

6. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TexDanm,

You've introduced an important point in the several methods of cataloging inventories - in this case being foods.

My matrix and flow chart cannot make the distinction between prepper type foods and survival rations.

This is because here on a tidal flood plain in a forest, along with the threat of wildfires and epidemics, it can be a 600 second - 10 minutes - alert and respond. The cans of sardines and salmon are the same as the hand tools. If not pre-packed for evac, they're abandoned.

When I lived in D.C., I did follow and adhere to your above definitions.