The Force Was Weak...the Force Was Not With Me......

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Jul 26, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Went to the mountains last weekend. I love it up there and the irony is that I am on the sea coast.

Lots of people spend good monies to come here and see the ocean and the Chesapeake Bay....and there I go..preferring the mountains....

Go figure.

Stopping in a country store...they had a gun shop in the back.

Before I knew it..I'd asked to see a .45 ACP Kimber. What was I thinking???!!

Next thing you know...I was walking out with it...Like I need another handgun.

But.. Aye...God ....Woodrow.....it's a genuine Kimber!!!!

Never owned a Kimber....until now.

In disassembly ..it is a noticeably tight fit on the slide and bushing. I reckon that is part of the cost in a Kimber....versus a stock Government 1911. Stock Government 1911s are pretty loose by comparison and I do understand the reason for this looseness.

I figure it will take some 200 plus rounds to start breaking her in.

This one here.....

https://www.kimberamerica.com/custom-tle-em

Have not shot her as of yet...only disassembled, cleaned, and applied a very thin coat of Dow Corning M55 Silicon O ring grease as a moisture barrier. I do this with all my guns....even stainless guns.

Hope to get in some range time this weekend.

I gotta stop going into places like this........the "Force " becomes very weak....the force is not with me.!!!!

Watcherchris
    Turned into a weak kneed Ishmaelite by going into a gun store.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Morgan101, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump....Bump..

3. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Loose is more reliable, tight is more accurate.
    It's a compromise.

A tiny touch of lithium grease on the rails will keep things working smoothly.
    Kimber makes fine products.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I can see why you had to have it... Nice.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Kimber does make beautiful guns, albeit expensive. I came within an eyelash of getting one. The drawback (no pun intended) was it was so tight I could not get the slide to release. The sales guy in the gun store, who was very knowledgeable and experienced, could not get the slide to release. We could not get that gun to work properly for love nor money. I ended up getting something else, and was not disappointed. Hope the new Kimber works out for you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    BEAUTIFUL!!! Too tight can be fixed with use. A Colt Gold cup used to be like that but once you have it broke in you have something that is VERY special.

7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "Range Report...Kimber .45 ACP"

Wow...this Kimber is dead nuts accurate....and I have an accurate pistol in my Taurus Tracker .45ACP revolver.

No feeding or ejecting problems with FMJ round Ball...all of them worked...fine.

However......

This gun does not like cast bullets...feeding problems.

I am suspecting that the close machine tolerances are not conducive to cast style bullets.

Also I believe cast bullets need to be properly sized to around .452 for this pistol.

To be fair....also this gun is not even broken in. This may require another 300 to 500 rounds of shooting...or as TexDanm aptly ..described...with use.

Now...when I removed the magazine ...and fed the cast bullets in by hand...the gun was still dead nuts accurate.

So I'll not use any cast bullets while still in the breaking in stages....then after the breaking in period...re evaluate cast bullets.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Congrats!!! Maybe that will be your " go to " gun.

I 'm sure you are 100% correct. Let's just say I have a little different opinion. I am not buying something, especially at that price, that I have to fix. If I have to fix it then cut the price in half. I want to buy one that works. Not one that has to be fixed.

There are no guarantees that what you think is wrong will fix the problem. No guarantees that when you start to tinker with it, trying to fix what you think is wrong, won't void the warranty. I'm not walking out of the store with something I know doesn't work.

Your mechanical aptitude is off the charts good. You could probably fix it. Mine is not. I'm not going to take the chance.

TMT Tactical likes this.