Storing Fresh Water

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Pragmatist, Jul 3, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Why do you need to carry around water? Water is heavy 1L = 1Kg, that is a lot to take when your on foots for extended duration.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening Varuna,

I need to carry water in case of an evacuation by pickup truck or by walking to inflatable boat.

Yes, water is heavy but it is a requirement for life / health.

Walking 1 - 2 km could take hours under adverse conditions.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. danil54grl

danil54grl Expert Member
      125/173

Blog Posts:
    I always carry around a cup of something. . . be it coffee cup or whatever fruity drink I made up that day. But I will honestly say I do not keep stored water other than a couple cases of water on hand and honestly those will probably taste like plastic. We have a well that will run off electricity or propane generator that is our backup. After that, we have a hand pump. And if all that fails we have a canal that runs down our property. During Harvey I did boil our water to sterilize just in case. In a disaster situation, you normally have a warning and I will fill up bathtubs along with washing machine to have clean water on hand. If you have access to water, you would only need a life straw to purify away from home.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Danil,

The disaster situations are worse.

Here around the Chesapeake Bay, life straws are not ideal. Speaking of natural disasters, ~50% of fish are mercury laden. The rivers (a couple of exceptions) are polluted. Re non-natural disasters - I'm including COVID-19 pandemic - medical waste is thrown in forests, Homeless camp next to rivers. Results guaranteed.

During SHTF, especially with COVID, for an evacuation from shelter, only one's bottled water is safe for a move. A domestic terrorism threat: pure upheaval. Forest fires are realistic.

danil54grl and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    1 pint of water weighs 1LB, so a western canteen holding 3 pints =3 lbs, no wonder they always threw them away when they were empty.
    if someone is bugging out on foot they are not going to be able to carry much of anything very far including water, the more water they carry the heavier it will be.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

And conversely, no one is going any further than their water supply.

I have a short hike for 2 of my realistic scenarios. 4 quarts of water will suffice for Madam Prag and me.

If a longer walk, there is an "invention" by US AID called a "water wheel". Fill it up with drinkable water and the wheel is pulled by a leash to the wheel's axle.

I would guess aforesaid applicable to your arrangements also eg a forest fire, dangerous gas in area, authorities announce mandatory evacuation due terrorists.

My good news; A Hades SHTF event and electronic communications stops for private citizens. Thus, no need for a cell, sat phone and weight reallocation to water supply.

Prep, prep, prep
    and
    factor in safety

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no one is going very far in the UK for that very reason, unless they have a water filter any water source they come to is suspect especially in the lowland agricultural areas where chemical use is heavier and widespread. not that many modern people could find a water source anyway, if it dosent come out of a pipe or tap they havent got a clue.

TMT Tactical and danil54grl like this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just this week thinking about water preps.

Bought yet another water purifier. Seems I've got a span of variations now.

Bought an adapter that allows one to attach a garden hose to a regular indoor water spigot, like a kitchen or bathroom sink spigot. I have 15-gallon water tanks. These tanks have two threaded openings. One access point is around 2 inches in diameter. The other access is threaded for an outdoor type of spigot. Guess what I screw into the latter; yes, just regular outdoor spigots that allow a garden hose to be attached. In the larger oriface, I can shoot-in a massive flow of water. Out of the smaller with the spigot, I can access water at a variable rate of outflow.

Right now, I've got a couple of these 15 gal barrels inside my house. I brought them in for another cleaning and too, things are getting chaotic in this world and so I've gotta be ready to fill those puppies in a moment's notice. Too, there's a stream walking distance from my house and a river a half mile away. Up in these adjacent mountains, there's a stream in every holler.

In the U.S., regulations state that there must be a gravity-feed water source, a water tower or hillside tank (giant), holding sufficient water to feed a specified amount of water to the households in each tower's water lines. This is done because irregular water intake flows can vary. Also, if there are power outages, households can't be left without water.

https://www.epa.gov/regulatory-information-topic/regulatory-and-guidance-information-topic-water

https://cunninghaminc.org/a-compreh...-water-tower-for-a-municipality-water-system/

https://www.nationalstoragetank.com/tank-calculator/

So, if the power goes out due to some SHTF event such as EMP killing a power grid, then you must IMMEDIATELY fill your water tanks and your bathtubs with water before your neighbors fill theirs. If your water comes from a well, then you must always have some tanks filled with water.

A filled 15 gallon water weighs 120 lb. / 55 kilo. This is managable, you can roll these around yourself or like me, use a two wheel dolly. I have 4 dollies, two of which are 2-wheeled, one is a medium duty 4-wheeler, and one is a heavy-duty 4-wheeler. You can roll a 4' x 8' pool table with a 1" slate on the latter. My dad and I used to have to do that. My family and I guess every other family always had 55-gal drums used as roof rainwater catches. I don't use the metal 55 gal type. Mine are some sort of heavy polimer -- one can see fibers in the material. Quite frankly, I don't know how many gallons these things hold. I think its around 40 gallons of rainwater (???). One is a barrel and one is tub like you'd feed critters with. These are for my garden. I attach hoses and run the water to the garden area.

Well there's another data-dump out of this old brain of mine. Sorry for my flow-of-conscious type of writing. It's what I have.

Here's a crude but true reality: For bad times, have preparations to access clean water or die.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we use 45 gallon water barrels, we have 8 of these and they are always full.
    have various water filters from small personal ones up to ones that will filter larger quantities, remember any water not from the mains needs to be boiled as well as filtered before use.
    once the mains shut down post SHTF you will have to find untreated water .

TMT Tactical likes this.