Surviving Floods And Being Stupid!

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by jeager, Jul 13, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Massive flooding in south and southwest Ohio.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=ohio+flooding+today&v_t=client97_searchbox-ac

On the live t-v news are firemen trying to rescue and woman and kids after the
    woman ignored the fact that she could not see the road for the water
    covering it.
    Moving water.
    So she drives into it anyway, car stalls and she's stuck.
    Darned lucky she didn't float away with the current.
    It takes only 18 to 20 inches of moving water to float a car away.
    Now the firemen rescue squad risks life to wade out and try to hook the
    car to a cable and pull the dumb ass out.

Betcha she's also a Hillary person!

Also mobile home parks are flooded.
    Mobile homes don't far well in floods either.

I recall one of the many times the mighty Ohio floods.
    My nephew and I drove to the Ohio river to see the flooding
    but stopped a mile short to be safe.
    We drove to the top of a hill overlooking the valley and
    saw whole houses floating away.
    The houses crashed into a large bridge and disintegrated.
    Hope no one was inside!

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We all do silly things once in a while, but this sort of behavior I just don't understand. This happens over & over. We have to have 4WDs to enable us to get out when the creek floods. But even with a 4WD with a decent wade depth, there is a limit. When we do not consider it safe to cross the creek, we go via the back tracks, but we have to cross water that way too. Common sense tells us that if it does not look safe, or if the markers are showing it is over the vehicles wade depth OR if we consider the water is travelling too rapidly, then we turn around & come home.
    Keith.

3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Good post.
    I've noticed a sad lack of common sense the
    these newer generations.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not long ago a woman drove into a flooded ford just because her sat nav told her too, her husband, in the passenger seat, was washed away and drowned, she only survived because someone put their own life at risk to get her out of the nearly flooded car and drag her to safety. people do such stupid things.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lighter cars get better gas mileage...They also float real easy and wash away. People these days are not encouraged to think and so seem to assume that if a road isn't safe it would be blocked off. Where I used to live there was an underpass where the street went under some railroad tracks.

This was done by basically digging a hole under the tracks. Trains don't go up and down well so the road went down. When it rained the hole would fill with water and there could be 14' of water there. EVERYONE knew this and every time there was a big rain someone splashed in and many drowned.

You would think that at some point people would learn and figure it out but that never happened. In the end after many many years of people drowning despite HUGE signs warning that this was a flood zone and big signs that had the water level marks on a post so that as the water rose you could look and see how deep it was based on the measurements on the post the sign was on they finally just closed the road.

People never learned. Personally I think that they should build more places like this. It was a great place to thin out the people that were just too stupid to live. If there were more places like this we wouldn't be getting dumber and dumber with every passing generation.

6. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Oh, my gosh! The weather community has been trying for years to warn people about this kind of stuff, and not just this, but things like taking shelter under an underpass for a tornado!

I'm connected to a lot of storm chasers on Twitter. I also used to attend a lot of storm spotter training when I was young. They had it open to the general public.

Just today on Twitter, one of the people I'm connected to had a tweet about how water from hurricanes kill more than wind.

When I was in storm spotter training, they would show us videos of how dangerous it is to cross water. It doesn't take much to float a vehicle.

If you're not sure of the water level, please, please turn around!

7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I learned this at a very early age. I had a classmate who lost her mother in a flash flood. They happened to be driving a Volkswagon bug; engine in the back; no weight whatsoever in the front. As soon as the front wheels hit the water, which was not deep, the front of the car lifted, and was swept away. Horrible tragedy.

I have lived through several major floods. Only one trapped us, and that was for a very short time, and we did not feel threatened. If I were to offer advice it would be to stay aware of the situation through local news. If authorities recommend you evacuate do so as soon as possible. Pack your valuables and move to a safe location. Your situation will not improve by waiting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to go out in floods and pull people out that had drowned out in the high water. People just can't seem to understand that in high water you first off need to think about how much ground clearance your vehicles have and secondly you need to SLOW DOWN. My truck was an old regular F-100 Ford. The only thing that I had done to make it especially waterproof was that I had sealed my wires and distributor cap with silicone and spray sealer. I could idle through almost three feet of water and did several times. this was an old truck and I would open the doors to let the water in. Cars WILL float. Even trucks will float. Go slow so you don't splash water into your carb or throttle body.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I just don't understand these people that drive into standing water at full speed not knowing how deep the water is! if i'm not sure of the depth I go another way.

TMT Tactical likes this.