Spruce Tip Syrup

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Caribou, Nov 27, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I was given a bottle of Spruce Tip Syrup, about 3 OZ. Do I have something for my pancakes or something for my medicine cabinet?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't know but be sure to update us when you find out.

Caribou likes this.
  3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    it is most likely one of many ingredients for making spruce beer, a colonial favorite.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  4. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
  6. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    THE MEDICINE CABINET!!!
    Spruce tips are high in vitamin C and contain an oil that is antimicrobial, antibacterial and immune-stimulating and can be used as a salve for skin rashes, cold sores, skin rashes, dry skin, bug bites and as a rub for chest congestion, joint aches, headaches, and arthritis.

Rebecca, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  7. Caribou

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Justin.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone know if you can also make this syrup using pine, as opposed to Spruce? I would love to give this a go, but I don't think Spruce is a common tree here in Aus, unless you buy one from the nursery. We have a lot of pine trees in the forests however.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    not to say it's not doable but I cannot recall pine pitch being used for food. It is usually used for pitch glue. I have often wondered about pine nuts for food. Pine nuts have been used for food but I have not tried to harvest them

10. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. I haven't been able to find anything on the net thus far. I was hoping, being a similar species, that it would have similar properties and be able to make the syrup.

11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Arthritis almost always has an autoimmune component, therefore anything that stimulates the immune system can -- and usually does -- make arthritis symptoms and damage worse.

I must take drugs to suppress my immune system, else I could go totally crippled and/or have severe internal organ damage. If the immune system is working OK, then leave it alone. One does need vitamin C to prevent scurvy. Vit C is water soluble; take a bunch of Vit. C and you will simply urinate it out.

I could be convinced that some coniferous pitch could be used on some skin malady, however I'm not drinking it.

Rose hips are great for delivering vit. C..

12. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    balsam fir pitch is awesome on burns. When I was a youngster I would chew spruce pitch and beeswax as a "chewing
    gum" it mellowed out after a spell.

13. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Interesting. I too suffer chronic arthritis. Your post has certainly given (excuse the pun) food for thought.

14. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Most appreciative.

Now I understand about my arthritic situation.

My symptoms are just routine misery ...... The damage info; now I understand.

Merci with a southern accent.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I know next to nothing about spruce but do know a good bit about pine tree sap . As a kid we kept a gallon jug of pine sap derived turpentine . I have seen some impressive cuts that were simply douced with turpentine , wraped with an old rag douced in turpentine and that was about the beginning and end of the first aid and any other aid for that matter . The best turpentine comes from the long leaf pine species . It is noted for its rich and potent pine sap . This species only grows in the south east United States and has become rare to find even there . This particular tree is also the only pine tree the old timers considered worthy of its aged and dead remains to be considered what we called lighter . Lighter had that special resign to burn hot and easily . I haven't tried the store bought variety of lighter " stores might give it a different name " but I doubt what they try to pass as lighter would cut it by the S.E. old timers . I have a chunk of real lighter laying by my wood cook stove that I haven't brought myself to cut up with my axe and using as it is simply to precious to burn frivolously . ----As for as eating pine cone seeds , yes they are eatable but the seeds are so small you would starve to death trying to harvest enough seeds to survive on .

TMT Tactical, Blitz and Caribou like this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for such an interesting post. I had never heard of turpentine derived from pine sap. Do you have a pic you can post of the pine needles/cones? Wondering if it's the same type we have here - we have some pines that are Australian that have small nutlets in the cones, or if it's a species that was originally from America.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a picture of the long leaf pine or the computer knowledge on how to post it . I can give a description . The needles are about 10 to 12 inches long " thus comes the name long leaf pine " . The cones it produces is larger than any other pine tree " that I am aware of ". The trunk tends to grow taller , straighter and less lower limbs than other pine species " which makes it a more valuable tree than other pines . It is a slower growing species of pine . I don't know if it is still done but back in the day the bark would be cut and a catch container placed under the cut to collect sap . The sap would normally be placed in 55 gal drums and taken to the processing plant and sold .

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Blitz like this.
  18. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the additional info. I'll google and see if I can find it to compare.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    some pine nuts may be small but pinon pine is decent size at least the Apache and such thought so. I noticed on happy people, a year in the taiga. The folks on the show used a big wooden hammer to thump a pine tree shake down the cones. Not sure what pine they are but they harvested the cones for the seeds.

I noticed at the museum of the Appalachia there is a flat rock with a peace sign pecked into it. A peace sign with a couple extra angles. Anyhoo they would take a metal bucket of fat pine chunks and turn the bucket upside down over the peace sign. Seal everything up with clay other than a little trough coming out of it. A fire was built on top and thee pine tar would run down the little trough into a container.

20. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Wow, so interesting. Thanks. I wouldn't mind trying that, just to see what happens. Not that I'll get the opportunity for a while, given the constant fire bans here until March/April. Still, I'll try and remember to give it a go when I can.

Thanks again. :)

poltiregist, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.