What Gun Is The Easiest To Obtain?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Keith H., Jun 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What is the easiest type of gun that you can obtain where you live ( long gun & handgun), modern or antique?
    Keith.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Any walk in buy it background check takes few mins

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Visit old friend
    get given two .22LR rifles free!

4. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Australia.
    I really have no idea, as it's something I've never looked into.
    Probably something to do with hunting though.

I've never even really considered getting a shooters license though.

Ron88 likes this.
  5. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    The easiest gun to get in the UK is a legal limit air rifle ( limited to 12 ft/lbs muzzle energy) which is perfectly capable of killing a rabbit with a head shot out to 60 yds. It is not too difficult to get a licence for a
    shotgun (shotgun certificate) but it is quite difficult to get a licence for a cartridge rifle (firearm certificate). Handguns/pistols are totaly banned in the UK.

Ron88 and Keith H. like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are 10,800 registered shotguns in Devon and Cornwall(population 1.65 million).

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Walk across the room and decide which and what kind I want. I actually am not sure exactly how many firearms I own at this time. I have guns in every room in my house except the bathrooms.

Ron88 likes this.
  8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    How about antique firearms Bushdoctor, how are they treated?
    Keith.

9. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    In South Africa obtaining a firearm works like this:

Firstly you must attain firearm competence. In order to do that you must pass both a theoretical and practical test in each of the classes that you wish to own a firearm in.

The classes are:
    Handguns: Any semi auto pistol or revolver.
    Shotgun: Semi auto, pump, over and under, side by side and lever action shotgun are all legal.
    Self loading rifles: These would be your hunting rifles or any other bolt action type rifles.
    Carbine: Only semi auto rifles are permitted. Things like a 10-22 also fall into this category.

Once you pass you must take your results to the police station and apply for a competency certificate from a CFO(Certified Firearms Officer). These take anywhere from a month to 3 months to process.

Once you have your competency you may now purchase a firearm.

After filling in a huge amount of paperwork for your license (these include the make of the firearm, personal details, a motivation as to why you should have this particular firearm and provide credible references) it is processed. It can take as little as 2 months but I have heard horror stories of guys waiting for nearly a year.

At some point in the process they contact your references and come to your house to inspect your gunsafe. If you pass the background check, you will be notified that it has been approved.

Then you have to wait for the card to be printed in the capital, which can also take about 2 months. Once it arrives at your local police station you can collect it and then finally pick up your firearm.

TMT Tactical, Ron88 and Keith H. like this.
  10. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Antique and 0bsolete firearms for which ammunition is no longer available can be owned in the UK without a licence for collection and display purposes only but if you wish to use them you would need to
    get the appropriate shotgun or firearm certificate.

Keith H. and Mekada like this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    SOooo, you could in fact obtain one of these guns,rifles,pistols & hang on to it until tshtf, then you could use it. It is exactly the same here Bushdoctor.
    Keith.

12. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    In Canada we have 2 types of licence
    1. non-restricted which is any rifle or shotgun that is not automatic with a few "scary looking" rifles added in there too
    2. restricted which is all handguns and "scary looking"rifles (like an AR-15)
    non restriced is the easiest to obtain which consists of a 1-2 day course and a background check
    non-restricted firearms are no longer registered meaning that the government does not track them meaning that they can not know for sure how many you have.
    restricted firearms are registered and have a ton of loopholes that you have to go through in order to stay legal

13. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Good to know... I hope to one day move to Canada and its good to know that I can have a pump action shotgun without too much of a hassle. The handgun thing though is problematic. I do know that people are limited to 10 rounds in a magazine there.

14. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:

Hand guns are limited to 10 rounds because the government thinks that if it can carry more than that the gun is capable of doing way more damage ... or you could carry an extra magazine. the laws are, like everywhere else written by people who do not know what they are talking about that is why things like semi auto AK-47 are restricted, not because they are more dangerous than any other semi auto rifle but because they are "Bad Guy Guns" and "Look Scary"

Hand guns are limited to 10 rounds / magazine and rifles are limited as well. all rifle magazines that are designed to carry more than the allowed number of rounds are sold with pins in them that stop you from putting more rounds in them. if you really want they are easy to remove however the magazines are then illegal and if you are caught with them it will not be a good day.

Another thing about a restricted firearms licence that I did not mention is that the law states that if you have one police can come to your property without warrant and search it. I have not heard of this ever happening but they still could. you also need to get a permit to transport a restricted firearm meaning that every time you want to go to the range you have to pay for a permit to take it there. Now i believe you can get a general permit that says you are allowed to carry to and from the range for x number of days so you do not have to get a permit every time but it is very annoying.

you also can not carry any restricted firearms on your property they must remain locked up.

I am getting my non restricted. it would be nice to be able to have handguns but it is just not worth it with all of the rules associated with it

15. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Wow that is rather troublesome. Could be worse though. Australia's gun laws are the absolute worst. Over here we have 3 categories:
    Self defense : these are generally handguns and most of the our people tend to purchase it. You are not allowed to have owb holster showing your firearm. If it's covered then it fine as concealed carry is the law here. I understand why they did it this way. People here are targeted for their firearms and killed.
    Sport shooting guns: for competition or range plinking. People here put things like ak 47's or 22lr's on this one. The little 22 rifle is much harder to get than the ak 47 ironically, due to poaching. Most people with a shotgun put it on this license. You can use them for self defense but you will have to provide a very good reason. They must generally be kept in a safe.
    Hunting license: pretty much the same but it just pertains to hunting. Most of these are bolt rifles.

Keith H. likes this.
  16. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Regular, Title I firearms are a piece of cake. Title I is regular rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The rifles must have a barrel length longer than 16" and an overall length of 26" to be Title I. The shotguns a barrel length longer than 18" and an overall length of 26" to be Title I. Pistols can have any length barrel, but no shoulder stock. In most states, you just pick out the gun, they run a background check, and you complete a Form 4473. Generally done and out the door in less time than most pizza deliveries.

Title II firearms, which include machine-guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns, destructive devices (e.g., grenades, rocket launchers, etc.), and AOWs (an oddball category included disguise guns) are harder. They involve either a Form 1 (making a new one) or Form 4 (transferring an existing one), a tax ($200 for most, $5 for AOWs), fingerprints, photographs, a background check, and a long wait (6-12 months). And the state one is in must allow the item. Most do, but some don't. Also, you can't make new machine-guns, so existing ones are mondo expensive.

Muzzleloaders are not "firearms" federally, so it is just cash and carry in most states.

Flamethrowers, somewhat bizarrely, are completely unregulated at the federal level, though two states (CA and MA) regulate them.

17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Me, I figure one registered firearm for every ten or fifteen. How about that estimate? What would be your estimate?

There are millions upon tens or millions of black market weapons available in continental Europe. Felons, of course, get first dibs. When the Soviets fell, here in America, one could buy ANYTHING Soviet / East German: clocks, socks, rifles, ammo, any manner of military clothing/coats, boots, ... purchases of UAZ-649 vehicles eventually flopped and what a shame that was. Those Russian versions of our Jeep, would drink anything, not unlike the soldiers who drove them. They had a engine crank handle (watch your thumb!). Crude = it will run / it can be fixed.

18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
  19. LilSoldierGirl

LilSoldierGirl Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    I disagree. In Australia you can legally own handguns if you join a club. In some states it is legal to use the handgun inside a chassis kit, effectively turning it into a carbine. In most states you can only use a handgun for target shooging at an approved range.

All long guns except semi auto rifles and semi/pump action shotguns are freely available if you have a licence, which is available to practically anyone with no serious criminal record.

In many states even .50 cal sniper rifles are freely available.

If you are willing to jump through the required hoops you can still legally own semi automatic and fully automatic firearms here in Australia.

Now what were you saying about our gun laws being the worst?

Mekada likes this.
  20. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have not heard of this one "In some states it is legal to use the handgun inside a chassis kit, effectively turning it into a carbine". Which state/s?
    Keith.

21. LilSoldierGirl

LilSoldierGirl Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    QLD is one. Perhaps Victoria as well. Did you know that high capacity pistol magazines can be legally purchased without any licence in Victoria?

Mekada and Keith H. like this.
  22. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Here in the states anyone can go and I do mean anyone can go to a flea market and buy any type of gun they want most with no back ground check but that gun could also be stolen also a lot of gun shows sell guns with no back ground check personal I will not buy a gun from anyone that will not do a background check I have a concealed weapons license and I can go into any gun shop and buy any rifle or handgun after doing the paperwork and they call the feds after that I can walk out with either rifle

Mekada likes this.
  23. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    No I did not know that, but then again pistols, including matchlocks, wheellocks & flintlocks are only available on an H class licence in NSW & can only be used on a pistol club range.
    Keith.

Mekada likes this.
  24. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    Even in comparison to South African gun laws which are very stringent, yours is bad. We can have all of those you mentioned if you can motivate it without belonging to a club or organization. I am glad to see that the gun culture is alive and well in Australia though... i thought they had disarmed you all.

25. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    In the US if you live in a free state you are only limited by how much money you have to spend.

Mekada likes this.
  26. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    I envy you for having that. I have been trying to get my Shotgun for months.

27. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think it's th AK's. It's like all over the world. So it's obvious anyone can have it.

28. Billy02

Billy02 Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    air gun hahaha

29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nothing wrong with an air gun, an air rifle is good for most small game.

30. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I own two air rifles...as much as I reload my own ammo...I have two .22 caliber air rifles. One a break action and the other a pump action.

One of my .22 caliber air rifles....you can change out the barrel and make it a .177 air rifle.

My friend to whom I often talk via ham radio out in the State of Tennessee....has .22 air rifles and even an air rifle in .45 caliber....which has a 3000 psi air tank on it.

Both of us have plenty of gun powder firearms..but still believe in keeping around an air rifle.

Do not discount an air rifle in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Air rifle ammo around here is plentiful and not regulated. You an buy as much as you like or can afford. Nor are the air rifles regulated.

And air rifles are often much more quiet than gunpowder propelled tools.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was brought upon air rifles and had at least one, sometimes more, most of my life.

32. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Walmart sells guns here as so Academy and any other sort of store that sells sporting goods. Some of the Grocery stores and even some of the convenience stores sell ammo. Guns are just are part of our live here. I know more people that go out and shoot with their friends than people that bowl.

33. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    As LW says, air guns are common in the UK, shot guns are also much more common then most people think but the shotgun certificate restricts the number of rounds a shotgun can hold whereas shotguns listed on a firearm licence can have full size magazines holding more than 2 shells. You must also hold an FAC if you wish to fire shotgun shells holding less than 5 shot. In the UK there are various classes of firearm but rimfire in .22LR and .177HMR are the most common being the easiest to get and are often a starting point for those wanting to gain firearms licences for larger centre fire calibers. For each caliber you must be able to show a firearms liaison officer (from your local police force) that you have reasonable cause to own one eg. Pest control or hunting, target shooting etc. You must also be able to show that you have secure storage for your firearms.
    The licence has each caliber that you're allowed to own listed along with a log of ammunition purchased. I'm currently only licensed to have rimfire and .223 in my possession though I would have little difficulty getting a variation for anything up to .308
    You don't have to do any of the detailed paperwork for a shotgun certificate, you just must have no history of mental illness, no criminal record, have the ability to fill in a simple form and pay the licence fee.

34. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    In Arizona...a free state, in a supposedly free country....other than NFA items (which you can still get legally and I have my share of)...you can get any damned thing you want that you can afford. There is no "registration" with the state, though in dealer sales you still have to fill out the federal 4473 form, but in private sales there is no paperwork and no "permit to purchase" or other such nonsense needed.

Screw you snowflakes (speaking editorially).

35. Ron88

Ron88 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi Keith. This is my experience.
    In South Africa i purchased a handgun for self defense, from the time i started the process until i actually had the firearm in my hands took just over 24 months. I have a clean record and no prior offenses. Our system is plagued with incompetence and corruption.

I then became a dedicated sport shooter and purchased a rifle for sport shooting purposes. I am currently waiting 5 months now.
    Moral of the story... In south Africa... any firearm you can get is a good one to have.

P.S. I chose 9mm and .308 for relative cheap ammo prices and availability.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  36. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    It is sad the once most beautiful nation in Africa has gone the way it has. I was there in 1992. I doubt I would recognize it now.

Ron88 likes this.
  37. Ron88

Ron88 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I have travelled Africa quite a bit i have experienced many different cultures countries and religions, SA is by far the best on the african continent, the only issue is that the population seem to have an attitude of entitlement. They expect everything for nothing, this becomes problematic as the “ local “ cultures are naturally quite aggressive in general. When you mix this with no education and the government bs propaganda being fed to them it creates quite a lot of uncertainty to ones future here.

Ken S LaTrans likes this.
  38. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    @Ron88

One of my closest friends, Ian, is from SA. He emigrated here to the states when he saw the writing on the wall when the terrorist leader Mandela was going to be released from prison. South Africans in the US make some of the best Americans I have ever met.

Ron88 likes this.
  39. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    I'd like someone to name on single nation on the continent that didn't turn into a cesspool after a return to "native rule".

Ron88 likes this.
  40. Ron88

Ron88 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Ken if it was not so expensive to move there i would pack up my family and be there in a heartbeat. I have an uncle that has been there over 10years now.

41. Ron88

Ron88 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Ken if it was not so expensive to move there i would pack up my family and be there in a heartbeat. I have an uncle that has been there over 10years now.

42. Ron88

Ron88 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Thats a good point. I cant think of one!!

43. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    France 1945

44. Kevin L.

Kevin L. New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    In the U.S. (especially Florida), guns are readily available anywhere.

If you're interested in owning a gun but face an awkward political environment, there are legal loopholes that may be useful.

My favorite has to do with black powder.

It is perfectly legal to buy certian black powder single-action (cowboy style) revolvers.

Now, here's the interesting part: you can buy a conversion cylinder for a modest price, and convert your black powder revolver into a cartridge revolver in about five minutes

Such revolvers should only be loaded with "cowboy loads", which are rounds that are slightly weaker than the standard loads.

This may seem like a fault, but it really isn't. A .44 Special cowboy load fires a 260 grain bullet around 750 to 800 feet per second, which puts it in the same neighborhood as a .45 ACP (230 grain bullet at 850 feet per second), or even a little more powerful.

People will (correctly) point out that this gun only has six shots, is very complicated and time-consuming to reload, and single action revolvers are, theoretically, slower to shoot than modern revolvers.

My only answer is that it's not a Glock, or intended to be one. Most self defense shootings are over in less than six rounds (something like 95%), and practice with a single action revolver will make one proficient to the degree that this seeming disadvantage really isn't one.

I tend to think of this kind of revolver as a sterile, emergency gun like the one-shot .45 ACP Liberator pistol (not much more than a cheap, homemade zip gun), which was supposed to be used by guerrillas to basically assassinate an enemy soldier in order to capture his rifle and other gear.

Cabela's has such revolvers for $269.00, and I remember seeing conversion cylinders for about $160.00.

If one follows these suggestions, there is no paperwork, no background check, and no red tape.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  45. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There was a phase in the UK where these navy Colt replicas could be bought from on the continent. They were good enough replicas to get through customs as being of historical interest. The police and customs are now wise to this scam for getting live firearms into the UK.
    Flintlock pistols may be owned without a licence and do not have any specific storage requirements but cannot be legally used or held in conjunction with powder and shot unless you are a member of a black powder re-enactment society or historical society. To use one you will need a firearm certificate.
    In the UK shotguns are by far the easiest powder burners while many avoid licensing altogether by only keeping an air rifle for small game or pest control.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. Kevin L.

Kevin L. New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the U.S., not the U.K., so some questions suggest themselves.

Are powerful crossbows legal in the U.K.?

Also, there are ways to construct quality firearms from scratch if one has a minimum of machining experience, and access to grinders, lathes, and drills. The WWII British STEN gun (a 9mm submachine gun) comes to mind.

Are machine shops heavily regulated?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  47. Hick Industries

Hick Industries Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    The easiest gun to obtain in my area is a used gun. The easiest handgun to obtain is a police trade in pistol. Typically a Sig, Glock, or SW chambered in 9mm or 40 cal.

When the cops get new guns, their old guns are returned to the manufacture, where it is inspected, repaired, and resold.

I bought a Sig 229 in 40 Cal last year, with new springs, and a new barrel for about 1/2 retail.

Here in Oklahoma, buying a used rifle is cash and carry. Buying a handgun requires a 5 minute background check, and I no longer need a permit to carry it consealed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Here in Central Florida, the easiest gun to acquire is the one you can afford. You can easily get what you want as long as you are over 21.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Provided you pass the background check I believe all guns here are cash and carry. There is no waiting period for hand guns, long, guns, shotguns, black powder. One type is not any easier than another to obtain. I have never had to wait for any gun I purchased.

TMT Tactical likes this.