Urban Survival Lessons From Urban Sar Teams

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Pragmatist, Feb 18, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.wlbt.com/2020/02/17/mis...ists-people-impacted-by-pearl-river-flooding/

Good morning all,

I'm placing above article here less as mews - although it surely is current news - and more so for a lesson/theme to address in re Urban survival.

Article mentions the Miss Urban SAR teams doing "reconning".

FEMA, the state agencies and the rest tell of citizen prep to include area maps in case of evacuation.

Thus, if not a "Prepper fanatic" and also having topo maps besides the easier to get road maps;

Consider doing some personal recon and annotate a road map with places that routinely flood and could later flood. Adjust evac route(s) accordingly.

My environment is somewhat easy to plot. The entire place, less the artificial zones created, is a tidal flood plain. Fortunately for me, I'm in my BOP and it's on a hill. Unfortunately for me, uninvited guests of all varieties, also like dry locations. Fortunately for me, we also use the additional Fed and state suggestions. Our place is secure and with a situational awareness program.

Prep, prep, prep
    and
    factor in safety

howler, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I can well attest to the fact you don't know how bad it will get. We never expected to get stranded, but we did, albeit, for a short time. Water came much higher than expected. A level no one had ever seen, and exceeded the 500 year flood stage.

I would also caution you have no idea of how fast things can go from normal to TEOTWAWKI. They can go completely upside down in a heartbeat. You can't be prepared enough.

NoExcuses and TMT Tactical like this.