Tips For Firemaking Materials In The Wild

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Okaviator, Jul 1, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I've always been fascinated with outdoor survival. However, I've always struggled with finding the right materials to make a fire. What are some materials that you guys use to start a fire in the wilderness?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you look further on this particular forum All Resources About Fire, you will find all the information you are looking for.
    Keith.

3. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I've actually found exactly what I've been looking for. And I can actually say that I've learned a lot more than what I actually expected to learn. It's been quite a pleasant surprise to find such a massive amount of quality information.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to making a good fire, dry leaves and twigs are your best bet. Always make sure you stay with the young fire and nuture it to a bigger one. Also place around 4 to 8 dry woods in a pyramid position over the fire. But if you are looking to just create an SOS fire, always add fresh vine leaves as this help produce smoke. A piece of paper or plastic could come in handy if you really need to make a fire.

Survive all the way.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    plastic is the last thing you want to put on a fire, it'll smolder and melt not burn and will give off toxic gases.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    8CtpXTRR7I5Xd9z9lvWRnxqg9XsXLbFi.png I am biting my tongue again!

lonewolf likes this.
  7. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Note: keyword - "if you really need to make a fire"... this is the wild we are talking about. Its survival man... who cares about toxic smell, you just want to build a fire that will get you throug the wild at that period. Not that you will be using plastic to make a fire every other day.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    plastic does not burn it melts so its useless for starting a fire, even if you want to chance the toxic gases.
    prepared people will have a fire lighting kit anyway. I know several people that have these, I know Keith does as do I.
    anyone who goes blundering about in the woods without the right kit isn't going to last very long.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry zeedollar but lonewold is right. Plastic is not a good choice for making fire I have seen countless people trying to use plastic for lighting camp fires & it did not work. It takes a lot to get it going, & the smell travels far & can attract unwanted attention. If you are going to post information, think about it first, don't guess. Only pass on tried & proven methods based on your own experience.
    If you are in the wild, where does one find this plastic? What if there are no vines where this person is? Dry leaves & twigs are not necessarily the best, it all depends on where you are. What if it is raining, then what do you use? Where do you find dry materials? What is this person using to make fire, matches? Lighter? Some modern gadget? Flint & steel? Both lonewolf & I can tell when a person has little experience just by reading their comment/reply. Guesswork helps no one. Stick to the things you know, & know well. A few camping trips does not make you an experienced survivalist. If you are not interested in learning, then perhaps you should consider looking for different forums.
    Keith.

10. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Plenty of pine trees around my area so if in a pinch for some quick hit burning water proof fuel, I'd find some pine rosin. It catches spark really well

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Catches a spark really well from what? Certainly not from flint & steel.
    Keith.

12. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Gather dead. Dry branches from the ground if it snaps when btoken its dry strat with smallest growth on limbs small little pile of these igmight with your starter liighter match flunt and steel mgnify glass as long as thoe small twigs catch and urn slowly add small to larger pieces till fire is size you want

13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can't make fire with flint & steel just using twigs, you need to use tinder & Finer kindling than twigs. Twigs & sticks are best taken from standing flora rather than on the ground when the ground is damp/wet.
    Keith.

14. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Was showed that by my grand dad when knee high never failed me in 55 years and im sorry but yourflunt and steel isnt to me the vest way to spark a fire does it work yes in hand that know what they are doing most of thwse people have little knowledge of what your talking about a fkint and steel let alone the ability to use it they tgibk a zippo is old and have never saw flint and steel let alone used one i mostly when needed use a pack of matches to work with to make fire in the woods they come here to learn not be belittled and mocked your not the god of survival just think you are yes you live in the woods in the outback but i feel your life and life of others have never been on the line

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can feel what you like, but my life has been on the line more than once. I think it is up to everyone with knowledge, skill & experience to correct mistakes made on this forum & to do the best we can to save lives & help people survive. Flint & steel is sustainable, as are other primitive methods. Safety matches & cigarette lighters are NOT sustainable & therefore should NOT be relied on. If you take offence at being corrected for your mistakes or lack of knowledge, then stop posting rubbish. Yes lighters are good, so are matches, I use matches in the house to light our fires. But if you are going to recommend these methods, then you need to state that they are for short term use only, & not to be relied on in a survival situation. THIS IS A SURVIVAL FORUM! Many people on this forum are ignorant of many things, & you are not helping by being so flippant with your comments. If you keep making mistakes or spreading misinformation, then I will keep correcting you.
    Keith.

16. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Im far from misinformed read carefuly what i posted i sade staet with the smallest growth on the branch what would that be but tinder like as it started to burn add to it moe tinder as it grew slowly add increaseing in size till fre size is reached i have used that method for years and once fire is going it should never go out if need to move fire can be carried and kwpt goung so when new place is settled fire is easy to get going in new spot

17. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Best tip i know for fire start vaseoline and cottonball in ziplock bag plae a scoupe of vaseoline in baggie add cottonballs seal and squish bag till balls are covered one ball burns well slowly start small and build slowly with dry wood no vaseoline use chapstick dryer lint will work with both allso if no cotton balls any ugigter system will fire this flint and steel today are called ferous rods or magnesium rod new and improve vesion of it flint wears and breaks knife bladeused on rods work well

18. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Pine sap will crystallize and it will catch a spark from a ferro rod. It oozes from Pine trees all over the Alabama coast.

19. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Keith what is fatwood ?

20. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It's pine wood that has a high concentration of pine sap. Also called lighter knot. Burns like gas :)

21. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Jeith made comment above that flint and steel wouldnt ignite pine with sap something ive done many times and saw done many times. His narrow mindedness and ego gets him heated hes right and only his way is right so im a thorn in his side lol