Some Thoughts On "designated" Survival Pants.

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by Sourdough, Jun 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Some thoughts on "designated" Survival Pants.

For survival pants, I like the "Double" front with the ability to insert knee pads or stuff them with grass or anything you can stuff into that pocked for working on your knees.

I am not a fan of any military pants. I do like the drawstring closure at the ankle feature, but if necessary I can use Duck Tape or 550 cord.

Nearly all of my pants are CARHARTT Brand, but DELUTH Brand is also heavy duty Duck or Canvas material. Sadly today I discovered they no longer offer any Work pants with buttons for wearing suspenders. I really dislike wearing a belt to hold up pants, with a "Battle Belt".

And so with deep regret I have (today) ordered CARHARTT Overalls/Coveralls. The one sucky thing about suspenders either on pants or overalls, is you have to remove your coat/parka to drop your pants/overalls to poop. That sucks in the arctic winter time.

A zipper "Fly" is important to me as it is hell trying to button steel buttons wearing mittens or gloves. For me I go with slightly shorter inseam, as these are not for "Looking Pretty or Sexy", but for working and wilderness wandering. Longer inseam allows for greater snagging on stuff, and slightly shorter inseam works goooder with work boots, "especially" with calk boots (Logging boots).

I'll add more later.

2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump......to start thread.

3. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    dude....i never seen a saw shop out west that didnt have bachelor buttons...get a pack or 12 packs.

or various places on the net..

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=bachelor+buttons+for+suspenders&FORM=SHOPTB

you can tell who has spent serious time in the brush....pants length 3/4 or so and cut off so no seam snags on brush....calk boots...the more experience goes to the tall boots...your shins will love tall boots in the day after day brush busting...but i am sure you know that.

if you look at old photos the old timers wore tall boots and some type of nicker length wool pants in the bush often.

if i was to get on alone i would have 3/4 length wool bibs.

also working around coastal area or rivers and lakes jumping in out of boats and such long pants get wet and 'they just keep growing' in length on you....lol

when i moved to PNW...after my first day in the woods when i got off i went straight to saw shop and drop $300 for a pair of west coast leather calked boots....never regretted it once...next day i showed up on job site with boots..my old timer boss looked at them and said well you're smart enough to go get real boots i think you will do well kid.

BeKK81u11T6Xl9jMEd6MeAEAbH90smb_.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    coffee likes this.
  4. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
  5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Damn.........I am ashamed to say I had forgot about those bachelor buttons, I got used to ordering pants with buttons.......Thanks for the reminder.

6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have had very good luck with the 511 brand. Comfortable. Wear well. They have the reinforced knees with rubber pads that can be removed. Wide range of prices, and colors if that matters.

7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon IBME and all,

Can anyone "explain":

Duck material;
    Canvas material.
    and what is "oil cloth" ie its composition' its attributes ?

Merci in advance.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.