What Are The Best Tents For Long Term Camping?

Discussion in 'Tent, camper, RV, or other man made shelters.' started by branchd77, Oct 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    What are some suggestions for tents you can use for long-term camping? I'm wondering about tents that have ventilation and can withstand long winters, spending months at a time in these tents even in temperatures below freezing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I would be looking at a YURT or a TIPI , something one could have a fire or a stove in.
    For a permanent lifestyle change I would be interested in an Ancient British Roundhouse.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I hate living in a tent. And now that I'm so arthritic, just shoot me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Yurt and Teepee as Lonewolf mentioned are great almost permanent homes. About the only other tent that would work for a while is the old canvas type military cabin tents. You could put wood stoves in them and vent through duct flaps and they worked...but were cold as hell. Watch a few of the old MASH TV shows about the winters in those tents. In the south you can go pretty well in a just regular tent because basically all you need is something that will keep you dry and the bugs out. Any tent is a pretty miserable place to be for several days during torrential rains.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  5. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    In sweden, we have military tents of heavy canvas that somewhat resembles tipis with woodstoves. But up north of the polar cirkle, in the winters, snowhuts are the way to go in the winters.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    it gets more wet than cold in my area.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Either a fire proofed cotton or linen wall tent with a cook stove, or a tipi.
    47d7d841f12536a9101cb0fbbf40ff75.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A canvas wall tent or a teapee or yurt of good heavy waxed canvas. If nothing else get a heavy tarp off a tractor trailer would do. Now long term think what is goung o make this better a stove a floor a strong frame for support in all weather. What to use swing set pallets cable long spikes in the ground think people whatever you can find buy steal is yours to use after shtf

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  9. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    A wall tent with stove set right works well after set up a pallet floor gets you off ground next pallet walls keep working and soon have a cozy home that will keep you warm safe and secure why pallets they are uniform in size frames quick easy to insulate stuff stuff unside then cover with cardboard or sale signs politcal ad signs whatever you find use no wall tent get a tarp off a tractor trailer and start with basic shape and build to survive longterm you have to think use and work todo so

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A big heavy canvass tarp has a lot of uses. Build a low walled log cabin and throw it over it and you are set. Dig a hole and throw the tarp over it and you are covered. If it is cold rake up a big pile of leaves and cover it with the tarp and crawl in and you will be dry and warm. If you can find a cave or shallow hollow in the wall you can cover it with the tarp and have a good shelter. Just a thought...

12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My dad hauled gambling machines and pool tables (4' x 8', with 1" slate) in his truck. The truck had heavy steel rails, to include a rail that was the height of the truck's cab. A lot of my childhood memories involved tying down these heavy puppies. He always used manila rope (thick!) because it does not stretch very much at all under bearing weight (will shrink a tad if it gets wet). And we were always using heavy canvas tarpaulins. I can smell those oiled ropes and waxed tarps to this day.

https://www.mytarp.com/canvas-tarps...MItO2E-MGZ1wIVFgaGCh0DcAzYEAAYASAAEgIlGfD_BwE

Some folk oil these ropes with linseed oil, boiling the oil before applying/soaking. On sailing ships, tar was used and the tar was cut with a bit of turpentine. Better oils may be available in this day and age. I'd have to research this and I'd encourage others to research this topic.

I do NOT like the slickness of polyester rope, however I have several lengths of it that I keep in my car.

When dropping trees, I use 3/4" manila to attempt to better guide their fall -- watch out, else too much rope tension can cause the tree to kick off the stump with killer force to anything behind. These things will snap your leg like a twig; crush you like a bug. Cutting the wedge in the trunk is an art, but where that tree's weight is distributed is known to God. Thus, prayer is necessary before firing up your chainsaw.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Kara Robert

Kara Robert New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I own a 10-Person truck bed tent, purchased for traveling and car camping. It's a good tent for long term camp and easy to setup.

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The big problem with the yurts, teepees and heavy canvas wall tents is that they are HEAVY. There are not something that you can carry on your back. At the very least you will need a wagon or travois and either some form of draft animal of a pretty large group of people to take turns dragging it around.

We all know that the cars and trucks are not going to last for very long. The other thing is that anywhere that you can drive to that has the sort of surroundings that will be good will also attract others that can just as easily drive there.

I think that I would rather carry a smaller lighter tent and tarp and the tools that I could use to build a more substantial cabin. Basically give me an ax, an adz, a froe, a crosscut saw a few augers and a draw knife and I'll build a house.

I tend to think more along the lines of tools and making things than buying things that I can't replace. Unfortunately going native just won't work. in America the Native Americans built their Teepees out of hides from the huge herds of large animals that were fairly easy to find. These animals just don't exist in the kind of numbers that would allow you to make your teepee out of animal hides and making canvas isn't a likely thing until you have a much higher level of civilization.

What you will need is mostly dependent on where you will be. If you are looking at a cold long wet winter you will need a lot more than a tent.

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed Tex. Personally, if I was part of a group, I would suggest everyone carry an oil cloth. Put together you can make one or more wigwams. I will stick with my oil cloth, very versatile.
    Keith.
    81813db8cc71f649589389d7c5149f6a.jpeg

Radar likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Oilcloth will outlast any of the tarps made from modern materials. It is tough and will protect you in ways that lighter material just can't do. I agree with you that a group could carry the parts to make a better shelter than a tent. The military used to carry shelter halves so two soldiers had what it took to make one small tent for two.

We always camped under a big oilcloth tarpaulin with mosquito nets over our cots when I was a kid. It was all we needed in the spring fall and summer and most of the time in the winter here. Lots of times our winters are warmer than a lot of what other places have in late spring and early fall. I always love those camping trips because the temperature was just right for a nice fire without you having to sleep cold.

Sonofliberty and Keith H. like this.
  17. Willieach

Willieach New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I have done some research and I found the following tents fit for the long term:
    • Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2
    • Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2
    • Coleman Sundome 4
    • REI Kingdom 6
    • Kelty Salida 2
    If you want to read more about tents check: https://www.outdoorlifestyleexpert.com

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't like enclosed tents & don't recommend their use for long or short term survival in a SHTF situation, you can't see what is outside, & it takes too long to get outside if you have to move!
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and TexDanm like this.
  19. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    With a Hatchet(or ax) and a saw, it is better to build a shelter than carry one IMO. YMMV

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They also offer no protection from attack. You never see it coming and they can just wrap you up in your own tent. If possible I would prefer to dig in a little bit then put logs around with a tarp over the top. Over time it can be built up into a log cabin.

21. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    here is a sami lavuu I use at trap camp, it's 10 foot dia. I have it set up a little too steep in this photo, should have been a bit squattier.

I have to agree on a tent being to confining for a SHTF event. However in my area in winter time a enclosed shelter is a must after a few days in order dry clothes and bedding.

be4112dcb95c69c37a5acede6dbc131d.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Kodiak canvas tent are awesome.

TMT Tactical likes this.