Surviving A Bear Attack

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by airfightermax, Jul 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Say a bear is charging towards you and it is guaranteed to hit you. What is the best course of action from here? Maybe some position you could put yourself into to be safe?

2. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I never go into the woods without being armed. I'd shoot it

3. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    A full grown bear charging full speed towards you, the best position is the praying position... Just kidding hehehe...

Me, I would dodge the charge split second before the impact. I might have a chance to avoid him doing that. If it didn't work I'll just curl like a ball and play dead possum.

4. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    LOL, seriously though, your method might actually work at dodging it at the last second! Provided you have quick reflexes and can dodge that fast, I guess it is doable...

What will I do if I manage to dodge it though? Break into a full sprint away from the bear I guess?

5. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I guess you have a valid point of not straying into an area full of dangerous animals in the first place.

If you have a weapon like a gun, I guess I could for it's eyes to blind it.

6. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm not so much worried about bears but we do have black bear north of me about 30 miles. They are usually small and fearful of people because almost everyone carries a gun and when they see bear they will fire a shot to scare it off and make it afraid of people.

My main concern is wild boar and sharks. :)

7. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, I could imagine how a wild boar would be more willing to attack on sight as opposed to bears that are just as scared as us!

Wild boars would be aggressive right from the start, so we would have to be always on guard. Once you kill one though, you could salvage boar meat to cook if you need to. Yum!

operator6 likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This topic has been covered elsewhere, throw your pack at it & run ! Carry a gun.
    Keith.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't be in that scenario to begin with. You gotta do your research before camping and see which animal will you most likely encounter. Be it bears, moose, mountain lions, or even coyotes. You gotta know the surroundings so you wouldn't get caught in a situation where your life is in danger when it can easily have been avoided. Guns can scare wild animals, but I hear even loud music can keep animals at bay or even repel them.

10. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah the best decision here is not to be in the situation in the first place. Knowledge of the area you are going to could really save you.

But with for example, a warning shot fired at the wild animal, wouldn't that irritate the wild animal more which would give it more reason to attack?

11. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    The mere thought of being confronted by a bear just gives me shivers. My mind is conditioned to face and confront any human attacker and I am ready to defend myself against any attack from another human being, but an attack from an animal is a different ball- game. Especially an animal as large as a bear. How do you fight a bear? I guess shoot it.