Speed Loading & Firing A Flintlock Smoothbore.

Discussion in 'Pre-1900s Guns and Ammo' started by Keith H., Jul 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Love his economy of motion. Too bad the Brown Bess was about as accurate as a fart in a hurricane.

3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A close friend of mine had a Brown Bess, I don't recall it being any less accurate than my fusil.
    Keith.

4. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I watched the video, i could not believe it , very fast, but he was firing a smaller round ball than normal. normally you want a tight fit between the ball patch and barrel and therefore must use a starter rammer. then the ram rod .

5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not so with the smoothbore Bill. Originally smoothbores did not use patching (actually neither did rifles), just a wad or wadding, round ball & another wad or wadding. Just like loading shot. You can use an undersized ball & patch it, but it is still easy to load in a smoothbore with just the ramrod. The military used paper cartridges, which were faster to load. You bite off the end of the cartridge, pour the gunpowder charge down the barrel, push the rest of the paper cartridge down the barrel, prime & fire. Actually the correct military way was to use some of the cartridge powder to prime first, but this is a dangerous way of doing it so I don't recommend it.

Keith.

6. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Keith, if you had a loose fit between the smooth bore and the round ball didn't you lose a lot of velocity and accuracy ?

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Loading with a cartridge yes, but then this was not an issue for the military considering the way they conducted their battles in the 18th century. Loading with a wad over the powder charge you don't lose any velocity, but you will lose some accuracy. This may not matter if the distance is not too far. Loading a patched ball is far more accurate.
    Keith.