Survival And Emergency Kits

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by TexDanm, Dec 22, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Survival and Emergency kits

I tend to break down my survival things into smaller kits each covering a very specific area of need. They vary in size according to what they will be used for. The smallest needs to fit in a coat pocket and the largest is what I want at my bug out location (BOL). I have put a lot of thought into each one and try to make it as complete as possible depending on the size that I am trying to allow.

These kits then are put together forming, as near as possible, a master kit that will cover as many of the necessities as possible. The areas of interest in no special order, are Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Food gathering, Tools, Protection, Medical, Sewing, Signaling, Cooking, Storage and Carrying, Clothing,

I am a compulsive list maker and over the years and have fine tuned a lot of these lists to near perfection for ME and my talents and skill levels. When you do this you have to be realistic about what you need and what you can do. A lot of that has to do with your personal comfort levels in the areas that you live or plan to bug out to. I am blessed in that I live in a very forgiving environment with basically no snow and very few nights with hard freezes. I am also the top of the food chain here and don’t have to worry about big cats, or bears. About the only predator here that might ever bother a human here is an occasional gator and I’m extremely comfortable with them having been raised in heavy gator country.

What this all means is that my only worry is from people, hunger or thirst. I also have some comfort requirements so want a little shelter. I’m extremely comfortable in the woods and have always spent a lot of time alone in the woods and swamps both at night and during the daytime. Being “lost” in the woods is something that I used to do for fun. I don’t stay lost long.

Basically, I have two kinds of kits. One is in my pocket or a small fanny pack anything I go in the woods. It is intended for say an unexpected over night or two stay in the woods. I also carry one of these in my boat. You never know when something might happen to you and you need to stay in the woods. Boats break down and I often am 15 miles or so from civilization in my boat. You can get hurt and need to wait for rescue or get lost in a storm and just want to give it up and hunker down until the storm passes.

The other sort is always a lot bigger and more intricate. These are survival bug out kits and may be all that I have for the foreseeable future. Once again though you need to make some serious decisions about where, what and how you plan to survive and how many people you will have with you.

The needs if you are going Daniel Boone and heading for the deep woods your needs will be a lot different from a plan that involves some scavenging in less rural areas. Lock picks, bump keys and such are useless in the woods but awful handy for opening warehouse doors.

I for example will be in a rural but not deep forest area. I will want snares, fishing gear and traps but also will want the lock persuaders and pry-bars. Most people think of stores when they want to loot food. I know that the warehouses that supply the stores and restaurants are a much better place to look. There you will find food in quantities that stores don’t sell. 100lb bags of rice and beans, 50lb bags of flour, cornmeal and mixes. Cases of canned goods in mountain sized piles. Warehouses don’t have big glass windows they have heavy steel doors and pad locks. In a truck kit I will have bolt cutter. You could usually break the lock with a big hammer or even try to shoot it of but why make noise if you can avoid it.

For a lot of knowledge about what you will need if you are headed for the woods you should look towards the late 1700s and early 1800s American history and the things that people carried then as they scouted the west in the US. They were dealing with a situation a lot like we are talking about. They had to provide their own food, water and shelter while at the same time being careful about contact with other humans. Most of the Native American tribes were good people and more or less treated you as you treated them but some were territorial as hell and some had already had some bad experiences with the white man and were NOT friendly. This will be a lot like what you may face for a while after things fall until it settles down again.

We are fortunate here to have Keith who is an expert on that basic period and what they used. While I’m not comfortable with going all the way down that path as he has, I don’t have his skills, I still can see the advantages of a simple, if somewhat more modern, kit.

Another consideration when putting together is less talked about. MONEY! If you have plenty of it that is nice but you can put together a totally functional kit for very little money. The most important part of any kit is free as far as dollars and weighs nothing…Knowledge. Knowledge allows you to carry a fully functional rod and reel, Bow and Arrows, and animal traps in and on a large pill bottle. A piece od flint and steel or in my case a big ferrocerium rod that will light thousands of fires is a lot smaller and more permanent than any matches or lighters. An intricate and in-depth knowledge of your local flora and fauna turns the world into you own personal grocery store. There is plenty to eat out there. Animals do quite well. You can to if you just know what to eat and what NOT to mess with. The less gadget oriented you are the safer you will be.

Primitive people traveled all over the world with little more than a flint knife and a tomahawk Their survival kit was the knowledge they had been taught. As much as possible make yours that way too. Books are not as good as elders but they can start you off and allow you to find your way. That will also help you find your own elders. Like draws like and when you get out of your house and into the woods you will meet people. Many will gladly help you on your path.

CountryGuy, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    First of all many thanks for the recognition Tex, much appreciated, though I have never really thought of myself as an expert, because I am very much aware that there is always more to learn.

Having said that I would like to pick up on the point that Tex has made on skills. I recently posted a list of skills on another forum that our group members practice & that I am personally proficient in. I asked forum members what skills they had. Most just said that yes they had the same skills, yet frankly I very much doubt this was the case. I am still learning, there is always more to learn. So if you have any questions on skills or on a particular skill, do not be embarrassed to ask, we all had to start somewhere, I was not born with these skills! I am an old man now, so I have had a lot of years to learn in, & frankly I wish I had paid more attention when I was younger & started learning earlier!

Tex has mentioned kits & equipment, choosing the right equipment is a skill in itself, & Tex obviously has studied his environment & has the skill to choose the right equipment for HIS needs. This is why it is important not to base all your needs & equipment on other peoples choices, because their needs may not be your's given the environment you intend to survive in. So ask questions, people like Tex who have years of experience under their belt can help you if you ask specific questions. Not all people know everything, but someone will be able to answer your questions based on there experiences.
    Keith.

CountryGuy likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Tex and Keith. You need the tools for the environment and the skills to use those tools. I live in an urban location so I need the skills for urban and semi-rural life. I have and can pick locks, shim padlock and activate and deactivate heavy steel roll up doors. I have bolt cutters, cable cutters (big difference) lock picks, bump keys and a manual hand drill. I don't brake locks, I quietly unlock them. Locks are designed to keep honest people honest, they are not intended to stop those trained to open them. You can drill out the tumblers and open the most case harden padlock built. Lock picks work wonders on front door dead bolts. None of these tools will help me grow a crop. They will not help me snare a rabbit or a rat. So all skills are required for the long haul.

CountryGuy and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Now those are skills I do not have!
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bet you would if you had lived in the area's I have. LOL

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes well I suppose that is right, not too many locks to pick in the woods :)
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I started picking locks when I was a kid but didn't spend much time doing it until I started doing repairs. A lot of the places that I went were rent properties. I would meet the landlord there and find out that the tenant had changed the locks without giving the landlord a key. I got tired of sitting around waiting on a locksmith to come pop the lock and so started doing it as part of my service. House locks are so simple that they really are only to keep honest people out because it doesn't take much to learn to open them. I have a full set of picks and keys and shims. It has become sort of a hobby. I have always liked puzzles and used to even do a Rubic's cube in well under a minute. here is nothing nefarious in my lock picking. I'm an honest person BUT I like to KNOW things. I have never hurt anyone past a little blood, bruises and maybe a little fractured bones but I KNOW how to do a lot more than that. I know how to make bombs and sincerely hope that is one of several skills that I will never have to use...but I wanted to KNOW how. I am an information junkie.

CountryGuy, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    @TexDanm
    After reading your post, I feel like you have been following me around. I learned because the people around me kept locking themselves out of rooms and equipment. Then I moved into construction and needed to fix industrial and residential door, of all types. After ex-wife locked herself out of the car a few times (long complicated story) I learned how to slim jim a car or wedge the windows. I am not fascinated by puzzles but I am cheap and do not like paying for things I could do.

As for the WROL, I too can and have made (play bombs -- not designed to injure) bombs. I rigged a smoke bomb to our work place practical jokers new car, to make sure he got the message to stop with all the pranks the crew had come to hate. He got the message, thought his brand new car was burning up. No more pranks. I also taught and studied Martial Arts, Kenpo, Shotokan and a little bit of Taekwondo . I have never had to use it in anger, but the knowledge is still there. Not nearly as fast as I used to be, a speeding bullet works better. It was funny, I learned Martial Arts because I had broken my right hand twice in fist fights. Learned how to fight and then never got into another fight. Mr. Murphy is a funny guy.

People don't need to fear the thugs, they need to play nice with the old guys. They know how to play dirty and they will. We did not live this long by being Snow Flakes.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The busted knuckles is a young guy learning experience. The open hand, elbows, knees and my hard head all work better than a closed fist. You will heal faster from a bloody nose than a broken knuckle. That is winning a battle then losing the war if two days later you are hurting more than the guy that lost the fight. Heads are HARD!!!

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The busted knuckles did take a while to heal and after the second break, they did not heal properly at all. Yes I did learn it is much easier to take out somebodies knee, than try to beat out their brains, provided they have any. Open hand shot to th throat slows down most folks too. There are so many better and easier ways to defend vs. standing there and boxing with somebody. I do guarantee I was worse than the guy when I broke my hand the first time. The second time, the other guy had a few parts that were broken too. Either way, forearm, feet , shins are much more effective than my fragile hands. My right hand is the perfect example of a glass hand.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A woman demonstrated one of the most devastating nonlethal blows that I have ever seen. The male who was less than a gentleman made an ill advised advance on a lady. She came around and slapped him into next week. At first everyone laughed then realized that what she had done was hit him of the side of his chin with the heal of her hand and SHATTERED his jaw. His mouth was hanging wide open and wouldn't close; he was helpless and screaming bloody murder when she kicked him in the nuts and put him on the floor! That was one expensive pinch on the butt for him.

I learned two things that night...maybe three. One is don't pinch a lady on the butt unless you know her really well. Two, Don't laugh when you make someone mad. If your mouth is open when the chin is hit BAD things happen. just because a women is a lady doesn't mean that she isn't BAD to the bone.

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was sparring (tournament contest is not fighting) in tournaments, the women scared me to death. They were tough and they were mean and they would fight dirty if they got mad. Just very happy were were not allowed to fight them, sure saved a lot of male ego's.

wally and CountryGuy like this.
  13. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    i remember sparring with a woman once. i popped her in the breasts and thats all i remember after that....whew

TMT Tactical likes this.