The Dollar Tree Storeq

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by Tom Williams, Aug 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Did you know the dollar tree has a web site the lets you order in bulkiteams they carry in their store order pay for and delivered to your door save time and trips to store cases of stuff gives you a good stock boxed and easy to store ive placed a few orders and very pleased with first aid supplies a case of their sterno or achohol burners candles 4x6 tarps so far

GS AutoTech and Tumbleweed like this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    a recent trip to local dollar tree store they had fancy heat in stock so i got two small compact little burner last two hours of good heat and a bit longer as a low heat total time 2 hrs 24 mins they burn like a achohol stove so me being me i drilled a small hole into it used a small funnel and refilled it with achohol and put a small self taping screw into hole burn time now 4hrs and 35 mins

Old Geezer likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's some do-it-yourself / beer-can alcohol stoves. Each link has some good ideas. Were I making one of these, it would be a Frankenstein stove for I would have borrowed one or two ideas from each of these sites. Here are some takeaways: use fiberglass inside the can to prevent fuel spilling (as does the Zippo lighter), use 91% isopropyl alcohol not 70% (even 91% soots), and place a nickle over the fill hole.

Here is a fellow providing a video of how he pulls apart a Fancy Heat can to fill it. Don't discount this fellow because he is silly. He has some good information ... except for using 70% rubbing alcohol. Must use 91%. or other more pure alcohols.

https://www.n6cc.com/alcohol-stove-for-camping

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-Alcohol-Stove/

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...1...0i30k1.0.PzBf_5WLo7Y#imgrc=Sry4FwuJsC1IDM:

On the web, there are dozens and dozens and dozens of links to do-it-yourself alcohol stoves.

4. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    How about using a syringe and needle. This way, the fill hole would be ultra tiny.

One video link I included above has the fellow pulling the can's centrally located lid out with some pliers. I'm wondering if I can pack in some fiberglass to make a safer unit.

Thanks for bringing up this topic. If in a survival situation all one wants to do is heat up a can of whatever, why start a fire. One just needs a metal cup (food cans are lined with plastic these days) and a tiny alcohol burner.

Here's the best video I've found:

upload_2017-12-21_14-36-28.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Making your own alcohol gel (as used in Sterno cans):