The Rabbit Stick.

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by Keith H., May 9, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The rabbit stick is a very basic tool which is easy to make. With a point sharpened on one or both ends it can also be used as a digging stick. The rabbit stick should be between one & one & a half feet long. The advantage of the rabbit stick over a rock is that if thrown sideways it covers a larger area. It can also be thrown over arm like a tomahawk. The rabbit stick is also good for hunting duck coming off the water.

Many years ago when my eldest son was seven years of age & I was carrying another son on my back in a carrier, I saw a snake striking at my 7 year old. It was actually hitting him on his right leg, but not biting. I was unable to run quickly or even properly with my other son on my back, but I covered ground as fast as I could, all the time watching for a stick to throw. At about 15 to 20 yards I found a suitable stick & threw it whilst on the move. The stick struck the snake near its head & knocked it aside & it left.
    Had I not learnt to throw the tomahawk I probably could not have done as well as I did.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

richj8am30 likes this.
  2. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

This man is a legend.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    You will also do or did a throwing tutorial?. I would be quite interested in learning about properly throwing a tomahawk or any other sharp or piercing object.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I will post on this now for you Endure on this forum.
    Keith.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably known in this country as a "priest" or throwing stick.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. dero56

dero56 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Probably one of the simplest yet effective primitive tools you can make, basically a pointed stick but one that has many uses. I remember making similar sticks when I was a kid but all I really used it for was hitting plants and digging holes which it was quite effective at performing. Seems there is more to it than just being a pointed stick and you can make this kind of tool anywhere rural.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    The native Americans here made them that had air foils that worked opposite of each other so when they threw it it would teeter back and fourth keeping it air born for a longer time some people call them Kyle Stick it said they could take small deer and rabbits up to 60 yards away with them personally I have taken racoons and dove with ones I have made but at only about 18 yards.

8. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts: