Tool Heavy

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by omegaman, Sep 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    These days I carry a proper bow saw with me when Im out in the wild. I used to carry only a foldable saw and a hatchet but the (minimal) weightgain on my pack and the extra bulk is worth it any day of the week.
    They are cheap, you can get a descent one from any hardwarestore for under 10US. A small foldable saw is still with me but mostly used around the campfire for small tasks and is still the best when it comes to taking down small limbs for shelter-building and insulation and such.
    When Im out wheeling I have a chainsaw with me and a bowsaw as a backup. The extra weight is no problem in a scenario like that or when canooing or similar.
    I tend to go more tool heavy the older I get. I have gone from going out in the wild with nothing but a knife toolwise to carry a felling axe, a good saw, a file, a couple of wedges, pliers and more. Not talking about how many knives you will save not having to do everything with it.
    I have ruined so many knives. Hundreds upon hundred dollars of Esee, CS, CRKT's and Moras. My tiny little 511 I have now has 2011 scratched into the side of the blade and was 3US dollars.
    I have realized that the weight of being tool heavy is worth it because it conserves so many calories once at camp. Also I have given up the idea to sort of "fight" against my enviroment but rather just roll with it and be as comfortable as possible. Also, when your rifle or fishing reel or whatever the case may be breaks on you, you can carry out repairs in the field with the tools and the knowhow. Knowhow can be improvized, but try and make a wrench with your knife. Go on, Im waiting ;) My grandad allways had a roll of iron wire with him, and I picked up on this a few years ago, about the time he died. A whole new world opened up. Shelter construction became so much easier not having to mess around with twine all the time. I dont miss trying to get tension on wet paracord the least bit. The only paracord I have on me now is my bootstraps. Rope is still no:1 when it comes to setting a ridgeline still however. A good stiff rope.

Don't travel light, travel just right! ;)

/Ome

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I never have ruined a knife. Knives have a special purpose & they should not be used for anything else. Never have understood anyone carrying a saw, again, a saw has only one use & I have never needed one out bush. A tomahawk is far more useful & more versatile, multi purpose. If I foresee heavier cutting work then I carry my light half-axe. I guess your years of experience has been different to mine. I hope it continues to work for you.
    Keith.

3. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I find having a small good quality axe or hatchet can do just as much as a saw. A good wire saw can replace a bigger saw and save the weight as well.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    An 18th century Trade Axe/Tomahawk pattern is much lighter than a modern hand axe. You can do so much more with a belt axe than you can do with a saw.
    Keith.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Saws are massively useful and about the lightest cutting tool there is. I carry an assortment. The thing is that all I carry are the blades. I guess if you had the patience you could cut down a giant redwood with a pocket knife but that doesn't mean that a pocket knife is as good as an ax. The thing is that with a saw I can make small more delicate cuts and shape things in ways that would be a lot harder to do with a hawk or a knife. I also carry a small assortment of drills and gimlets and a small draw knife. The entire drill and saw assortment doesn't weigh much over a pound. Throw in a few nails, screws. zip ties and bailing wire and it is amazing what you can do in a hurry for shelter.

I am a tool user and will carry the extra weight if it means that when I settle I will have the tools that I need to make myself comfortable. A small ax head, an Adz head, a small shovel blade and an eye hoe head will make a huge difference in your life down the road. At the very least you could hide these tools someplace underground and return for them when things settle down.

If I was limited in my carry my choice would be either a Kukri with a tri-grind and a back grind or a Tom Brown style tracker knife. With either of these I can chop, slice, dice and skin. I can also use either of them as a draw knife and the Tracker knife has a saw back. Another great tool is the Victorinox Swiss Army Trekker. It is a bit larger than a regular army knife and has a locking blade, a saw and the can and bottle opener that I turned into a wood chisel with an awl and phillips on the back side. That along with either the Tracker or the Kukri will cover most all of your cutting needs.

6. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I would like to talk to someone who has taken down a descent size tree with a wiresaw. I have never met someone. I've played with the concept myself, but it was horrible. I mostly read about the usability online, wich is the same place I read about bonzai kittens.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Wire saws won't do it but those chainsaw chain type will and aren't very heavy. I have a saw in a can and it makes short work of pine trees up to about 9 to 10 inches.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i use a folding saw for cutting saplings and small branches, for larger stuff I use a general purpose saw, I think wire saws are just a gimmick and I haven't used a chainsaw since I had an accident with one in the mid 70s.