Taking Living off the grid to the next level.

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by tb65, Jun 6, 2016.

Taking Living off the grid to the next level. 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Studying ancient civilizations like Egypt can give you ideas. There where ancient civilizations that had off grid technology and it was amazing. I think that living off the grid would be really interesting if off grid technology and civilization was looked into. Imagine being able to have a lot of the same luxuries you would have now even if you lived away from modern technology. This would be something that would allow you to explore all kinds of possibilities.

Moroccanbeauty2266 and Keith H. like this.
  2. meganisonfire

meganisonfire New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that living off the grid would be very beneficial for every one. I believe that if you lived off the grid that no one would be able to know who you were, where you live or make you pay taxes on everything. The best part is you could make your own house and grow your own food. On the same note, living like this would also be very difficult.

There is a good possibility that you would have a few run-ins with dangerous animals like bears and tigers. I do not know what the best way would be to protect yourself from these creatures. It would also be difficult to raise small children in this environment. Some people believe that children need their immunizations that they would normally get before going to school. If you are off the grid there is a good possibility that your children would not get these. Some people believe that these very same shots are causing problems in children too.

I enjoy learning all about survival and would be very interested to know how many others would live off the grid as well? If you wanted to live off the grid how would you do it? Do you think that it would be difficult to survive this way? Would you enjoy not having to pay the government taxes? I know I would!

Keith H. likes this.
  3. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think living off the grid is the ideal way to live. I highly doubt many people would actually be able to do that. I think a lot of people would die because they don't have sufficient skills or knowledge about survival. I think it is possible to have a luxurious life and live off the grid. It may not be as easy, but I think it would be worth it. I don't know if that's really an option for people in my country though. The government may not permit it.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Been off grid for 35years its not hard and with new solar and wind power its much easier than its ever been they sell tents now with solar power right in the tent walls lol i have a old 18 ft camper trailer my home anywhere

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I really hope we end our dependency on the electric company some day. It's a vulnerable situation, as they charge quite a lot for the service. And then when the power goes out, you just have to wait it out. Last year we lost power for 2 days. We have taken measures to reduce out electric bill, but are still extremely dependent on the electric company. We have some catching up to do around here, and then maybe we can focus on that.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    living off grid is just learning to adapt to a different way of living, most people are capable of doing it but, its whether they WANT to is the question.

Moroccanbeauty2266 and Keith H. like this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well really ancient civilizations had no choice but to be off grid, I don't think anyone did much with electricity until the 1600s. The best time period to choose equipment from is any time pre 19th century, for me I prefer the 18th century, because I do like some comfort & I like the 18th century technology for being hardy & sustainable. If you start off with 18th century technology, then you will not sink any lower. If you rely totally on modern technology, I believe you would finish up living a stone age lifestyle.
    My wife & I lived with 18th century technology for over 20 years completely off grid & off all modern services. Although we now live in a modern solar powered home, it has left us in good stead, & we are still totally off grid.
    Keith.

8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If we did not have to pay our corrupt local council tax/rates, we would not have to work for money & we could be totally self-reliant. We made no contract for shire services, we don't get any services & we don't want them. We get nothing for the rates/tax they charge us. If anyone fails to pay, their land & house are confiscated & sold. This is the sort of corruption & bloody mindedness people have to put up with if they own their own home.
    And people wonder why some people wish it would all hit the fan!!!
    Keith.

9. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. Some people have gone off the grid but live in a community where the city is suing them, or have condemned their home because they do not have a electric meter hooked up. They city wants to at least make you pay taxes on the meter and hook ups, which I think is a scam in itself. Finding and purchasing a piece of land that doesn't require these utilities exist. Maybe in a grandfather clause or it's because the city doesn't want to add electrical lines in your rural area. Whatever the case may be, look for loopholes and exploit them to your benefit. Living off the grid and out of big brothers grips is breath of fresh air.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    unfortunately whilst we still live in the modern world we have to pay taxes -its part of being part of "the system" that most rely on.
    personally I think a return to an 18th century lifestyle-pre industrialisation in the UK- would not only be more natural for us humans it would also benefit the planet.
    which is why some of us wish it would hit the fan, and soon.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I never heard of luxury living off the grid and that they are utilizing this in Egypt. It would be nice here in the United States. We are so pampered in having everything at our fingertips. We can't do much of anything without modern appliances and gadgets since everything is computer-based. I would love to see what they do and how they live. My kids have a fit when the power is out in our home during a storm. sipDD7lwyKG2Hi5ka3a_nrWrNAetJH_w.gif

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    go on YouTube, type in " tales from the green valley", I think this will give you an idea of how I believe we will be living in the years following societal collapse. enjoy!

Keith H. likes this.
  13. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Your way of living sounds very similar to the Amish. I agree that 18th century technology may be a bit more comfortable to start with when living off the grid. There's still a lot you can get done living like this and it's very easy to conduct business with others this way, as far as farming and trading goods. I think it would be smarter to go back a couple of centuries then to go all the way back to the stone age.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I saw some guy -last winter or the winter before- the power had gone off and he was being interviewed by some news reporter, he said and I quote" its like living in the middle ages!" and the power had only been off a couple of hours!!!:D such will be the attitude of most of the population.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The Egyptians, the Amish, the Native American Indians, they all learned how to live off the grid because they had a certain mindset as well as limitations in their lifestyle. The Egyptians did not have any other choice because during those times they did not have that kind of technology but their culture is very rich and they were very smart with everyday tasks. The Amish are different because they associate electricity with accepting a non-Amish lifestyle and rather distance themselves from that due to their faith. The Native American Indians also are able to live without electricity because they are used to living in nature, in the middle of nowhere.I think there are many more cultural groups or tribes outthere who already live off the grid and we can learn so much about them if we are open-minded enough.

16. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    People thrived and survived in the dawn of time because of community, because they know they wouldn't be able to survive without any help from their own kind. Each had jobs, each had tasks, and that made them thrive from having simple beginnings to having complex societies and intricate living conditions. If you plan on "living off the grid", then maybe you could, but you would need companions to do it with you, as you wouldn't be able to do it on your own. Lots of moving parts to make a society livable, so you really need to pull in all your resources to even get a chance into making it work.

17. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is true there has to be some sort of structure. If people are going to live in a community together they have to govern themselves properly. Of course every ones interest has to be considered. There's no way people can live together without structure and equality with certain freedoms at the same time.

18. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes it can be very difficult if your used to always having power. I know how it feels when there's power outages in the winter and it sucks. If you're one of those people who like to live off the grid you're used to this difficult way of life.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not difficult, its just different, most people wouldn't want to do it because they are used to a different lifestyle, but all it takes is a bit of adapting.
    those that don't adapt will fall by the wayside.

20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    rubbish, its complexity that has made the excuse of needing others, and humans herding instinct, life would (and should) be as simple as one could make it.
    modern humans have been indoctrinated to need others, that's so the ruling elites can control us. that's the trap they want you to fall into, so you have to rely on a 3rd party for your daily survival.
    relying on others is what seperates the sheeple from the survivalists.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  21. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The primary individuals known to not only execute the utilization of sunlight based on vitality but on an expansive scale and they were the Ancient Egyptians. They utilized it to warm their homes. They strategist the plan to craft their homes so that the assembled structures put away the sun's warmth amid the day in turn saving it to later discharge the earlier harnessed solar energy during the evening. Their building strategies kept their stone homes hotter around evening time, as well as managed a cooler temperature inside on hotter desert days.

22. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It is an interesting notion but I don't know how far fetched is it because if we are talking about some fictional possibility than it is okay. However, if we are talking about actual thing it would be hard because it would still have to be a group of people living off the grid and it is in people's nature to fight for everything and without any kind of laws people would literally kill themselves. As Louis CK said, "The law against murdering is the number one reason preventing murder." It is a good idea but it would need a lot of organizational activities.

23. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Yes this is what I call living of the grid in luxury. The ancient Egyptians didn't have modern technology but they had a lot more going for them than most people living off the grid now. Still they do use similar strategies of warming and cooling homes in earth ships.

24. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Well this wasn't really based on a apocalyptic situation. I was just talking about living off the grid in general. There are people who still look for ways to make living off the grid more comfortable . The Amish happen to do this pretty well and can conduct business with this lifestyle. There are people developing earth ships with similar ideas for cooling and heating that the ancient Egyptians had.

25. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Because of this, I strongly encourage anyone who can combine current historic finds along with modern technology. I believe that a wealth of innovations for alternative living are just a few inventions away. I love the craftsmanship and spirit of being a survivalist, but I am also not opposed to living off the grid in a lap of luxury independently either.