The Resilient Gardener — Surviving And Thriving

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by elkhound, Mar 6, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    a really good talk with carol deppe. covers lots of info and thoughts and views about long term gardening/farming.she also notes some details globally that happened about 500a.d. very interesting.hope this helps...

2. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    another interview and what she is doing to help all gardeners and farmers globally.

The Open Source Seed Initiative — Protecting Our Food Commons

3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I have her book and it is a worthwhile read.

The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times, by Carol Deppe

The blurb from the back of the book reads, in part:

Creative, productive gardening for good times and bad....presents gardening techniques that stand up to challenges ranging from health problems, financial problems, and special dietary needs to serious disasters and climate change.

...Learn how to:

- Grow food in an era fo wild weather and climate change
    - Garden with little to no irrigation or "store bought" inputs
    - Garden efficiently and comfortably (even with a bad back
    - Keep a laying flock of ducks or chickens, integrate them with your gardening, and grow most of their feed

------

There's more but for brevity's sake, I will say that she seems to focus on "five crops you need to survive and thrive -- potatoes, corn, beans, squash, and eggs." I like how she outlines the successes of traditional Native American gardening and applies them to her garden.

This is great for gardening today and I encourage you to get this wonderful book, but in the case of severe and prolonged SHTF, I think that the tall cornstalks waving in the breeze and the plump ducks and chickens will be a drawing card for looters, packs of wild dogs and other hungry animals. Even in most remote locations, sooner or later, depredations will occur. I will not lose sleep worrying about defending my garden 24/7 because I have plans B, C, and D in mind for that eventuality. Until then, Carol Deppe is on point!

DirtDiva, elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.