What Type Of Disaster Are You Most Prepared For?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Destiny, May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My family is mostly prepared for weather related disasters. We get heavy winter storms that can leave the roads to our house impassable for weeks. We also get long track violent tornados and flooding, trees block the roadways and flooding washes them out. We have a months supply of food and water in the storm shelter if we end up getting trapped during a tornado but we also have a larger storage in the house for winter storms.

How are you guys prepared for a disaster? What type of diaster are you most prepared for and how?

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Anything that someone can reasonably expect to survive, we are prepared for. Not nuclear, the chance of that happening & effecting us here is minimal, & we don't have the money to spend on those sort of odds. We live in a forest which we own, we are off the grid & off all services. Apart from having to pay our corrupt local council rates/tax, we are self-reliant & self-sufficient.
    Keith.

ukpreppergurl likes this.
  3. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    The type of disaster I'm most prepared for is a tornado. In my area they are common, and its not a surprise to see entire house's missing after the storms. The sirens are loud, but when you hear them there is no doubt you need to run and hide. Massive black clouds form as we all gather in our shelter's with our furry friends.

4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That's the most common diaster in my area too. Floods and downed trees make the road impassible for weeks sometimes.

5. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely understand. We have a bridge out in a surrounding community, and they still aren't sure how long before its fixed. The damage they leave is devastating.

Destiny likes this.
  6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    The Philippines is hit by an average of 20 typhoons so that's probably our main concern here - typhoon and storm. As I had posted in some other threads, our cupboard is a cabinet that is storage for canned food particularly corned beef, spam, etc which we regularly use. But in case of a disaster or calamity, we can survive for maybe a week with that stock of food in the cupboard.

Typhoons here are normally not very strong but even weak typhoons cause floods that lock us from civilization with impassable roads. Even the market is closed so there's nowhere to buy food. But that's only for a day or 2. However, there are strong typhoons that are so destructive that the dire situation lasts for a week. In 2009 when Metro Manila was flooded with unimaginable high waters, there was no commerce for 3 days. And we are one of the fortunate who have a stock of food in our cupboard. Most of our neighbors went hungry during that time of calamity (needless to say, we shared our stock of food with them).

7. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    The disaster I'm always prepared for is the collapse of civilization.

There's always the threat of a third war looming on the horizon. Should there be a war then I'm sure that not much would be left afterwards. I'm prepared for that because it's something that is very likely to happen. In any case eventually there'll be a nuclear war and we all have to be prepared for it's coming and its aftermath . . .

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not prepared for all out nuclear war because I don't think that is survivable but I am prepared for all other eventualities.
    the one I put top of my list is Societal Collapse.

9. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm relatively prepared for anything, even the zombie apocalypse or Judgement Day (Skynet). Seriously, though, I horde disaster relief items. I have several first aid packs with designated purposes (light or heavy injury), a bunch of nonperishable food, impromptu housing and bedding, flood gear... Plus, living in Japan, I kind of have to keep in the back of my mind that there's potential for a humongous earthquake. So I have to know escape routes and whatnot.

10. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Hurricanes and tornadoes are frequent in the area in which I live along with flooding, but these aren't events that we make an active effort to prepare for because we stay prepared for those type of events. It's more of a way of life. The event that I'm more interested in prepping for is the collapse of the American government. I want to be more prepared for that and need to do my homework.

11. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My family is mostly ready for an economic collapse. We are able to become self-sufficient. We have a large garden where we grow plenty of food. We have a pond with lots of fish, and wooded area to hunt animals. We also have stocked up on preserved goods. We also have a storm cellar to protect ourselves from any natural disasters like a tornado. We are fairly prepared for the worst.