Sudden medical contingencies

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by remnant, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    In life, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Some situations that people encounter are usually unforeseen. Take medical emergencies like stroke or cardiac arrest for example. These strike when least expected and in any location. How well are you prepared for such emergencies?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    how can anyone be prepared for such things as stroke or cardiac arrest, these things just happen.
    we can prepare for a lot of things, but not even preppers are mind readers.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    John Snort likes this.
  4. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    If you are the victim there's not much you can do but if it someone who is with you who has a cardiac arrest then the best to prepare for that would be to get some knowledge on what has to be done. There are no guarantees however that the little you can do will save that person's life.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if someone is liable to be a victim of this I think they need to make adjustments to their lifestyle now, not sit and wait for a heart attack to strike later.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Heart attacks can strike anyone anytime anywhere.
    Just a few days ago a young fit couple were involved in a road rage incident, her man and another driver.
    After the other driver had attacked the car the woman in her early 20's and fit looking had a heart attack and then another when she wea helivact to hospital
    Still on life support! Reports are the woman scared herself to death via heart attack!

7. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    A heart attack isn't the same thing as a cardiac arrest. In the event of a cardiac arrest you're only hope is to get your hands on a defibrillator very quickly, even then it's only a small percentage of people survive. Heart attacks are the leading cause of cardiac arrest but it's not the same thing, if you are at risk of heart attack after SHTF you need to stock up on aspirin, same for a stroke, there is probably not much else you can do.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
  9. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    It's important for me to state that I am talking about a situation where you can't call an ambulance post apocalypse. Of course if you encountered someone not breathing you should immediately call for an ambulance and commence CPR....however....

CPR can't get you out of a cardiac arrest, it's a wide misconception and a lot of people seem to think that doing CPR will suddenly revive someone because they have seen it in movies. What CPR does (and I assume you mean compressions and breaths) is keep the blood pumping around the body by manually compressing the heart muscle, this keeps a small amout of oxygen flowing to the brain UNTIL a cardiac defibrillator can be attatched and (if the arrythmia is shockable) a shock/s can be given. Compressions and breaths themselves cannot bring a person out of cardiac arrest so unless you have a defib and some cardiac drugs and someone who knows how to use them CPR won't help.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes that's what I meant, I've done some first aid training and learnt the compressions and breath, but i'm not medically trained and I bow to your superior and more modern knowledge.

11. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Not sure the sarcasm is necessary, it's important to know this stuff...

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it wasn't sarcasm it was a compliment!!!!

Lisa likes this.
  13. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Yea right, you're British! We live on sarcasm ;)

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you might, i'm a different generation:p

Lisa likes this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    oh sorry, giving a female a compliment is not allowed in p.c. Britain is it??:D

16. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha, it is allowed, it just doesn't happen very often. That's why I always assume it's a dig :p

17. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    The best we can do is try to adhere to healthy practices as much as we can. However, it will not guarantee that we would be safe from being afflicted by these diseases. However, there instances where we see people and deem them to be quite healthy and only to be surprised when we hear that they have had a stroke or heart attack. Sometimes these affiliations may have been passed-on through heredity. The best option, however, is the maintain the best lifestyle possible in order to seek to eliminate being afflicted by these diseases. Probably more often or not this method will bring favourable results.

18. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have First Aid training and would know what to do if I would see someone showing the symptoms of a cardiac arrest or stroke.
    But if it were to happen to myself then I would not know how to react to it fast enough because most likely I would just be in shock.
    I would hope that there is someone with me who knows what to do or at least can get help quickly....

19. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The reason they're called preppers is because its a constant state of being. There is no way to be prepared for everything, so the skillset stems from the desire to be more and more prepared over time to minimize contingencies.