The problem with canned goods

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I can see where you guys are coming from. Stockpiling canned goods at a cellar somewhere would probably be a jackpot decision if you ever need a long term food source that won't spoil easily, but the problem with food, and even canned food can't escape this, is the fact that they have an expiration date. Years maybe, but eventually, your stockpile is going to be pretty useless, and when the time is nearing that you will need to replace your whole stock, you will be left eating stale canned foods that have been in your cellar for years. What do you guys think about this? Any alternatives or solutions?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Home canned foods can last 20 plus years, so it would be a very long time before you had to worry about spoilage. To me the disadvantages of canned foods are that they are difficult to transport. That's why we dehydrate a lot of food as well.

Caribou likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you want to make a cache some place away from where you live, I suggest that you stick to dry foods, & store them in poly sewer pipes with screw on ends. These have rubber seals & can be purchased from any plumbers. You can drop some moisture absorbing sachets into these pipes before burying.
    Keith.

jeager likes this.
  4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    The way to do a stockpile of canned goods, is to lay out the cash for a good supply of what you want and store them under the beds or wherever. But immediately start using them. Then, rotating back to front, replenish them regularly. It won't cost a lot to keep them replenished. But by using them all along the way, you are guaranteed fresh food at all times.

Caribou likes this.
  5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Expiration dates are just trousers!
    They are for covering ones Arse! legal wise.

Most canned goods will last longer than the kid on the canning production line.

And up until it all go's arse up you should be rotating stock!

Caribou likes this.
  6. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:

The proper response to expired canned food is to learn how find own food and find any extensive methods of preserving that food. Once your knowledge of how to create your own version of the preserving processes is reliable then you will have less reason to be concerned.

7. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is why you have to change things every year. After a year of saving non perishable food you should have enough to last you just that long. This is the best way to avoid food spoiling or passing the expiration date. At the end of the year all you have to do is use your non perishable food, and start all over again for the next year.

8. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    One way storing Canned Vegetables that their shelf life is extended after the expiration date has to do with the temperature. You can help canned vegetables stay crisp longer by putting them away in a storeroom that has a consistent temperature of under 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Be attentive upon opening the canned food then. Just make sure that there are no unrecognizable black or discolored ingredients in the can and you should be able to still eat it without

9. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    That is why you stock items you actually use and rotate through said. First in, first one (FIFO) is the rule. Some canned goods last a very long time indeed. And, naturally, dried items should be part of the mix.

10. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    today I opened and ate a can of baked beans with a useby date of 1998
    All good!

Caribou likes this.
  11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This. And it's not like you need to eat that canned food everyday, rather just use some once in a while and the supply will keep rotating slowly but surely. Say you have 100 cans of food A... even eating one can per two weeks would make you rotate through your supply every 4 years, which should definitely be fast enough.

Caribou likes this.
  12. joshposh

joshposh Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    Canned goods do last longer then that is noted. I've done it a lot of times and it taste just fine. Canned goods is not the only stored goods you can stock pile. You also can store up some MREs. Those last for a long time as well. But as a prepper your stock pile should not be your only source of food. You need something sustainable, and having a garden or livestock can be replenish. To live only on canned goods would be foolish.

Canned goods is not a problem. The person thinking that it will last forever is the problem. You need options.

13. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I have quite a large stockpile of canned goods, I think they are important to have. I rotate my stockpile so that the oldest are always used first. I mainly have the canned goods for emergency weather situations, hurricanes etc.

14. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Trousers have expiration dates?
    I never knew.
    I sure am learning a lot here. :>)

Did you know one can suffer malnutritian from eating only rabbits.

However eating squirrels is quite healthy.

15. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, its called Rabbit Starvation, some of the old gold miners in the American west died because they had only rabbits to eat.

jeager likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    cans of food are not a replacement for other food post SHTF, they are a substitute for when you cant get fresh food either by growing/rearing/ hunting/ snaring/ foraging/fishing, because of inclement weather-storms etc, or your waiting for your first harvest , or because its plain not safe to go out.

jeager likes this.
  17. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I think of canned goods as something to fall back on until I can get
    better.
    I trap, have snares, hunt, fish, have guns and ammo.
    I want very much to learn more about smoke curing meats and sun drying
    veggies.
    It seems like these are good ways to preserve foods.
    I have a food drier but haven't used it in years.
    I need dig it out, clean it up, and make sure it still works.
    I used to make beef jerky in the oven.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-homemade-beef-or-turkey-snack-recipes-from-the-kitchn-95962

One of many sites on the web.
    Lots of info on the web about almost anything at our finger tips.
    Love it.

lonewolf likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    correct, its a "fall back" position for when you cant get fresh, and is only supposed to last for a limited time, say 12 months maximum.

19. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Here:
    30+ Years Dry beans Lentils Rolled or whole oats Pearled barley Pasta Potato flakes Cocoa powder White rice Corn Wheat
    Indefinite Sugar Honey Salt Baking powder Baking soda Cornstarch Shelf life is very much affected by storage conditions and will be shortened considerably by storing the food where it is subjected to extreme heat, wide temperature fluctuations, moisture, or exposure to pests.
    The very best way to make food storage shelf life not matter so much is to rotate your food storage and use the food in your every day meals. If I am using my food storage properly, I won’t have any of it in my pantry for thirty years since it will be used and replaced long before it expires! Then it doesn’t matter if my peanut butter expires in 2 years or 30 years since I used it within a year of purchasing it. For more assistance with your own food storage plan plus lots of other helpful tips, get your own copy of my book, Food Storage for Self Sufficiency and Survival.
    http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/food-storage-shelf-life/

I don't post anything I haven't done research on and/or experienced.

30 + years for some dried food goods is now well past my lifetime.
    I've eaten home canned high acid foods that were 3 years old and it was
    fine.
    Samo with high sugar fruits.
    Careful storage is essential.
    Cool dark, dry.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  20. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Trousers have expiration dates?
    I never knew.
    I sure am learning a lot here. :>)

When you get up in the morning what do you put on to cover your ARSE?? Trousers! so expiry dates are like trousers they are just covering a business's legal Arse!
    so not to get it kicked in court!

jeager likes this.
  21. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Ohhhhhhhhh, well DUH on me!
    Thanks.

22. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Canned food is one of the best things to have in the event of a disaster. It may still maintain it's integrity even after being exposed to many adverse conditions. However, the life of canned foods is not infinite and it's usually produced with an expiry date, this means it's not advisable that the content should be consumed after the prescribed date because it could be harmful to the consumer.

23. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I completely agree with you. And I would just like to add the fact that canned food loses a bunch of its nutrients over time. So after 5+ years of storing a can of food it will start to lose its nutrients.

24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    5 years? in the UK if you can store 1years worth your doing well, most haven't got anything like that.

25. zackdsilvis

zackdsilvis New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Canned food is good if it's like vegetables or something basic. But canned meats are good like corned beef.

Canning your own is simple once you learn how to do it.

26. Dallas845

Dallas845 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Also need to watch out for other factors, not just the expiration date. https://zamonthly.org/2019/01/09/prepper-pro-tip-beware-of-botulism/

TMT Tactical likes this.