What is evryone's best water filter?

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Larry, Jan 17, 2016.

What is evryone's best water filter? 4 5 1votes
4/5, 1 vote

1. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Another filter that I have used and like is the Zero Water. At under 50 gallons per filter it tends to get expensive but still cheaper than buying bottled water and excellent water.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I decided with the collapse of society almost a sure thing in the very near future to upgrade my water filter system from a simple filter pitcher to something larger . I just bought a 6 gallon , 8 stage gravity feed water filter system . My focus is not a light bug out system as I am already bugged in but a system to filter water from my mountain spring . Running the water through a sieve , boiling it and then putting it through the 8 stage filter system is my present plan . It would be easier to just add some chemical to kill bacteria but I don't like putting unnecessary chemicals in my body .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish that they weren't so expensive, but the Swiss Katadyn uses ceramic micron-level filtration, plus it uses silver in its manufacture to defeat lingering bacteria and fungi.

I've got Sawyer filters, keep one in my SUV; they're just fine. If you want to go with something that has a 20-year warranty and is literally silver lined, then there's Katadyn. Katadyn out of Switzerland makes water purifiers for locations around the world where I would NEVER want to set foot.

There are groupings of Katadyn water filtration units; the range is super wide; they range from personal use, military use, all the way up to small community sized units. Major relief agencies and military units use this Swiss product. The products can be expensive but they are proven life-savers for masses of people around the world.

http://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/brands/Katadyn~b4906/overview/listing?solutionCategories[]=5708

http://www.katadyngroup.com/us/en/2010000-katadyn-pocket-water-filter~p6695
    Katadyn Pocket Water Filter

upload_2021-1-22_23-38-40.png

Larger Katadyn unit:

https://readymaderesources.com/product/katadyn-expedition-free-shipping/

Katadyn Expedition KFT

"Katadyn water filters are used by NATO, the U.S. military, international militaries, and by relief agencies like the Red Cross which utilize Katadyn filters in emergency situations where clean water is scarce."

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Even the "cheap" Katadyn water filters are not cheap.

This unit uses both a ceramic filter and activated charcoal. The ceramic part filters down to sub-micron level (trapping even viruses) and the carbon filter improves the taste of the water.

https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Tech...ds=katadyn+water+filter&qid=1611377573&sr=8-5

You can select between two filters depending on the condition of the water being filtered. "A simple turn engages a ceramic pre-filter for long life in dirty water or a pleated glass fiber filter in normal conditions."

Katadyn provides a curved brush for cleaning the cylindrical ceramic filter. My Katadyn is decades old (back then it was "only" $150, but back then that was a chunk of change) and I still have its curved brush. Scrub'a'dub'dub. Only used it on creek water, therefore I have NOT put it through its paces on truly dangerous water sources. Too, creek water doesn't taste bad in the first place. If using this on mud-hole water, I'd use a carbon filter after the ceramic filter to improve taste. The Katadyn unit above has both micro filtration plus carbon in one unit. Toss in powdered drink straws. Individual packs are now available; these are metallic plastic rip-open units.

upload_2021-1-23_0-12-45.png upload_2021-1-23_0-15-1.png

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I like probably most on here have a small water filter system for a day or two in a remote area . With the economic and society collapse now moving people into deplorable living conditions some may want to think about base camp and the water situation there . There might be a group forming around the more preppared , all needing water . My reputation amongst those that actually know me have presented me with the the problem of those I know but do not consider a part of my survival group wanting to be part of our group . They I will leave to their own demise . The point being though , in the catastropic living conditions being brought upon the planet , just thinking about yourself and one or two other individuals may be inadequate . A large water purifacation system may be in order .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I have used all types of water filters, I use a ceramic water filter up north and it is very good .
    I did send the company an email asking if they destroyed blue green algedy. they did write back and they said NO. so i use filtered water and then i boil it .

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Recently, the Aussies "invented" an improved R.O. seawater distillery that's small and portable. That is, you can carry it home with you after parking the boat.

It should / might be here: rainmandesal.com

Yes, it needs electricity. The good news is that there are new electric generator windmills for boats nowadays. Just ...

bring $$$$$$.

"Water, water everywhere........" Rhyme of the ancient Prepper

Foot Note: The Aussies also "invented" something that improves upon reverse osmosis. Stopped keeping up with this stuff. Our next batch of Preppers will have it easy when seawater and solar power can be dealt with in a single application. They, too, will have to just ...

bring Federal Reserve Notes ... or the residue gold from the seawater.

TMT Tactical likes this.