The Reality Of Teotwawki

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Keith H., Jul 13, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I hear that a lot of people intend to bug in in the cities & towns, despite the fact that there will not be: any running water, electricity, working toilets or access to food from the local corner shop or supermarket. There will be: raiders, gangs, Mack trucks run into your living room, fire bombs. If you are in a high rise apartment building you can easily be burnt alive by just one fire on the ground floor!

So, where do you plan to survive this TEOTWAWKI event (should it happen), & what precautions are you going to make to keep your family & or self safe?

Personally I am living in a forest, & this winter we are widening the firebreaks. The first inkling we have of a SHTF situation happening, we will be erecting Palisades around both houses, posting sentries, & sending out Rangers each day to patrol the area. We are already growing our own food supplies & we have a good area to hunt & forage in. Collectively we have all the tools, equipment, supplies, skills & experience we need to live in this place long term without any aid from outside.
    How about you?
    Keith.

Morgan101 likes this.
  2. LilSoldierGirl

LilSoldierGirl Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    If it is a serious event my partner and I will drive the 100km to my parent's rural property. We are both ex-mil and have all our packs and gear from our time in Army. I don't have any of my own guns, but my dad is a gun nut and has lots of guns. And my employer supplies armed forces around the world with all sorts of equipment, right up to light tanks. I guess it depends what is laying around the office.

Patrolling on foot and in vehicles, piquet, house clearing are all skills we have.

Keith, have you considered using a drone for patrols? Less risk to those you love.

Keith H. likes this.
    1. Keith H.
      I had not thought of using drones, a lot of area to cover, & all forest, I wonder how they would go. Worth thinking about perhaps.
      Keith.

Keith H., Jul 14, 2017
  3. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I do plan to bug in. I have about 4 months supply of food on hand. I purchased an old tractor. Then 2 more for parts. I got 2 tillers in the mix. I hope to convert one over to wood gasification so I can run the tiller. Given time I will make this happen.

I see several different levels of events. The worst case would require defending life with whatever means needed as a die off occurs. (big trucks driving into the house!) So depending on whats happening what I will do will change. I have a wife and 2 young children.

Part of my plan is feeling things out.

Extinction level or near extinction level event? Societal type collapse? Limited to a continent? Power grid failure? I need to have a feel for whats happening.

Many of these call for laying low and being quite. Disappear for a while. If I feel my limited food stocks will be critical this will be more likely.

Some may require my getting the men here locally I know and working together. I know 6 guys better and first name basis. I know another 6 so so on a first name basis.

I have a get home bag. I do have something like a bug out bag. Not so much as most people have planned.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i live in the middle of the English countryside on the very edge of a small market town-very low population numbers- go any further than my place and you are going out of the parish.
    unless they are a local most people have never heard of this place, I am surrounded by fields of hay, sheep and cattle.
    my house is on the highest point in the area and a I have a clear field of fire, I can see anyone coming long before they get here.
    most people that live here are not country people, they commute 60-100 miles every day for work, I believe 2 things: either many of them wont make it back home in the event of TEOTWAWKI or as soon as the power goes off they will leave and go to relatives houses elsewhere, this place could be a ghost town in a relatively short time, it is during the day already.
    it is also possible that(in Britain anyway) rather than leave the city many people will head INTO the city thinking that is the place that will get relieved first.
    I plan to bug in, but if things go pear shaped I have 6 other places I can go to- abandoned and unused which I have already located and scouted for further use.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Keith H. likes this.
  5. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Just curious as to what scenario you see as ushering in TEOTWAWKI. It would seem that many seem to expect a sudden event rather than a series of events and chain reactions. I have contingencies and plans for various scenarios but myself and I would suspect most people are less prepared for a sudden catastrophic event. Keith sounds like the most prepared for that type of scenario.

Morgan101 and Keith H. like this.
    1. Keith H.
      Nothing specific in mind Tex, so much going on these days. We have terrorism, North Korea shaking a big stick, Indonesia not far away, & we have a corrupt government who has confiscated semi-autos & pump action guns & they have implemented anti self defence laws by banning anything & everything from being purchased or carried for self defence. Personally I think our own government is our worst enemy, but then who knows.
      Not likely to get natural disasters here where we are in New England, but then I suppose there is always the chance of a comet coming out of the blue. I guess for me the most important thing is to become as self sufficient as possible & improve my living conditions as much as I can as I get older.
      Keith.

Keith H., Jul 14, 2017
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Our plan is to bug in. We are not in the best area, but we are not in the worst either. Aside from all of the advantages of having everything we need in our home, we are also close to a hospital, and medical care which is critical for two family members.

This may be a false sense of security since there is no guarantee those facilities will be open or staffed, be mine will not be able to survive without it. So, I plan as best I can. Maybe I have to plan for heavier security to keep and protect what is mine. Going off grid, and living remotely won't work for me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the problem with hospitals is they are liable to be one of the first places to be looted by druggies and rioters.(once they've trashed the supermarkets and other stores).

Yenix, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  8. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Very true, but where else are you going to go? When maintenance medication is required, or specific treatments that only a hospital can provide you don't have a choice. These are not things that can be treated with herbal medicine or remedies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I really don't think there will be any functioning hospitals post TEOTWAWKI, even if there are the supply of drugs and equipment will cease to the level of some of the 3rd world countries you see in war zones on the tv news.

koolhandlinc and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Are you allowed to purchase antibiotics without prescription in USA?

11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    @Morgan101
    Since you have to have special treatment and special medicine, make really good friends with the staff that is treating your family members. Find out how to get and store the special medicine your family member needs. You may not be able to get it in the USA but Mexico or some other country may sell it. Find out all there is to know about the equipment the hospital uses for the treatment. Can it be relocated to your residence after a collapse? I think you see where I am going with this. The hospital may get raided or looted, it may run out of medicine but if you have a supply, you may be able to trade some of your stored antibiotics (surplus) for the special treatment your family member is going to need. If this turns into a very long term event, then you will have done all you could but the outcome is predetermined.

Morgan101 likes this.
  12. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that Morgan.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sadly........NO

koolhandlinc and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Animal / fish antibiotics (same or similar to human in some cases) but not all without a prescription.

15. koolhandlinc

245/345

Blog Posts:
    There are so many variables. So plans are variable. Bug in unless forced out. If we leave the poop is really flyin.

lalakai and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    My belief is that you need to plan ahead for contingencies, even if you plan to bug in you will also need a plan in case you need to run. You need a safe destination that you know well and where you are sure to be welcomed. Never make yourself into a refugee. You need a planned route with the minimum of choke points and obstacles and a realistic mode of travel. You need to rehearse this plan with family members so you all understand what the plan is.
    Keep it simple and realistic.

17. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    To the best of my knowledge the only antibiotic available OTC (over the counter - no prescription required) is Amoxicillin, and this has to be purchased as a fish supply. This is similar to penicillin. Amoxicillin is effective against bacterial infections, but not viral infections such as cold or flu.

I have always been concerned about dosage, but Amoxicillin comes in 250 mg tablets, and the recommended dosage is 250 - 500 mg two or three times per day.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

All good advice TMT, and I appreciate it. What we are dealing with is asthma and diabetes, and it has been a life long struggle. 99.9 % of the time everything is fine, and regulated by maintenance medication. We have gone the alternative prescription route with mixed results. I would honestly say most of the time the alternatives worked fine, but there have been times when what we got was not effective. Don't know if it was old or fake or what it was, but it didn't work. A very scary thing when this is supposed to help you breathe. You are relying on it, and it isn't working.

That small % of the time when you need a medical professional there is no substitute. It is highly regulated and controlled steroids. and special treatments. We have been looking for natural alternatives for decades, but have never found anything.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

Here are a couple of links that might help you. I really like this gal. I think in the second video she offers a link for where to get them.

Hope this helps.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure if this was some one's screw up or not but about 4 months ago I purchases some serious antibiotics "doxycycline " from the Russian federation , people antibiotics . They immediately after filling my order posted "doxycycline no longer available " . You can check it out . I am not sure if I managed to slip an order thru accidental or not .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That's still better than nothing at all.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    In Russia, it is possible to buy antibiotics normally without a prescription. Only you can have problems ešith customs in your country. They should not be allowed to send it abroad.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    fish antibiotics are usually suggested as an alternative.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    When I used to travel abroad for work I used to carry a medical pack, it was pretty comprehensive and contained IV needles, plasma and antibiotics, they're more common than you would expect when travelling in 3rd world countries and customs barely give these packs a second glance.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. koolhandlinc

245/345

Blog Posts:
    I basically agree. Even with this. Its needed to have flexibility and contingencies. I had a job on the other side of a major city and river. So I had a get home bag with a flotation device because of the bridges being major chokes or control points. Then I was prepared to travel at night if need be.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. koolhandlinc

245/345

Blog Posts:
    I was looking back at this thread and my first post. Still have not been able to get the gasification system going on my tractor. Job changes several times now. I think this one will work out for the better. I have access to lathes mills, welders etc. So I will have equipment to use. I was told to wait until I have been there a while before I attempt to use the equipment.

I have a little water to get to from home. A lot just a short distance away. Rethinking some at this time.

TMT Tactical likes this.