The Basics

Discussion in 'First Aid Skills' started by Nia, Jul 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Nia

Nia New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I think that everyone should know the basics of first aid. Firstly, you should learn basic CPR, it has saved many lives. Also, knowing how to properly clean and disinfect a cut or wound could save a limb. There are many more vital basic first aid tips and tricks you know, but I think those are two of the most important ones.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Dallas845

Dallas845 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Dallas 845,

A warm welcome to forum if I had missed. I know Dallas had a football club in era of Roger Starbuch and Bob Hays.

It's not just northern areas. Hydrotherma even in the southern states, AND even in the warm months here, can be dangerous.

A glance at https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/faqs.html

and https://www.weather.gov/safety/coldwater is important for us around the Chesapeake Bay.

Plus, factor in that everyone's not in the best of health.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. huntergatherer

huntergatherer New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree, I even think basic first aid skills are far more important than many other survival skills (e.g. preparing food), because it is much more likely that you will have to use it at some point in your life to save either your or somebody elses ass. This is a nice overview of what skills are how relevant in terms of probability of having to use it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Something that might interest some and points out the personality differences between preppers and tech dependent individuals . My just turned 18 grandson was left in charge of a cattle ranch while the owner and family were gone for a few days . A cattle pandemic broke out . He vaccinated around 300 head of cattle during the owners absence as blood was oozing out of the mouths and rectums of the infected animals . He performed an operation on one , jabbing a hole into the animals side , puncturing into one of the stomachs to make a hole to relieve gas pressure , dug hay strings out of a clogged up butt hole , lost one as it strangled to death as he poured mineral oil down it's throat . In all he lost 5 head of cattle . The owner of the ranch has now returned so at least now there are two of them to fight the pandemic . This grandson is our fledgling pilot . The cattle ranch owner is planning to buy a large airplane in a few months so they can fly into large cattle ranches on cattle buying excursions .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    well good for your grandson, most 18 year olds over here wouldnt know one end of a cow from the other. they'd be too busy with their noses pressed up against their mobile phone screen.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    wife had to do the same as your grandson, put a big spike in the side of a cow to get some fluid in, at about the same age as your grandson.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Given that the lad who helped the cattle is learning to fly I would say your blanket opinion of younger people is way off the mark...as you can see there is a valid case for having hands on skills and tech skills :)

It is very possible to have real life experience/skills and still embrace technology, look at me ;) Not everyone is a Luddite.

9. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    <........................A Luddite who handles Uranium 235..and installs it into nuclear reactors...!!!!!

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    And because of technology its a safe proceedure :) Scapping your ham radios then Chris LOL I've got radio withdrawl symptoms, find myself tapping morse on the table.

watcherchris likes this.
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    by Max...

Don't bet on it Max...things still happen....

I've known people to get contaminated internally. Externally can usually be decontaminated clear...but internally ...it has to pass through you ....to be gotten rid of it..over time..

Lots of monitoring for years when you get internally exposed.

It also has to do alot with what section of the reactor on which you are working as to how much energy to which you are exposed....for how long...

Time...distance ...and or shielding...still applies...

Every now and then we have to clean up a spill when someone makes a mistake......you have to be on your toes ...or even a bag gets torn...we have to manage that...as well. You gotta keep your wits about you and not panic or get all emotional....drama is not going to cut it..

Over all ...yes..it is much better that it was ..say....20 years ago......but you still have to be aware and trained..

You do not drop your guard......

I used to date nurses......and that too can be dangerous as they are often around patients who are not fully and correctly diagnosed....

I'd never considered that until dating two nurses. Glad they taught me what they did....

Oh...and also ..the careful procedures we use for removing gloves which may be contaminated and to not spread said contamination.... originate with medical ...and or biological procedures.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's one which will pucker your backside right on up......tightly.....

Years ago ...I was on an artillery crew/gun.

155mm towed artillery. A 155mm artillery shell is a big heavy shell.

Before you put the fuses in them you remove the eye bolt and then screw in the fuse and put a wrench on it and hand tighten.
    There are different types of fuses for these shells but mostly we shot PD fuses...Point Detonation...fuses.

Then the shell is loaded into the gun, rammed up to engage the rifling in the cannon, and a powder bag placed behind it and the breech closed.

A breech lock mechanism is inserted into the closed and locked breech. This mechanism contains the blank charge which burns through the powder bag when the command is given to fire and the firing lanyard pulled.

Now.......

Once in awhile the fire mission is cancelled. You remove the breech lock mechanism and then remove the powder bag and lower the barrel of the gun...

A special cone device is screwed on the end of the rammer poles and you have to knock the artillery shell back out of the barrel with the fuse on it.

I've had to do this maneuver three times...and each time you wonder about the person who built that fuse....

Did they have a bad hair day????

Yeah....that will pucker up your backside....real real quick!!!! LOL LOL...safety security net...!!! Just gives me the warm fuzzies!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not just younger people, my "blanket" opinion is based on what I see around me on my travels, and generally it dosent look good for the survival of the human race in a catastrophe.

14. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    If it ever hits the fan I think you'll be surprised how well many younger folk will perform, they will step up to the plate. Perhaps you need to get out more and meet real people?

15. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The current generation is like betting on a horse that has never run a race. May look good on paper but until they have actually experienced being in a race, nobody knows how they will perform. The current generation of young people have never experienced a REAL shtf event.

Old Geezer and watcherchris like this.
  16. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    You can apply that logic to WW1 and WW2 and the kids did just fine.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I suggest you open your eyes more, there may be one or two exceptions like the person running the farm mentioned before, but they are few in number, if the human race has to survive on what the youngsters can do then dont hold your breath.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    WW1 and WW2 were NOT this generation of kids, things have changed in the last 70-100 years and not for the better, may be okay for normal living now but once a SHTF event happens then thats it, game over for most.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  19. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Did the "Kids" do just fine or did their parents do just fine"? If memory serves me, the "Senior" adults were in charge and guided / instructed the "Kids". In a future grid down / WROL event, there will not be leadership from the "Seniors" and these untested young people will be on their own. They have yet to run a race, so the verdict is still open to question. Will the majority of the young win the race, very doubtful. Will some win the race, again doubtful, without help from the surviving 'Seniors". The young have not had enough life experiences to even begin to know what they don't know. During normal times, the "young and dumb" can make mistakes and live to learn from those mistakes. During a major WROL event, making mistakes could easily be a "One and Done" experience. Now that same statement does apply to the "Old and still Dumb" too.

lonewolf and poltiregist like this.
  20. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We start training our young survival skills at an early age . Yesterday during the gutting and cutting up of dead bulls for consumption , it was made sure the youngest in the group " 6 years old " was there to learn about survival skills and where his food comes from . --- That being said though I agree with Lone Wolf and TMT Tactical , " most " young adults would find themselves clueless in a S.H.T.F. situation . City dweller in particular would be clueless in how to survive without a store to purchase from . They would likely fall to looting and stealing near them then extend their search outward exposing themselves to rural dwellers with rifles ready to defend their resources . For example , I have a dog that would gleefully rip their balls out " if they have any " and a bloodhound for trailing down and dispatching any survivors . Then We have what we call the bottomless hole for dropping bodies down , a creepy moss draped hole that likely holds many secrets .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Even through WWII, over 75% of the soldiers were from rural farm cultures. Even the Germans used draft animals to move their artillery forward. An uncle of mine talked about all the dead horses and oxen he witnessed marching into Germany during WWII (he was combat infantry, Bronze Star).

Soldiers from the cities had to be taught how to start campfires, how to accurately shoot their rifles, how to maintain their weapons, how to make camp, how to repair equipment, on and on and on. City boys were cripples when out and away from civilization. But at least they had some self-discipline about them. Weren't arrogant.

Today's youthful urbanites are stupid and arrogant. What a winning combination.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    A true story - Some years ago a young city boy came to me wanting to know how he could make some money . I told him he could go into the fur trapping business , and sell the furs to a local fur buyer . I loaned him a live trap and let him trap on my land . A few days later he came back to me lugging the live trap with a racoon inside . I got my rifle and shot the coon in the head . The young lad let out a terrified scream and went running down a trail through the mountains with his screams carrying through the hills . That ended his fur trapping . My conclusion , " he wasn't raised right " .

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  23. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    and thats how it will be with urban folk WTSHTF, the modern generation not only have no concept of what it takes to provide the food they buy in the supermarket but many cannot equate the animal with the lump of meat in a nice little plastic packet, once the JIT delivery service has gone the way of the do-do and the dinosaur, so will they.

TMT Tactical likes this.