What about hunting with a slingshot?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Jeffrey Lazario, Jan 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Jeffrey Lazario

Jeffrey Lazario Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    I asked earlier if anyone hunted with a primitive bow, but I was wondering if anyone hunts with a slingshot? That would be impressive.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most british schoolboys have had one of these(we call them catapults) ok for small animals and birds.

3. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    I hunted some with a sling shot/pocket rocket as a kid. As an adult I find Broken power bands to be more than a nuisance. Slings take more skill to use, but are much easer to make in the feild and don't suffer fallers neir as often.
    If one has doubts about the effectiveness of slings, remember the Romans developed sugical instraments for removing sling glands (lead bullets) from the bodies of the injured.
    Don't use the "David" swing, twirling over your head gives you more range, and if 50 of your budies are attempting to rain stones into a group standing in the next intersection, this works very well. But for hunting a overhand swing is best. With your arm down beside your leg, you drop the stone (in the pouch) and swing your arm back and over. I basically point my finger at the target.
    Egg shaped stones are the best, for consistent shot one can form "stones" from redi-mix, or buy the large slip weights from a fishing out fit.
    I started out using golf balls. They are not the same but it allows you to build the basic skills with a relitivly safe projectile (like using a BB gun to practice your basic is before using a rifle)

4. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    There was a guy on YouTube who was using a slingshot kind of device to shoot arrows. He got to be pretty good at it.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Could work but too many other better choices for quiet hunts to have no noise a pellett rifle better mine has put many meals on table and is good for critters buy spring rifle not co2 spring works well and co2 may not be easy to get for long stay

6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I hunt with a bear recurve bow had since i was a kid

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    slingshot would be a good fall back weapon to have, better than having nothing.

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I use what im use to never messed with slingshot so my bow guns lol i never had a bb gun my first was a single shot 22 i still have and use it takes and uses any 22 round ever made it was used when i got it in the 50s was made. In 1925

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think hunting small game with a slingshot could be a cheap way of putting meat on the table in a SHTF environment, and quiet too.

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    As fun as a slingshot sounds if you are hunting in a PA environment it will be a time consuming dangerous task!
    A decent Bow would be the minimum to minimise time and effort expended for results gained!
    A suppressed .22LR would be an ideal weapon
    Short of a bow or rifle for hunting a few snares and a handy stick will be best for hunting!

ps the sling is an open area weapon and is next to useless in close wooded or urban areas!

Until recently I hunted often for the pot, I tried many and varied weapons over the decades
    there is nothing like a .22LR for making a hunt quick and bountiful!
    I have tried
    crossbows
    Longbows
    Compound bows
    Recurve bows
    Slings
    Slingshots
    Spears
    Rock throwing
    Knife throwing
    Ferrets
    Snares
    Shotguns
    Centrefire rifles
    Air rifles
    Boomerangs
    Hand grenades
    Smoking
    Netting
    Bolo's
    Dogs

Yet the humble .22LR of most any type in good condition reigns supreme!
    and subsonic ammo!

If game is seen within 100m and I have the .22LR I return with meat!

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if SHTF lasts a long time then I wonder how long the ammo will last, there has to be a finite amount out there, I know some people reload their cartridges but you still need the powder and whatever to do that, if one runs out of ammo then that rifle just becomes the most expensive club.
    at least with a bow I can make one and the arrows from natural materials when all the man made stuff has been used up.

12. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Having had a reasonable amount of dealings with keen bow hunters here are a few things I have learnt'
    Arrows break
    Arrows get lost
    Homemade arrows are inferior to factory made stuff
    Compound bows and homemade arrows should never meet!

Overall there is about a 90% reusability rate when hunting with arrows or if you like a 10% attrition rate!
    When you do the numbers that gives about 1,000 shots while hunting if you start with 100 arrows!
    Decent hunting arrows are around $12 each and you get about ten hunting shots before it is lost or damaged beyond repair
    that's about $1.20 per shot!

Just for comparison I am using .22LR ammo I bought way back in 1984 at $1.34 for a box of 50
    That's approx. 50 times cheaper!
    Admittidly ammo is no longer that price but $0.10 per round now it is still ten times cheaper than decent arrows

Still way cheaper per shot with a .22LR

Back in 1984 I bought enough .22LR ammo to last three lifetimes, I only buy the odd box of subsonics since then!
    I see no need to ever run out!:)

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    oh well suit yourself, i'm going the bow and crossbow route much quieter, i'm a sneaky bugger me!!!:p:D;):)