What to use for future trade?

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by TJames13, Jun 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Over the years I have been able to give life without any power or water a try. When a hurricane rolls in and wipes out the power grid people like me that live out in the rural areas are at the end of the list for repairs. This is reasonable, there are a lot more people in a city than scattered out in the country.

Because of this I am usually better prepared for this possibility than someone in a city. I have lamps, lanterns, Coleman Camp stoves, and even fans that will run off 12 volt batteries. Usually in the past when the power has been knocked out we have a pretty good time. We invite friends over and have a big BBQ outside and if it is cool enough we have a big fire.

I am always amazed at the reactions of people when the power goes off. A LOT of people almost go into a full on PANIC mode like they won't be able to live without power. When we have lost power in the late summer due to a hurricane we have moved into the yard and slept in tents. It is cooler outside than inside. Battery powerd radios are a must as are a good assortment of lights. A coleman stove works great, we even have an oven for ours and with practice it works good.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 3:24 PM
    Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      See now, this is community. All good. Makes God smile. This is true gold.

Old Geezer, Sep 14, 2021 at 9:35 PM
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Reminds me of a story about the LA riots 1992, Rodney King and all that. At an apt. complex, everybody came out to BBQ. LA said no open fires; well, the f###ing place was on fire, so a BBQ really didn't count and besides, the police were letting the place go up in flames. Cops didn't care / were told to stand down and let the place burn.

A fellow at this BBQ tells me about this gathering. He made me smile. I so like his story. I've told his story a dozen times a dozen.

The rioters were like two blocks away. The apartment BBQ crew didn't care. They were all caring guns. Guns in waistbands, wherever. If the rioters got there, they were going to shoot into them and kill as many as were standing in their line of fire. People were drinking and getting ready to kill some trash-people.

As it turned out, the looters / arsonists didn't get to their block. What a shame. Across town, the Koreans tossed some lead. I so admire those Korean merchants.

Lead is an item of trade.

Think about it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021 at 9:38 PM
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in Britain when the power goes out the masses panic, when you live in a house that is all electric nothing works when the power goes down.
    I heard one guy say on tv " its like living in the middle ages" no you clot, its a power cut and it'll be back on within a couple of hours. people dont even have flashlights any more.
    you can see how people would behave when the power grid collapses for real, me, I dont much care, I lived off grid for 12 years no power and no mains water and it was just normal life for me.
    but then I'm an old luddite anyway!!
    # latest. big fire at a National Grid site in Kent where they import electricity from France, imports of Electricity stopped until October.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing about truly being prepared is that when the power goes off instead of feeling panic I feel sort of pleased to get to try out and check all of my preparations.

the party we had last time was a lot of fun. I ran Coleman lanterns up in the trees so the kids had a well lit yard to play in. We cooked outside on the grill and had Coleman stove that my with cooked a pot of beans and mashed potatoes on. We had another lantern over the 8' picnic table and so the adults could play cards if they weren't sitting around the fire bullsh#ting. Good food, lots of cold drinks of both the alcoholic sort and the soft drink sort and of course Iced Tea.

People don't get together like this as often as they should. We are more isolated and with both parents working and the kiddos in child care, about all people do at home Monday through Friday is eat and sleep. When I was a kid very few married women worked. Without birth control families were a lot bigger and women had a full time job taking care of them. There was also a sort of social stigma when a woman worked back then. It was often perceived as the MAN not being able to support his family so his wife had to work.

LOL, That started to break down when one went to work and you could immediately see the rise in their standard of living. At first most of the women that worked did so in the various jobs at schools. The office and such or in my Mom's case the library. She loved it when she went to work in the elementary school library.

She liked kids and eventually started assisting older kids, even one that was in High School, with their reading comprehension. Unfortunately if a kid is good enough at sports they will give him a pass on silly things like reading, writing and arithmetic. He "graduated" from High School reading at a second grade level! Skills wise he was at a pro level after college but he was just not able to make it due to the complexity of the pro game versus college or high-school.

He got to be a big shot for a lot of years and that was nice. Sadly when he didn't make it in the pros he was just another unemployed and almost illiterate person on welfare. Might his adult life have turned out better if they had places more emphasis on silly things like being able to read and write enough to fill out an employment application?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 3:52 PM
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Cold winter's night, power is off. Gov. electrical feed (or not), TVA. We made it a fun thing for the kids. Wood stove in the basement sending heat up the stairs. We all piled into our rather large master bedroom, the kids, two dogs, kerosene lanterns, lit candles. Was a "three dog night", but we only had two. Nice fluffy blankets. Happiness. The kids didn't know or care.

Side note: That woodstove got too hot when we were cooking downstairs, but kept the water pipes from freezing over those few days and kept us cozy upstairs. The stairwell was the heating conduit.

Outside, the power lines were on the ground in the snow.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

515/575

Blog Posts:
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing is this area is a low population one, I've said many times this place is like a ghost town during the day, well most of the time really, even weekends its very quiet.
    not really a tourist area there isnt anything for them to do unless their into medieval churches. its an agricultural area and hill farming at that.
    post SHTF the population will be even lower and without all the normal traffic, aircraft and back ground noise most people will go crazy, I like peace and quiet myself, just bird and animal noises but most people cannot and will not live like that, I reckon I'm a throwback to an earlier age!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.