The Best Investment For Preppers?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by John Snort, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    There is one man I know who quit his well paying job because he wanted "freedom." His goal after quitting his job was to start a dairy farm but things didn't quite work out as he planned and it took him 10 years to get what he wanted.

One thing I learned from him is that no investment is 100% safe. You could lose all your money or get low returns on your investments.

Considering the fact that not everything will be valuable post event, what do you think might be the best investment for a prepper? Something that could survive a cataclysmic event, societal collapse? Gold? Silver? Something else?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    FOOD everybody needs food, no one can live without it.

John Snort likes this.
  3. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think well stocked shelters and survival equipment would be the best things you could buy. Lots of non-perishable food and supplies that you would need in any event. Food and supplies will always be valuable, and worst case scenario you can use things that other people may want, to barter. I think in a post-event world bartering could be the most important asset. New currency could develop, but it really isn't easy to know what it could be. I think it's just best to stock up on valuable supplies, food, and water.

Third Pig and John Snort like this.
  4. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Diversification in everything. Diversity of skills, investments, tools, etc. is the key. The Proverbs say "you don't know what a day may bring forth", and how true that is.

Regarding what will be valuable post event, well, it depends on the event. A localized disaster will likely have little impact on the currency value. Having a large, liquid reserve of cash would be necessary to rebuild, replace, and move on. On the other hand, if civilization as we knew it collapsed, currency may have some value in starting a fire, but little else. ;)

John Snort likes this.
  5. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    To that end I would say people. Food and people, as far as I'm concerned, are two sides of the same coin. The funny thing is that food is far and away easier to procure than good people for these situations :(

6. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    The best investment for a prepper is preparations. Comb over your situation and acquire the things you need for the various ways that a catastrophie could unfold. I really want to do this. We have same stuff but there is no rhyme or reason to it. We need plans and supplies and ways of storing things.

7. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I will not advise you to have one source of income. You can try farming but remember that there are other factors to consider. You can open a shop but without the necessary skills you may make losses. I think what one can do is to research on what those who are close to them want. This will make it easier for one to buy and sell to them the products that they may want. For example toys, utensils, etc. Since you'll be buying the goods in bulk, the discount you'll get will allow you to earn some profit. I remember when I was in college how I used to sell biscuits and tooth paste.

8. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    At least 3 weeks of water and non-perishables will go a long away especially in the event of mild natural disasters. As someone who lives in LA, the threat of earthquakes are a very real one, and I would rather survive in my home comfortably post-disaster than to have to go downtown and grab water from a bunch of FEMA trucks where everybody is an open target. I prefer US military MREs because they're packed with carbs and usually give you a lot of bang for your buck, plus they can be kept for a very long time.

Sometimes they even come with tools like a matchbook or some toilet paper. I've carried one of the waterproof matchboxes in my wallet for a while to prepare for when I would need them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The first thing that comes to mind for me would be water. Take advantage of when bottled water is on sale (we recently got 4 28 packs of bottled water for $10. Great deal) and stock up on it. You never know where you're going to end up in a situation where you need it. For instance, around here a town about forty-five minutes away from me is having issues with contaminated water. For months they haven't been able to drink, cook, or even bathe in the water there. They've been getting water given to them but they're actually at a point where they're having a shortage of bottled water. In a case like that, having a stock of water would be extremely valuable.

10. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow you all have good and valid points! I agree with the most of you on when he in the farming business that is a good business to have, but in today's society you have to have your hands in a different variety of things to have that back up plan just in case one game plan fails! I am an Entrepreneur that specializes in tax preparation, credit counseling, retail, internet marketing, paid surveys and other ventures to keep my money at flow to pay my bills for me and my family, because today's economy is tough and it's still not back to where it should be!

11. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A place ready to go to being ready is fine but where are you gping have this ready before hand with stashes stored makes bug out alot better than OMG WHERE OMG

12. Duncan

Duncan Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Our first choice was two acres of land and a 100-year-old farmhouse right outside a small town of 4,000 people in southern Idaho.
    The next best investment was meeting and becoming friends with four or five families of our neighbors, who have been incredibly helpful and friendly to a couple of city folks who admit they don't know jack-squat about homesteading.
    After that, a DeWalt 12-inch compound miter saw!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    The best investment is land that is not too close to a major metropolitan area. Even if you can't live there you can build a small cabin there and use it as a weekend place to get away. As time passes you can make improvements like maybe a fishing pond that will provide water. Plant some fruit trees and nut bearing trees. Fence it so that you can easily keep small livestock and protect a garden. Its value no matter what will only improve over time.

I like the idea of being near a small town. Where I live if gasoline became a problem I can still get the things that I need within walking distance. Spending time there on weekends, if you will make an effort, will allow you to be a part of that small community. In a post apocalyptic world strangers are not going to be very welcome. Having an IN may be critical. Go there often, maybe go to church. get to know your neighbors and try to have some activity with the locals.

The investment in time and making a few friends is an investment in your future just as valuable as any monetary investment.

Third Pig and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      135/173

Blog Posts:

Maybe the best investment you will ever make. Be seen, let the locals know you belong. Shop local. Eat at the local cafe. Since I am agnostic, I won't be attending church, but that would not stop me from volunteering my time or money or both to local events. When the SHTF, you do not want to be tagged as that stand offish new guy.

15. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I live on the edge of a small rural town, we buy petrol in the little filling station in town, we buy(some) items in the local store, we buy most of our meat at the once a week local market, we buy eggs from an old guy up the road who has a few chickens.
    people know me here and we stop and say hello and talk about the weather.
    although i'm not religious I deliver the monthly parish magazine, gives me a good excuse to see what is going on and what items are just laying around.

TexDanm and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Third Pig

Third Pig New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    On the water topic...Alexapure is an extremely efficient system allowing of course that exchangable filters are stockpiled. This is a gravity powered system. They also make a portable (backpack sized) unit. Both ave filters that wil produce thousands of gallons before replacing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. coffee

coffee Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Land, remote, large piece, many acres, with water...must have water, trees ready to harvest and a saw mill so you can cut the trees into your own lumber to build your own house and farm buildings, tractors, several tractors capable of digging your basement/ underground bunker, a then dig a large pond and stock it with fish, livestock like cows/bull, Great Pyrenees (male & female), sheep (male & female) of the kind that provide wool and of the kind that you can milk but do not have hair to shave, chickens, 1 rooster, ducks, turkeys one of each M & F, rabbits, greenhouses, outside raised beds, cold frames, all ready for growing plus a large tilled, ready to grow garden, and an orchard with all fruit trees and nut trees of various kinds. Well this is a good start...and all my family that i can talk into joining me...so i guess I'll be alone again...me and my 7 year old grandson. But I would still be much happier, because of the land and animals.

TMT Tactical likes this.