Surviving A Bear Attack

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by airfightermax, Jul 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Say a bear is charging towards you and it is guaranteed to hit you. What is the best course of action from here? Maybe some position you could put yourself into to be safe?

2. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I never go into the woods without being armed. I'd shoot it

3. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    A full grown bear charging full speed towards you, the best position is the praying position... Just kidding hehehe...

Me, I would dodge the charge split second before the impact. I might have a chance to avoid him doing that. If it didn't work I'll just curl like a ball and play dead possum.

4. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    LOL, seriously though, your method might actually work at dodging it at the last second! Provided you have quick reflexes and can dodge that fast, I guess it is doable...

What will I do if I manage to dodge it though? Break into a full sprint away from the bear I guess?

5. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I guess you have a valid point of not straying into an area full of dangerous animals in the first place.

If you have a weapon like a gun, I guess I could for it's eyes to blind it.

6. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm not so much worried about bears but we do have black bear north of me about 30 miles. They are usually small and fearful of people because almost everyone carries a gun and when they see bear they will fire a shot to scare it off and make it afraid of people.

My main concern is wild boar and sharks. :)

7. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, I could imagine how a wild boar would be more willing to attack on sight as opposed to bears that are just as scared as us!

Wild boars would be aggressive right from the start, so we would have to be always on guard. Once you kill one though, you could salvage boar meat to cook if you need to. Yum!

operator6 likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This topic has been covered elsewhere, throw your pack at it & run ! Carry a gun.
    Keith.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't be in that scenario to begin with. You gotta do your research before camping and see which animal will you most likely encounter. Be it bears, moose, mountain lions, or even coyotes. You gotta know the surroundings so you wouldn't get caught in a situation where your life is in danger when it can easily have been avoided. Guns can scare wild animals, but I hear even loud music can keep animals at bay or even repel them.

10. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah the best decision here is not to be in the situation in the first place. Knowledge of the area you are going to could really save you.

But with for example, a warning shot fired at the wild animal, wouldn't that irritate the wild animal more which would give it more reason to attack?

11. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    The mere thought of being confronted by a bear just gives me shivers. My mind is conditioned to face and confront any human attacker and I am ready to defend myself against any attack from another human being, but an attack from an animal is a different ball- game. Especially an animal as large as a bear. How do you fight a bear? I guess shoot it.

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Man bearly makes it.

https://archive.fo/OCPps

"A Grizzly Bear Terrorized a Man for Days in Alaska. The Coast Guard Saw His SOS"

"Down to his last rounds of ammunition, with bruises and a leg injury, the man was rescued by a helicopter crew that just happened by."

New "Big Bear" revolver soon to come on the market. Many Alaskans have already put in their orders.

upload_2021-7-22_19-47-53.png

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    with a bear KISS your BUTT goodbye. a black bear will kill and eat you(they are always hungry) a grizzly will kill you bat your body around like a ball then walk away....truthfully though fight a black bear to the death by any means you have, with a grizzly play dead and you may live. i always go armed in the woods anymore especially in case i run into any 2 legged predators....

if you are armed remember there are 5 choices a heart shot(but since a bears heart rate is so slow then live for a couple minutes before they know they are dead). a brain shot(in some cases the skull is so hard and angled that it just ricochets away)a shot right down the muzzle/mouth
    a shot to the shoulder(s) breaking them (if he don't have 1-2 of his legs he wont be as mobile to come after you).a lung shot(again he'll live a minute or two and keep coming but should die fairly quickly). shot placement is #1, number of shots is #2, caliber is #3....many folks have different opinions on this FWIW....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Around here, the bears I've seen seemed anything but skinny. Last year had a bear run across the road in front of me (mountain road) and man could that bear run! It was a small adolescent bear, but it was shaking as it ran -- which is to say, it had some fat on it. Got a couple of other fat bear stories.

Can't climb a tree to get away from a black bear. Seen a fat little bear shimmy up a tree faster than a squirrel.

Around here, while we do have black bears, they just aren't interested in people. It seems like it's been two or three forevers-ago since I've read a story about anyone around here getting hurt by one. When I think of bears, I think of lazy. About 20+ years ago where we were living, one kept coming down out of mountains and getting into a neighbor's apple orchard. The limbs of apple trees just do not bear the weight of a bear. Snap! go the tree limbs. Sometimes when we would walk the neighborhood, I'd have a gun on me, but it wasn't for any dang bear, it was for mean dogs.

When hiking, you've always got some sort of backpack on you. Forestry guys told us youngin's to hold up our backpack to look tall. Just don't ever stare at a bear -- that could be taken as a challenge, i.e. not good. You will lose any stare-down with a bruin.

And everyone should know to stay away from any baby bears, because momma bear ain't too far away. One time I saw some dumb-ass tourists taking pictures of a baby bear that had gotten into a trash can. I slowed down a moment, but then just drove on because I figured that momma bear could take care of the situation. Sure wasn't anything I could do, would do.

15. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Tourist and baby bear = Bear MRE's. Gene pool selection in action.

wally likes this.
  16. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes bears are fast, they can out run a horse short run. I used to go into the Canadian Rockies backpacking . I took a fast course on bears. if a bear is charging you you already made mistakes. you spooked him and he did not know that you were there . you should make noise bear bell .
    then when you see him talk to him heh bear in a loud voice and slowly back up , do not fall down backing up this will cause a charge. . when he does charge you have three options. lift your arms and challenge him, play dead, or climb a tree if it is a grizzly

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Black bears
    Lazy bears
    Lot's a'bears
    Evrywherez

I cannot say that I advise doing the following. If you happen to be shewing-away a brown bear, it wouldn't hurt to have a .338 Winchester Magnum backing you up.

Back to neighborhood bears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJE1Z11sl8

When mamma bear has her babies with her, DO NOT DISTURB THEM ! Wanna take a video, great. Just do so from inside your home, inside your car. DO NOT go out on your porch to greet them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJE1Z11sl8

wally likes this.
  18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We don't have any bears here. We do have gators, 25 pound rats and Cajuns though.

19. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What's the price on nutria tails these days?

Dang, I'd so love to go out hunting nutria on an air boat! I've got around a half-dozen rifles I'd like to try-out on those massive rats. I really wonder which of these rifles would turn out being the best. I'd try laser sights vs open sights vs scopes vs red-dot vs target aperture vs ... . I've all manner of small bore rifles with all manner of sighting types. No reason to bring out the big bores ... but then I've a bunch of "obsolete" military ammo to blast away, so why not practice on nutria. Man, that would be so much fun.

We could do some gators. God knows they're no longer endangered.