What Did You Do Recently That Would Aid Your Survival?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Keith H., Aug 12, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What Did You Do Recently That Would Aid Your Survival?

We have just upgraded our solar electricity system on the main house to give us more power on overcast days. We have also connected solar electricity to our cottage.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    we planted apple peach walnut hickory pear trees started 2 more grape arbors and 6 blueberries bushes. working on feild for strawberries we have a good 2acres going but 2 more will produce more allso got 3 more hives of bees that gives us 11 hives now

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Not much at all, just fine tuning little things and still learning stuff!
    Just upgrading weapon slings at the moment, mainly for inter-operability!

I think in a survival situation every firearm needs a lanyard!
    In real shooting encounters lots of weapons get dropped and not retrieved!
    as a survivalist this is a no no! you must not loose your weapons!

Slings and lanyards ensure that letting go of your weapon is not the loss of your weapon!

joewhitecrow likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is more to survival post SHTF than firearms, that's just a small part of it.
    that's the trouble with American SHTF forums they seem to be fixated on firearms to the absence of anything else, just my feelings as a non American:D
    it can put a lot of preppers off.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I actually meant weapons of any sort and some tools!
    I also have lanyards for most of my working knives also!
    and most of my tools have lanyard holes at least!

Dropping a shifter when knee deep in mud is not much fun.
    Trimming tree branches 10m up is bad enough but dropping the loppers or handsaw really sucks.

6. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Security and weapons are the most important bit of survival!
    Without the ability to defend who and what you have you quickly end up with no one and nothing!
    A warehouse full of supplies is useless to you if it is not in your possession! same as your house and farm!

But seeing as you are English and only just out of peasantry/slavery if you are actually out of it, being owned by the guy/s with the gun/s
    should feel like the good old days!

The only rights you will have are the rights you can enforce!
    Free men are well armed men!

joewhitecrow likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all i'm saying is that all this talk of guns and weapons tends to put some preppers off and they either leave or don't join forums for that very reason.
    as for being ruled, if what Keith says you haven't got it so good in either Australia or America either, I think Hilary is going to bring in a big gun ban when she becomes Pres. and I do think its more of a case of when not if.
    we all know guns will be a necessary part of survival post SHTF- but some forums seen to be nothing but guns and it can get a bit wearysome.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Prairie Dog, MKprepper and Keith H. like this.
  8. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    We got it good in Australia, damn good!
    Not perfect by any means but good!

Keith has been out in the boonies way to long! awesome woodlore etc as that is his life but he has little idea on many subjects he spouts off on in my opinion!
    Australia is the lucky country !
    Many members who joined here were not preppers/survivalists at all not even beginners! Same problem at other forums!

Many are just trolls/troublemakers visiting, destroying then just leaving again!
    I have seen just one member join and pick fights with six others in there first ten posts then run up several hundred posts challenging others getting moderators
    involved then just vanishing for the most part!

We seem to seldom agree on things but we don't go off! no point!
    Ever been to Australia? great place!

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all i'm saying is it can put some people off joining forums, we all know guns will be a part of post SHTF life whether that is just for hunting or for protection also, but its not all of it, there is much more to survival than just guns, but people intent on joining forums might see only the gun posts and nothing else.
    no I haven't been to Australia, my cousin lives near Sydney.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    New solar battery arrived yesterday, will hopefully get it hooked up at the cottage today. Spent part of this morning digging out ditches & clearing pipes under our road. So much water out here the fish are roosting in the trees!
    Keith.

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Purchased another 4WD today, twin cab Toyota Hilux ute/truck/pick up in diesel with a hard canopy. We still need another one, but they did not have what we needed. I got them to fit a bull bar for the same price. We pick it up on Monday.
    Keith.

12. joewhitecrow

joewhitecrow Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    AS an AMERICAN, speaking only for myself. I do believe our Passion for firearms has been with us since the revolution. Our country is only 250 years old and we have had firearms in our homes [NOT EVERYONE] to me for better or worse it gives me a feeling of being able to control at least part of my life while the government takes away our freedoms piece by piece. Someday WE will be like austrailia and the EU and become servents to our government we are well on our way. Only thing stopping the gov is knowing there are 80 million gun owners in the USA. IF people feel safer without firearms then by all means dont own 1 but please dont try to take mine, I wont give them up easy.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not that firearms in the UK are illegal, its just the hassle of licencing and home visits, and you need a good reason to have a gun =just wanting one is not a good enough excuse.
    there are plenty of ways I can arm myself still even in Britain that don't involve a firearm, and quieter too.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  14. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Good truck keith ! Years of use with care please remember to have some good diesel fuel stashed as running on oil and kero and such they become hard to start !

Keith H. likes this.
  15. joewhitecrow

joewhitecrow Expert Member
      168/173

Blog Posts:
    JUST wanting a firearm here IS A GOOD ENOUGH REASON to have 1 or 10, Truly FREE people dont have to ask permission of their ???????? government DEFENSE of one,s self and family is something that we are all given by the creator when we are born. It,s not something anyone can take away unless you let them. Think I will be moving on. WATCH your TOP KNOT and keep your eye,s along the skyline. JOE WHITECROW & RAVEN

Keith H. likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    watch out for your guns when Hillary gets to be President.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The majority here in Australia Joe have allowed our corrupt government to take away our right to carry anything in a public place with which to defend ourselves or anyone else. That includes pepper sprays. We have no right to own a gun for self defence, & to use one for defence can land you in prison. If you have been shot first, then you can use a gun, but you are not allowed to have a gun in your possession when confronting anyone at your door or trespassing on your property. Our rights & freedoms have been taken away from us, & the majority that live in the cities have let the government do this. I could go on & on about what the government has done, is doing & plans to do, but it would serve no purpose here.
    Regards, Keith.

18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My wife picked up the new 4WD yesterday, it has to go back in tomorrow to have a bull bar fitted & over the next month it will have some more accessories fitted. Ours is the red Hilux, & you can see my youngest son's Triton in the background. My middle son wants to get a Volvo 4WD, as he has two Volvos, his sports saloon & he has my wagon that I gave him. My eldest son now has our X-Trail SUV. We still have the Russian Lada 4WD for property use, but plan to get another Hilux as well.
    I think the wading depth on the Triton is 500 mm, & on the Hilux it is 700 mm.
    Keith.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prairie Dog likes this.
  19. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Keith
    Good to see some decent 4WD's

I have the 80 series Landcruiser in petrol/lpg and slightly modified!

Prairie Dog likes this.
  20. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Bought two new firearms. One is a new Springfield Armory pistol. The other is a Rock River lower, for an upper I had laying around, so I will have a complete civilian legal M-4 type carbine. So now I have another AR caliber M-4 type carbine and another 9 mm pistol for covert use when needed.

I have also made plans to vote AGAINST Hillary Clinton.

Keith H. likes this.
  21. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Had a bull bar fitted for more safety, also good for pushing other vehicles out of the way.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

22. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Did you beef up the front springs for the bulbar ?

23. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    P
    planted some fruit trees, did some winter camping just cuz it helps keep me sharp and took my daughter with me. I am finding teaching her these skills does a great deal to keep them myself.

Keith H. likes this.
  24. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I agree completely. Protection and hunting are important, but many more will fail due to hypothermia, dehydration and panic than direct violence. Many skills will be needed, a lot of those skills are rare today. While I do own and practice with my firearms, it is my abilities in many other areas that have me nervous and trying to catch up through forums like this one.

Keith H. likes this.
  25. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I recently did a fast for 2 days. Learning to deal with not eat is healing, which can help one live longer, Also the self discipline of fasting will help to stretch the food supplies in cast of an emergency.

26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Is that a flintlock you have there Joe White Crow?
    Keith.

27. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Another solar power upgrade with a new bank of gel batteries for the main house. Also we have started work on the foundations for the new laundry & started on the free range chook yard.
    Keith.

The laundry will be just behind the power shed so it will be easy to hook up.
    w5Q_Awji21QP0cBZ7GGcYkXlXiJIH39p.jpeg
    New bank of gel batteries replacing the old lead acid batteries.
    Keith.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  28. Tammie Griffin

Tammie Griffin New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    My husband and I have been planting more fruit trees and berry plants. We have pear, apples, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherry,Peach,thornless blackberries and fig.Pecan trees that produce well every other year.I have a large assortment of herbs .We always have a garden and enjoy canning and dehydrating our produce.I have also started using mylar and 02 absorbers to store dry goods for the future

Keith H. likes this.
  29. John Davis

John Davis Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I have been Stocking up Food :)

Keith H. likes this.
  30. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Laundry in place with an outside sink for washing vegies. This is connected to a new 5000 gallon water tank which also supplies water to our cottage up the hill.
    6e9ed9d82060e33235f3c1bae17d91c4.jpeg
    6e9ed9d82060e33235f3c1bae17d91c4.jpeg

31. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bought me a beater truck. It's full-size, has small V8 that's known for LONG life, 4x4, steal rails around the bed, long bed w/ tool crib, robust rails means that I can throw a tarp over the top of the bed. Also has bulldog low-range 4x4. In a bug-out scenario where I'd have to use Forestry Service roads to get around major traffic corridors, no problem. Lord only knows how many thousands of miles I've driven on roads where you shouldn't / couldn't take a car or regular truck. This beater has high ground clearance. Ground clearance is more important than 4x4 if you have the right tires and weight in the bed.

Have multiple 5-gal fuel tanks to fill if journey should be long. Gonna fill them this week and put fuel preservative in them.

Another thing is that driving this beaten-up old truck will portray me as what I actually am, who my people were, i.e. working class. Having a nice car and a NON-Southern-Appalachian accent can get you unwelcome attention in my stomping grounds. Let's face it, post-SHTF, non-locals ain't gonna be welcome. I don't have a pronounced accent, but sure can on a moment's notice speak just like my family/ancestors who are now with the Lord. I know how to behave and be humble, honestly humble. Without humility, the human soul cannot grow, cannot become more, be acceptable to the Creator (the Creator of Universes, not the cartoon god as perceived by people who take Scriptures literally; all religious teachings are metaphors to the Greater Reality).

I'll never bug-out to an area that is outside of my own culture. You will NEVER be accepted outside of your own culture when times go bad. Insane to believe otherwise. And with my culture, everyone is armed -- more firearms than human. Too, more farm animals than people. ;););):D:D:D:D:D:D Pasture land, mountain forests, and critters everywhere. On Forestry roads, there's bears back in there, but they mind their own business -- never been afraid back in there. What to be afraid of = hornet & wasp nests, brain-damaged humans, and the very occasional rattlesnake. Copperheads usually don't kill adults -- their poison WILL kill little children -- an adult will get so sick you might wish for death, but you'll likely not die. Timber rattlers and moccasins -- they can do you down.

And this beater truck has large tubular rails. Since childhood I've had to tie-off heavy items with half-inch to 3/4" manila rope (oiled/tarred rope). I have several tarps -- something else I've worked with for over 55 years. Homey knows the ropes ... literally so. This beats an SUV hands-down. Gun racks in trucks are omnipresent. Got an unloaded rifle with its action open in a gun rack -- this draws no attention. Always have a hunting license you. Shows you hunt AND more importantly, you will be supporting game management and biologic studies/research. We must tend Mother Nature's creation and never abuse it.

Likely will need a bunch of work and better tires, but I only paid a bit over US $5 K for it. I intentionally left room for repairs. This GM engine block often gets over 300,000 miles if routine maintenance is followed. The xmission has already been rebuilt and the frame's weak points have been re-welded with new steel. If more required, crippled son knows how to weld, plus I know a very experienced welder. The most important thing is that the engine block is a known performer. Serpentine belt is new. If the engine needs new seals, then I'll just get that done. One ball joint will have to be repaired. Hell, when the surgeon repaired my one of my shoulders (both have been rebuilt), he had to grind-off arthritic bone growths and reattach my one biceps muscle. Due to decades of work, my shoulders blew apart. All mechanical things wear-out, but often can be fixed. Even when working with quarter-million dollar high tech equip, still I had lifting to do. Earth has this "gravity" thing going on. I guess many of you have heard about gravity. Sir Isaac Fig Newton wrote about gravity. It's gravely important and a pain ... literally a pain if it gets a good hold on you and slams you down.
    ---------------------

Gonna put back ramen noodles and tins of meat and broth. Never done this yet; however, eldest son likes it, so stock rotation will be no problem. Noodles aren't expensive. Long shelf-life these things (meat in broth = >2yr). Sehr gut!

Red cabbage jars and jars = great for your gut. I love German food. Genetic?

----------------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.