Surviving from yourself

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Iohndee, Jul 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It is said that your biggest victory is victory over self. May be you had a self-destructive habit that had threatened to ruin your life. You struggled and eventually overcame these habit that had hindered your progress in life.

What is the most self-destructive habit have you struggled with and overcome? How did you survive through it and do you feel victorious?

remnant and Moroccanbeauty2266 like this.
  2. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    This is something that one has to reckon with at some point in their lives. I have come to realize that a person's greatest enemy is own self. I was recently struggling with the habit of drinking alcohol once I get money and it exposed me to many dangers including spending the night in a bar and walking home alone at night. I am currently trying to conquer myself through fasting though it is proving to be a tough exercise. This is the best way to tame the flesh.

3. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Sure, alcoholism is one of the biggest drawbacks in a person's life. It has ruined many bright lives because victims become so careless to even mind about their future. And overcoming it doesn't get easy, one needs to sacrifice.

Conquering the habit can be a big victory over self. I am a survivor of alcoholism. I had to stop being friends to some people and stopped visiting places that are tempting.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    not so much surviving from yourself, more like surviving DESPITE yourself.
    I don't really have any bad habits, I gave up smoking in 1995, I gave up drinking in 2000, I smoked a bit of weed in the 80s and 90s but nothing for 15 years.

5. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, I guess we are our own worst enemies. I guess one of the things I survived within me was my depression. For a number of years, I had been suffering with my inner struggles that there were times I just wanted to disappear from it all. Things changed when I finally find my life's meaning through my husband and our child. That's when I started to notice a significant change in my life. The hatred in me gradually subsided and I've never felt more calm and peaceful. I guess we all just have to find our reason for wanting to survive in order for us to keep going in life. :)

6. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is true. I'm battling with low self esteem. It's truly affecting how i live my life. I scan't seem to shake off this self destructing problem. I've had regrets in my life and I've missed so many opportunities because I'm too scared to venture out of my comfort zone. Before it's too late, i hope i can overcome this.

7. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I still feel like I'm in a battle with myself everyday. I suffer from anxiety and depression. It could be worse, but it could be better. My life has changed so much in the last few years its been slughty traumatic. I'm learning to overcome it everyday.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm the most level headed person I know, its other people that cause me problems.
    I wish everyone would just go away-permanently, and leave me alone.

9. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Surviving your self requires that you know what piss you off. For example, my hair is what piss me off. One day someone said something about my long hair and I almost lost it. I cut my hair now to keep me under control. I still get shorter on for things that going beyond racism and fashion. There are some people who will not be satisfied with anything.

10. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Mine was proscrastination, when you are still very young you can't imagine soon or later it will be the moment to become the head of the family, as I am right now. Not everybody is fortunate to have a strong and trustworthy father role in the family, I am one of those less fortunate and had to rely on my own since I was a teenager.

When you have to do tons of things, affording to lose or postpone time is not an affordable option. But my inmaturity led me to commit mistakes in the past which I had to pay serious consequences. In anyway, the struggle with yourself is one of the greatest fights in life.