The Trail Snare for Larger Game.

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools and Weapons' started by Keith H., Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Ripkor

Ripkor Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Could you place a stick in the ground if there is no brush to drape the other end of the rope? Awesome video by the way!

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely, the ground is too hard here to do this but using a stick is just fine. One of my sons saw some fallow deer near that same area early this morning:)
    Keith.

Ripkor likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    EXCELENT Video. The only place where I vary is in that I use stainless steel aircraft cable with snare locks and then dispatch with a long spear. The spear eliminated any noise and by cutting the living animal's throat begins the butcher process. If you have other people you can set up your snares and then have a drive and that will increase your catch rate. I would have a heavy boar spear in my hands and a 357 mag on my hip just in case. Your setup is SPOT ON and works no matter where you are for the larger game animals. This, rather than gun hunting, is the way to put meat in the larder.

Another thing that I've been known to do is set my snares on trails and then go and urinate on the trails that don't have snares on them.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Great video Keith!

Keith H. likes this.
  6. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I have always had an interest in trapping. Ropes, cables, knots & such are another skill set so useful for survival. I have studied a bit on snares but haven't yet constructed a live set with the intent of a catch. In large part because I did not want to kill an animal for no more reason than to test a set. When the time comes to put food on the table or stop predators endangering livestock there will be many sets placed around my homestead.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. tominwash

tominwash Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic video. I am amazed at how much I don't know. A hundred years ago most everyone had skills like this, now....what 1 in a million?

Keith H. likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, practice in miniature on mice and rats. The principals are the same and the rats need controlling anyway. Rats are SMART and you will have to improve your techniques because they will learn to avoid your snares pretty quick. Besides that in most ecologies the further down on the food chain you go the more available food you will find. We may not think of rats as food but there are more pounds of rats than there are of deer in most areas.

The most effective snares are not legal in many places because they will indiscriminately kill any animal that gets caught in them. A spring trap that will lift the animal off its feet and strangle it will be more successful simply because the animal can't pull bite and struggle against the cable or rope for as long as it takes for you to get there.

In a survival situation if you catch it you will probably eat it! Sad to say but for a while dogs will be big on a lot of menus.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    GS AutoTech likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you want to practice, use ordinary pure wool yarn. It breaks easily & will not stay on the animal for long & won't hurt the animal.
    Keith.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  10. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a particular interest in energy traps. I have a abundance of springy saplings to work with. Those sets can be tested without catching & killing.
    Spotting & reading trails, funneling trails & cubby construction is the other half of the equation that needs practice.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely.
    Keith.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you have the energy I have seen pitfall traps work on pigs. Also dead fall traps work pretty well. Truthfully nearly anything is more productive than sitting in a stand waiting for something to just walk by. That is why most of those things are either limited or flat out illegal for game animals. That is why I've commented several times that picking the brain of a poacher is worthwhile.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  13. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    True, hunting for sport & hunting for survival are two very different games.
    When your life depends on it, use every edge available to increase your success.

14. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I tease my wife constantly about our dog. He's a large lazy overweight Plot Hound. He's sweet but dumb as a post.
    I tell her when SHTF he will make several meals for us. ;)

15. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    P
    Pit fall traps probably wouldn't do well here unless I want to drown the hog. Water table is pretty high depending to the season.