Think About Canned Meats.

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by jeager, Jul 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=grocery&field-keywords=canned+meat

I'm not giving Amazon a plug, do your own on line shopping.
    Amazon is just one example.
    However Amazon does have great prices.
    Just a thort.
    I like canned tuna.
    I've had fresh tuna and canned is better.
    Heart healthy and great source of protein.
    Canned foods will tide you over 'till you perfect your
    shooting skills, atalatl throwing, knife throwing, sling shot
    shooting..........................just kidding.

https://huntingchef.com/2011/11/13/how-to-can-fish-in-a-pressure-cooker/

Don't have a pressure cooker/canner?
    Are you a survivalist or not?
    Just sayin'.
    I orta write a survival guide and make millions.
    Or at least a buck or maybe even two.:p

Caribou likes this.
  2. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Yup, I like that stuff.

3. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    NOLA?
    Wassat?
    Have you been at the crack pipe again?
    Just askin'.:D

4. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwww we gotta troll on board.

5. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks "dude".
    Now go away.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Small Canned hams, sardines, Spam (YUK!), Vienna Sausages, Tuna, Corned beef, canned chicken, Underwood deviled meats... I devote one entire cabinet to canned meats. There used to be a canned bacon that was GREAT and I always used it when camping but it is gone and the new stuff is not even close to the same. The stuff I used to get was just raw smoked bacon and cheap the new stuff is precooked and very expensive.. I wonder how the precooked boxed bacon holds up these days. I haven't tried it yet. It isn't meat but I generally keep a gallon of lard on hand. It is pure calories and you can add it to anything you cook in a pot.

I look at most of these things as seasoning to go into beans and rice, soups and stews rather than as stand alone foods. When food is short you cook everything in a pot so you don't lose any of the available nutrition. Roasting things over a fire wastes a lot of the fat and stuff that you really need.

Meat is important because you need the L-carnitine in it to help your body metabolize fats.

Caribou and Jay Logan like this.
  7. Jay Logan

Jay Logan Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Great info, thanks.. just beginning what you said, use canned meat as seasoning rice/ beans etc..
    now I just need to get some recipes..

Caribou likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Jeagar,

Yes, am a believer in canned meats, especially seafood categories like kippers, sardines, tuna, anchovies, salmon

There's an Asian grocery store south of here in the big town where there are many canned meat products not seen in the Krogers, Walmarts, Aldis. My Prep Gp has a co-op so we must get the basic stuff that our member-restaurant owner uses in his place. The Asian stuff is personal purchase and usually not needed.

Ages ago, there were cans of Canadian bacon. Haven't seen in, well, ages, ... at least here in Virginia.

Caribou likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm the same. Especially fish. I've never seen canned bacon. It would be interesting to taste it and see what it's like.

We used to buy canned pies (I can't remember the name of them), either steak or steak and kidney, which primarily came from the UK. You would take the lid off with a can opener, put them in the oven for 40 minutes or so and the puff pastry would rise. They were absolutely delicious but unfortunately they stopped selling them over here. The canned pie base was handy to reuse too. We had several of them kicking around. Not sure if you can still get them in the UK. Wish I could remember the name of them. It's really annoying me!

Caribou likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What kind of recipies do you want?

Caribou likes this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There used to be some canned bacon that was cheap and great for camping and such. Celebrity sliced bacon, it was sold by K-mart. It was basically just raw bacon rolled up tight and then canned. I'm not sure what happened it disappeared. There is a new caned bacon, Yodders I think, but it is insanely expensive, precooked and not worth it. Being pre-cooked means that most of the fat is cooked away. I liked the Celebrity because I could fry the bacon and then fry eggs and such.

https://www.amazon.com/Yoders-Canned-Fully-Cooked-Bacon/dp/B006YXOOI6

That is $30.00 for 9 ounces!!!!

Caribou likes this.
  12. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a bit of commercial canned protein on the shelf. Over the years I've canned salmon, smoked salmon, beans and ham, caribou, moose, corned moose, and beef. I'm probably missing some.

danil54grl, Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have tons of canned tuna. It is staple of my diet, and I eat it almost every day. I have not ventured out into the other canned meats. I don't know why. Just some reluctance.

Caribou and Blitz like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I also like tinned fruit. You can get some wonderful varieties. Great if you can't get fresh fruit. Also great for making pies.

Caribou likes this.
  15. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think you mean Fray Bentos .
    I've still got a couple in the larder but i'd only eat them as a last resort.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes! That's them! Do they still make them?

Used to love them with mashed spuds and peas. Yum!

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes they still make them although I haven't seen them for some time but then i'm not looking for them.

18. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I wonder why we can't buy them here anymore. I'll have to investigate other shops to see if they may sell them.

19. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen canned ape that my grandfather accidently bought . No one wanted to eat something that looked that close to being human so it got throwed away . That was many years ago and I don't know if that is something that is still on the market .

danil54grl, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    What? I've never heard of canned ape. I can't imagine the Sudanese or any other country in Africa canning ape - ever. I know some nefarious groups have tried to smuggle different illegal meats into western countries under the guise of other meats but never canned. It certainly shouldn't be on the market now, seeing as they're an endangered species. I think they've been endangered for quite a number of years now. Geez ... what a disturbing thought. Are you sure it wasn't canned food for monkeys?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Taking my third load of food stuff to work and augment my cache in my locker...

Ravioli, two cans of spam, two cans of chicken meat, a can of soup.

Will eventually be adding some packages of dried fruit and nuts as well. I like this stuff called tropical fruit mix..

Been staying close to home but need to go out and located two fresh cans of sterno fuel to replace the cans I've had in
    that locker for years now.

Never cared for sardines or Vienna Sausages but will tolerate them as need be. They are compact...in size.

Though it is not long term storage..I will often take to work with me a can of Pringles chips....but the chips have been devoured. I use the can and lid for inserting a tube of saltine crackers and putting them in my daily locker...not this locker on which I am stocking up.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

22. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    it is important that you have a balanced diet, therefore you need protein, fruit & vegetable, grain, Fat. Meat with it high protein even if canned filled out that requirement for protein and fat . Beans are also an excellent source of protein . I have bought all sort of corned beef, spam, canned ham, click and clam , canned luncheon meats tuna , salmon , That were on sale at a very low price. some of this stuff i remember from my youth. It might not be that satisfying but it will keep you healthy and able to work. I watch a lot of survival reality shows like alone ect. and one thing i have learned is that without good nutrition your body and energy levels drop to places where you can not do anything other than sleep.

23. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It said on the can canned ape . The can looked sorta like a canned ham thus the mistake buying it .That was about 55 years ago . Back then you could send off and buy you a mail order monkey for a pet . I guess things have changed some since then .

24. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think I still have a can of smoked muscles on the shelf. You guys are making me hungry.

25. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha. Same as you Caribou. I found some smoked anchovies which I've tucked into. Absolutely divine! I've also got some smoked muscles and oysters but I keep them for special occasions. Am tempted though ...