Things That Are Now Scarce/prices Up Due To Coronavirus

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Blitz, Apr 14, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    A couple of important things I've noticed in my area.

The first thing is seeds. You cannot buy them for love nor money. They are so scarce it is unbelievable. None of the nurseries have any stock left, the same with hardware stores that usually have an abundance. I'm a member of a "Diggers Club" which are no longer selling seeds or seedlings due to the demand, either online or in their store.

Luckily for me, my son and daughter in law are both nurserymen (whatever ...). They have been collecting seeds and seedlings ... mwaaahhhh ...

The second thing is vegetables and eggs have absolutely skyrocketed. Vegetables are now anywhere up to $5 per kilo more expensive to buy. In Aus, this is a knock-on effect from firstly the bushfires which destroyed so many farms, then the floods, and now the Coronavirus.

I have been approached by several people all wanting some of my chooks, which are all egg layers. I wouldn't be surprised if people start stealing chickens, as there are apparently none for sale ANYWHERE.

I'm going to have to start being more vigilant me thinks ...

So what are you finding in your area that is now massively overpriced or scarce?

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    Gasoline is reasonably cheap and abundant, but gas cans are as scarce as rocking horse poop.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
    1. Blitz
      That's interesting. When you say "gas cans" do you mean petrol cans? Or are you talking about LPG or propane gas cans?

Fuel prices are about the same so far. I don't expect that will last though.

Blitz, Apr 14, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Luckily for me, my son and daughter in law are both nurserymen (whatever ...). They have been collecting seeds and seedlings ... mwaaahhhh ..."

I'm so glad you have this resource & kin in one package! This eases my heart so much.

"I have been approached by several people all wanting some of my chooks, which are all egg layers. I wouldn't be surprised if people start stealing chickens, ..."

Blitz, dear lady, shoot their a$$es off.

"Oh officer, these retched people were crawling about my chicken coop and I mistook them for the foxes that are so often trying to kill my poor chickens. Ever so sorry."

Dear Blitz, I witness the masses buying-up the most stupid things and leaving what I've readily purchased. Idiots abound and this pandemic has germinated more.

Speaking of which ...

As to the seeds leaping out the bins, most people don't know how to germinate seeds and keep alive the seedlings. What horrid shame they'll go to rot.

'Tis come the time to get back into production the Soylent Green factories.

969f11d948ead5ca7c53d72dfb60afce.jpeg

TMT Tactical, Skywalker and Blitz like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Oh my dear Gold Geezer ... I nearly pee-ed myself reading your post. You do make my day so often ...

Talking of which, said son finally bought a ute and came up on the weekend. How wonderous it was! We went out into the forest whereupon he cut loads of firewood for me, as well as doing all the other chores I had earmarked for him. Poor bugger...

He's coming again next weekend, whereupon I have several more chores ready for him, such as planting my garden, for example, whipper snippering, mowing, cutting down dead trees, putting up curtain rails, cleaning out shed .... mwaaahhhh ...

Don't worry. I've already thought of shooting some arses off. I have my trusty Winchester ready, willing and able. I came up with a cunning plan ... afterall, if one is cleaning one's longarm, as well as checking one's ammo supply ... when some nefarious, treacherous underbelly of the universe happens upon my property to avail myself of my precious wardens (being chickens of course), well ... what can I say?

TMT Tactical and Skywalker like this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    seeds and petrol cans are something I purchased long before the virus even reared its ugly head.
    its just part of normal preparedness.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I do have to admit I have been completely surprised at what the panicked people have bought up. While I consider toilet paper a nice luxury, I never expected a run on it. All the paper products have now been added to the restricted list and are in short supply. Who would figure napkins and paper towels would be the first to be snapped up. Ammo and firearm shortages was another surprise. I expected gun people to stock up a bit but not so many of the general population. Petrol prices has been dropping, due to Opec and Russia getting into their petty price war and also do to a drop in demand /consumption of gasoline. I also admit I am surprised so many people are demanding an end to the lock down already. I had expected this reaction to happen in late May and be ended in late June. Lots of surprises. None of them has caused any problems for my family but it certainly has been interesting and informative with regards to future events.

Blitz likes this.