Surviving A Bear Attack

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Patrick Gilbert, May 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Patrick Gilbert

Patrick Gilbert New Member
      4/25

Blog Posts:
    I never survived or have seen a bear in real life besides at a zoo. I just really wanted to hear about people encountering bears and storys about bears. They are not my favorite animal, I just think they are a really cool one.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Drop Bears are in my opinion the worst, I have never had one drop on me, but I have heard stories. Scary stuff!
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

3. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Try to quickly assess whether the bear before you is behaving defensively or is attacking you to clear her path to food (predatory). This is helpful for knowing how far you can rely on trying to convince the bear you're not a threat so she will leave you alone (by, for example, increasing your size, being noisy, playing dead, etc.). On the other hand, if you're viewed as prey rather than as a threat, the bear won't stop attacking you if you play dead or shout, so you'll need to find more effective defensive approaches that might help you to escape safely. Typical reasons for a bear to feel threatened include the need to protect her cubs, protection of hidden food or a carcass and surprise or confusion, fear, an impression that her space has been invaded and blocking of her exit way. Predatory behavior is usually brought about by hunger and an indifference to your human status. A greater percentage of attacks from black bears are predatory in nature than from brown bears but young brown bears or grizzlies can be predatory once abandoned by their mothers, as they're learning to find food alone and it's may be tempting to see humans as food. Remember that whatever the reason behind a bear's attack, the bear is dangerous.

4. Birla Andrei Marian

Birla Andrei Marian New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    In my hiking alone, through more or less dark forests, I also stood like a man with a certain fear of bears. Not quite afraid to come back out of the way, seeing the poster beaked poster, but not too little to take some protective measures. And in this case, it is essential to be informed, not armed. Therefore…

Do not run! Bears run faster than humans! Seriously, the man gets a maximum of 40 km / h if he's a trained athlete, and he can not keep the speed too much anyway, the bear gets caught and 50 km / h easy, and can run more, you do the calculations. So you're not likely to get rid of him by running. Besides, if you run, the bear's natural reaction may be to run after you. Instead, I read somewhere, if it's about running down the valley, on a steeper valley, then you might be more successful. Because the bears run harder in the valley, having their front legs shorter than the ones in the back. In other words, it's possible to roll off if it runs down the valley. I suggest that you run into the valley until you see that the bear overcomes the roll, then climb back in the opposite direction

About climbing trees. Bears are good climbers, and if it is a thinner tree, it could easily break it down. However, if you have time to climb, look for a tree to climb to at least 3 meters high. The good part is that she has no interest in going after you.

In principle, the bears are not approaching people, especially those living in the wild, not in Sinaia or Tampa. Bears that are not so accustomed to people leave before you go to see them (for this purpose help when you go along the path, make a laugh - a whistle, a song - without disturbing the other tourists on the path). Bears do not attack humans unless they are challenged, or if they feel in danger, and that usually happens because of people, what they do (they leave their food in the tent, they go quietly through frequent forests or stay silent in raspberries etc ).

That's why the best thing to do if anyone knows how to see a bear is to stop, make some noise to hear you are human (but not aggressive) and slowly go back ... to see that you are not a threat . Or just give him the opportunity to walk away. This is especially a meeting of grade ... 30 meters. I mean, if you did not nose him. This is a special case, because the bear (especially the chicken accompanied) may consider you a threat and attack (to eliminate the threat).

If you can not keep it distant by the noise and movements of your arms that scare him, go to bed! Face down, with your hands on your neck, to protect your neck. Even if the bear tries to twist you, you keep your position. He has no interest in killing you, just to see that you are not a danger. After leaving you alone, do not make sudden movements and wait to move away. However, these are extremely rare cases in which you even get into this situation - and it does not happen if you go on a marked day in a group.

About the phase with the dead ...

My sister told me that it would not work with her on the dead, because when the bear came to smell her, she would smack her and I imagine she is like she always laughs I see standing on foot abstaining not to laugh! And the bull came to her with his boot, clearly he could not help himself. To see what actually means "to die of shaving." Anyway, for some people, it would be easy enough to make the dead man. You only have to behave normally, as if in the office or on the bus.

Then I thought there were anti-urs sprays and I thought they were some kind of paralyzing but adapted to the bear, to shoot him and him to run (even there was something like that, but some more serious ones - those small pepper not Too, go on the bear, because they have a small radius of action and the jet can be scattered by the wind even to your eyes). But I got an idea! If those sprays are actually dead-flavored sprays, give up on you, not the bear! Help you make the dead, you know? You put on yourself with a scent of perfume and you fooled the bear!

5. blisstv

blisstv New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:

6. blisstv

blisstv New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Anyone thinking like me? This is a Koala with rabies. I think brown bears are absolutely gorgeous! I can do without the drop bear.

7. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:

Whatever that thing is it looks like something from the worse nightmare ever.

8. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I suppose I would stand still and look it chargingly into its face. Confidence deters offensive animals even people. Shouting at the top of your voice while aiming any jab at the eyes should work. He you can get hold of a stick, you can push it into the bears mouth all this time looking for the nearest source of relief.

9. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

You are kidding aren't you?

10. Jahkobi Martin

Jahkobi Martin New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Doesn't actually help if you stand up tall and yell as loud as you can if a bear approaches your camp?

11. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I think playing dead would be your best bet. Can't really have a chance of out-fighting a bear (unless you know a TON about unarmed combat), or you have a firearm with you. Climbing trees would be another; climb up and hope that the bear lose interest. But the stories I have read online that playing dead was a decent idea to be able to survive a bear encounter. Even a seven year old from the US survived a bear attack by doing it, and he pointed out that it (playing dead) was a skill he learned through a video game.

12. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    Watch the documentary Grizzly Man. It's not so much about survival but about a man's demise because he thought he had a "connection" with bears...

It's an interesting film if nothing else.

13. Pady

Pady New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    It is very terrifying see some one who attacked by bear. A one incident is happened with my friend. But he didn't have any major injury because he knows how to react when bear attacks you. When we went to the zoo, there was a bear in cage and he put his hand in a cage to take photo. Suddenly, bear grabbed his hand but he act as dead person so the bear leave him. Still he has some cuts on his hands but it is normal.
    This incidence was very terrifying to us.

14. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I should have been easy for your friend to act dead.
    He demonstrated he was brain dead by putting his hand in a bear cage.
    Duh!

15. Pady

Pady New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    ;););) It is funny story. Right?:D:D:D

16. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Yes a funny story.
    Some bozo in our city had a "pet" wolf in a large pen.
    A 5 year old child wanted to pet the "doggie"
    The doggie took the kids hand off.
    LAWSUIT!
    The parents of the crippled child LOST and were stuck with enormous legal bills in addition
    to the crippled for life child.
    The court rule the parents negligent for not properly watching the child.
    Not to mention the cruelty of caging such a magnificent animal.

17. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Make sure you keep your distance no matter what, don't act like a hero. Stay far away, especially if you see a mother bear with her cubs, you need to stay away from her as far as you can. She might see you as a potential threat and attack you. Other than that, if you knew what kind of bear is close to you and what he does, how he attacks, you might either use fetus trick or in some cases scream I believe. But never turn your back and start running cause you will most likely be overrun. And do keep in mind that trees might not be your escape as some bears can easily climb the trees as well.