What to Do

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by SurvivalNerd, Apr 28, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SurvivalNerd

SurvivalNerd Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    If you live in an area that is prone to earthquakes, then the best advice is for you is to move. If moving is not in your future or something you want to consider doing then you need to learn basic safety precautions and warning signs to watch out for. Surviving an earthquake is possible but will require two things. A little bit of luck and a whole lot of preparation. Being unprepared during an earthquake is extremely dangerous and could end up costing you your life.
    [​IMG]

Knowing where to go and where not to go during a time of natural catastrophes such as this is something only a prepared individual will know. Staying vigilant of your surroundings and understanding the basics about building structures will help you to survive during an earthquake. If you can remain calm cool and collective during an earthquake, you will set examples for others that may be nearby watching you. Not only will you survive an earthquake this way you will help others to survive one as well

2. hippyzomby

hippyzomby New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in a town in West Texas and this was something of unheard of. I dont know if this is related but when they started fracking close by we started having little earthquakes here and there. One night we had a good sized one in a town close by. It was crazy to see people panic even though it was a little one people still lost it.
    My family is strange we didnt panic we just let it pass and then went outside. It was something new to all of us but it is nature just like a tornado, there is nothing you can do but accept it came it shook things up and passed. I dont know how to act in a bigger one but I know staying inside and in a door frame is important.

3. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I was surprised to learn a few years ago that we even have earthquakes here in Oklahoma--in the middle of the continent! I'm used to hearing warnings about tornadoes, but now earthquakes? I just hope we don't start having tsunami's here, too. I really would consider moving someplace tropical. Like LA.

4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Oh, wow! You make the second other Okie I've seen on these forums! I was super surprised to find one... Now two! How awesome!

Remember when we first started having quakes and people got so excited? Like, that was all we could talk about! Strangers asking "did you feel that earthquake earlier?!" Now there just huge nuisance and an excuse for insurance companies to rip us off.

5. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It is easier said than done though. I easily panic, that's for sure. We have never had any major earthquakes in my time in Jamaica but we have had tremors. The last one I felt was really heavy and almost everything in the house started shaking. I knew I was to stand in the doorway but instead I was running. When I get scared I just panic and go in a craze.

6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I live in an area that may not have frequent earthquakes, but we do experience earthquakes from time to time. They say that we are due for a "big quake" in California within the next few years. It's as simple as waiting for it to happen. Personally, I don't know what I'd do in this situation. Moving is out of the question for me, so I might start looking into the forums for advice on how to handle an earthquake situation. My first instinct is to run outside and get away from my house, in fear that it might collapse. I've been told that this is not a good idea, but I don't necessarily know why. Remaining calm is definitely something I could work on in a situation like this. I can barely keep my cool during a small earthquake. We actually just experienced an earthquake a few nights ago and I panicked.

7. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If you panic, it will be difficult for you to plan of what you should do next. If you are living at the coast then you have to move to higher grounds as quickly as possible. You should not try to collect any valuables. Make sure that you wake any family member that might be sleeping and ask them to move out quickly.

8. Aleksi

Aleksi New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    If you are awake and indoors during a large earthquake I recommend if you're in a wooden house you should stay in a doorway because it is one of the most sturdy places in the house. However, if you are in a brick house for some reason you should get under a table because a table is also very sturdy but it can break and that's the same really with a wooden house. I hope this was useful for anyone.

9. Birla Andrei Marian

Birla Andrei Marian New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    During an earthquake the earth will not crack in two and will not swallow people and houses. Buildings do not crash simply. But you may be injured by broken glass, objects that overturn or are thrown around the powerful movements of the earth. Gas pipes may crack and fire may occur. The power cables that are on the poles may break and the water pipes may break.

Replicas are smaller earthquakes that occur when the tectonic plates re-enter a new position. Replies can take place from time to time, after the initial shock. With the passage of time they are becoming weaker.

Although earth movements are the major source of earthquake damage, side effects such as landslides, floods can also cause loss of human lives and material damage.

Earthquake Prepare

No one can predict or prevent an earthquake. When an earthquake occurs, you must be prepared to act immediately.

Preparing for an earthquake takes time and effort. You have to prepare for yourself and your family to:
    - avoid injuries and help others
    - minimize the effect of the earthquake on your home
    - Survive at least 72 hours after an earthquake in the home or work without the help of emergency teams

What to do before an earthquake:
    - prepare an emergency plan for your family and home
    - if you live alone prepare an emergency plan for you to consider your friends and neighbors
    - Learn medical first aid, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation
    - Find out which are the safest places in your home in the event of an earthquake and practice your refuge in those areas

Secure places: under heavy tables or desks; On the hallways; In the corner of the rooms; Next to the resistance pillar.

Dangerous places: near windows or mirrors; Next to heavy objects that might fall; kitchen; Doors, where shock can cause the door to hit you.

Chances of survival are greater if you make such a plan with your family. Start discussing why it might happen and what to do at home, at school or at work in the event of an earthquake. Prepare a list of what you need to do to prepare for an emergency.

Prepare your house: go home and imagine what might happen in the event of a violent earthquake.

- Teach family members how to close water mains and how to stop electricity.
    - Place labels showing Open / Closed positions, On / Off on water, gas, main power switches.
    - Anchor the boilers and any other appliances that could break gas or water pipes by falling or moving.
    - Anchor heavy furniture pieces
    - Do not hang paintings or heavy mirrors above the beds.

Make your home or apartment for possible earthquake damage.

Prepare an emergency kit

Pack emergency delivery listed below into plastic bags or plastic boxes and place them in secure places in the house: in the closet, under a staircase. It has to be easy to carry, you can take it with you.

Prepare an emergency package in the car if you have to evacuate your home and you will not be able to return.

These supplies must be sufficient for your survival for 3 days.

Water is essential for survival. Store at least 4 liters of water per person per day. The best is bottled water in small plastic bottles. Put them in a cool place in the dark. Write down the purchase date label. Replace water supplies every 6 months. If you have pets prepared for them (about 30 milliliters of water / kg / day).

If after the earthquake you have access to water from other sources, boil water for at least 10 minutes and then after cooling you can consume it safely.

If you are stuck in toilets or in the bathroom and the water network does not work, you can use the water in the boilers or in the water tanks above the toilet.

food

Choose food that is not to be stored in a refrigerator, not cooked or prepared, which is easy to carry. Choose food that can be eaten by the whole family. Here are the best examples:
    - Canned food: boiled beans, peas, fish, meat, fruit, vegetable, cereals, candy.
    - - pasteurized milk, juices, coffee, tea (bottled)
    - sugar, salt, pepper, ness
    - Do not forget fork, knives, spoons
    - special foods for children or for persons requiring a special diet (diabetics)

If you have pets do not forget to set aside food for them too.

10. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I have never experienced an earthquake since I live in the wild far away from the earthquake rings. Though if I were to be struck by one I would stay away from caves since I would most likely be blocked in or even killed by the falling rocks. Also, I would stay away from large trees, the ocean (due to the possible tsunami), mountains that can have frequent avalanches, and muddy areas. Earthquakes usually can shift a whole land, so staying away from these areas when I feel as if one might occur or does occur would most likely save my life from certain death. And, I would also duck and cover my head in a nearby corner for even more protection.

11. Dejah

Dejah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Its best to prepare before these natural disasters touchdown. Having just a simple family meeting discussing all the different types of disasters that can possible happen, and coming up with a plan to prepare for them is actually very important and can save lives. Before an earthquake you should identify potential places around your house where you can seek shelter in case of a real earthquake, such as under tables or furniture. Make sure you cover your head and neck with your arms for protection. Stay away from all windows, doors, light fixtures, and glass because these can be very dangerous if they were to fall, shatter, or break. Immediately you need to take cover get on the ground, because the shaking can knock you over and that can be very risky. For any chance if someone is outside when an earthquake is occurring, don't try to run inside, stay away from all buildings because they might collapse and it can be dangerous. If you are in a moving car, stop your car immediately away from any building or trees, and remain inside until the earthquake is over.