Sustainability & Long Term Survival.

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Keith H., Sep 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Good thought provoking read!

Keith H. likes this.
  3. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    From this read questions or thoughts that arise. Bug in vs bug out, bug in if possible but be ready to bug out if needed. I am prepared for both. While bugging in. I want to be as quite as possible and not be noticed. Hopefully we can hide in plain sight. This has been my plan all along.

I need to learn how to make black powder.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Making black power in simple...finding the elements for it in nature is NOT so simple. Do you know where to find sulfur how about large quantities of Potassium Nitrate? Those two powdered elements are 85% of black powder. Right now you can order it...but why order that when you can order and store black powder? In nature these are not so easily available in the sort of quantities that you will want. Also without a ball mill mixing and making high quality black powder can be pretty hazardous. I've made it and it was great fun but I had cans of all the necessary ingredients already on hand and powdered. I honestly don't think that it would be possible where I now live for me to get the needed materials from nature.

Where you live down under guns are not something that everyone has much less has the kind that I will be facing. I would hate to have to depend on a muzzle loader to defend my family against someone with any common repenting centerfire weapons. It just wouldn't work unless I had several and several people reloading them. Shoot once then have to stand there and reload for several seconds is a recipe for getting killed. Even a single shot break action shotgun would be overwhelming in its ability to reload and fire again.

If you are limited to only the powder and ammo that you can carry there is little to no advantage in a muzzle loading musket and a 20 gauge shotgun. Primers and power are light and when they are gone just like when you run out of powder you have a rather bulky club. If you make powder you can load it in the 20 gauge shells just as well as you can in the musket. The single thing different is the need for primers but then again if you break your flint you had better have some good flint to replace it and you won't find that just laying in the ground every where either.

Where you live I see your points and the advantages in a place where the government is so oppressive and is your biggest enemy but where I live it just wouldn't work. My government encourages its citizens to protect themselves and allows us to have and use the best weapons available. In response to the recent terrorist activities using knives as of September the first it is legal for any law abiding Texas citizen to carry a sword! Switchblades, daggers and BIG Bowie knives are all legal for any that will feel safer with a big knife than with a gun OR in addition to a gun. I'm packing a Buck in a sheath and a Ruger LC9-pro in the small of my back. Then in my truck is a shotgun and a katana hand and a half machete or a 1917 navy cutlass. I'm thinking about a coldsteel heavy walking stick sword.

Do I feel safe? Heck yeah, anyplace, anywhere any time. Mama is packing a snub nose 38 with 357 mag reloads and a buck 110 folder. We also both carry some form of legal weapons like a kubotan or ballistic plastic knuckles that make a punch a lot more effective. The criminal element in Texas leads a TOUGH life these days and mugging someone is like playing Russian Roulette!! Granny may be packing heat and will waste YOU!

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    unfortunately most British preppers give little thought to long term/permanent survival post event, most are only concerned with short term(a few days, a few weeks) events then they expect they things to get back to "normal", its only a few old "codgers" like me that even think about more prolonged events, I think it has much to do with one's age and life experiences:p

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Some information here in an article I wrote on muzzleloading: http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/muzzle-loading-information.html
    Keith.