Survival Socks..........for Happy Feet

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Sourdough, Nov 20, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    We never seem to get winter the last few decades. But just incase I ordered a load of good socks. They are always nice to have in the remote caches.

Caribou, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Still in the low to mid 40's everyday. But I ordered "Thermal Insulated 80% Merino Wool Socks".

I like getting gifts from me in the mail, it makes it worth the hike off the mountain to the mail box.

I figure if the SHTF having money will not be as wonderful as having abundant amounts of survival clothing. This is especially true when I can't spend the money any place but Amazon.Com

Caribou, Blitz, Rebecca and 2 others like this.
  3. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    While I am thinking of it.........for camping or cabin life happiness is Down Booties. Especially in the sleeping bag.

Down Booties are not a warm as a good woman, but they don't snore or hog the blankets.

4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Sourdough,

Subj: Additions to bed roll kit;

Just did the same. On sale, got a dozen pair of Merino wool socks from Bass Pro Shops and a dozen of same (but a little less wool) from Cabela's.

America's real "fertile crescent" equivalent is the Springfield, Missouri - Sidney, Nebraska corridor. The book end towns house Bass Pro Shops HQ and Cabela's HQ - They're now one company as per business arrangements but still separate names. Both run sales for the prudent shopper and preppers are as prudent as they come - by definition.

In my bed roll are fleece-lined slippers. With my extra socks kit - separate from wheeled duffel - are a hair-dryer: battery operated and a hair-dryer: plug-in....to warm boots. Also, last of Mohegan 's anti-fungal foot powder. The product, Tinactin, no longer available in nozzled plastic tube - only see aerosol cans, which I avoid. This project still on "working" list.

A good woman - actually the best - sleeps at one's pods. Known as a German Shepard, provides comfort, affection, true love, good breath,......

That song trope "Three Dog Night" discovered and reported something...............

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sourdough: You made an excellent choice. Whether you use them, or spread them around in caches, keep them for barter. I swear by Merino wool. They will never go bad (have a shelf life). Again, I don't have nearly as many as you, but I think my supply will outlive me. Keeping them in a bedroll is a great idea. I always have a couple of pair in my car stuffed in good boots.

Pragmatist: I do have the luxury of being close to several Bass Pro retail stores, and one Cabela's. I would be embarrassed to even think about how much money I have spent at Bass, but I can assure every member here that the products they sell are good quality, and great value. Bass Pro's Redhead brand is quality merchandise at very reasonable prices. I don't visit as often as I used to but you can catch terrific good deals if you watch. Things like socks are frequently on sale, and you will not be disappointed.

Blitz, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    My location is a bit colder than sourdough, and I could write a book on socks. In the winter I typically wear 3 layers with boots rated at -45 below. I order 100% buffalo wool socks that are typically my mid layer, with silk or Marino wool as my base and a wool third layer.

7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Alaskajohn,

Can you say a little about "Mickey Mouse" boots ? I've seen them in both black and white ... guessing the white was military or military surplus. Was once issued 'em as a reservist but never used them - can't run with 'em.

Related to my above question, what was the traditional "boot" for Eskimos and Aleuts ? I vaguely recall the term "Muck - Lucks" (phonetic) ?

Thanks in advance.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Mukluk (sometimes spelled muk luk) is the traditional boots made of whatever fur is available. The ones I see are marketed for females nowadays. My wife have several and they look toasty warm.

I wore Mickey Mouse boots back in the early 80s for Arctic training while in the military. They are sold everywhere up hear but I haven’t worn any since back in military. My cold weather foot gear is primarily the -40 Baffins. I have other brands, but the baffins are nice as they come up mid calf and have the built in snow gaiter that extend to just below the knee. The Mickey Mouse boots would have some use, but in deep snow without snow boots, you’ll have snow in them that turn to water.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Rebecca, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Alaskajohn,

Thank you for this technical info.

It cleared up some matters for me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Just bought some wool socks myself. It's been in the 30s here in Colorado and it sucks! LOL

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Muk Luk's are traditionally filled with dry grass for insulation. Today they are built around insulated boot liners. Most are for display but they are still used in the winter by some. The liners are removed at night to allow them to dry just as they are in regular cold weather boots.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Blitz, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Do we have any votes for Alpaca fiber?

15. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I had a merino sheep before my husband died. Used to clean up the fleece to spin. I discovered that the fleece makes excellent boot warmers and also great for stuffing into your boots to avoid blisters.

Morgan101 and Caribou like this.