What would keep you going?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by remnant, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    What would keep you going in a survival situation even when things look bleak? There is such a thing as the mind being superior over matter. In some people, the thought of uniting with their families would be the driving force. Others, the stoic type as well as the entrepreneurial type would simply live by the mantra 'no retreat, no surrender and would be determined to slug it out and release a major film about the experience. Personally, my Christian faith would keep of going.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I haven't experienced such a situation but I'm sure the human instinct to survive will push me to go on. Maybe I would be crying with the frustration and the hopelessness in the situation but there is the innate will to live. I believe that we are born to enjoy life that's why we treasure life and we wouldn't easily surrender it just like that. That's why those earthquake victims who survived for days under the rubble eating their clothes and drinking their urine showed that man has the instinct to survive.

For those with religious orientation, it is true that faith will keep you hanging on for dear life. There are so many survival stories that are documented to prove that survival cases were mostly due to the will of the survivor to survive. And I think anyone can have that quality of being stubborn not to die, whether you are from the rural or the urban, it wouldn't matter because it is the will that counts most.

Arboreal and Moroccanbeauty2266 like this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    We hope to be ablle to keep on doing our life as normal with the gardens greenhouses feilds aninmals life here hopefully will be pretty much the same

4. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I always struggle on in the face of adversity. In the event of an apocalypse my life wouldn't change that much. I've lived in some pretty rough areas in the past and though I did miss some things, when they are gone, I can live without them. For me what would keep me going is the fact that I've lived that life before.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've lived a fairly basic life before, never had much never wanted much, I was very happy doing what I did and i'd do it again tomorrow given the opportunity.
    i'm not overly keen on the 21st century lifestyle, I yearn for a simpler life.

6. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would stay motivated to keep going mainly for my children. They are too young to be left on their own. But apart from that, my motivation is also based on my outlook of life and previous life experiences. I have been through hard times before and have always managed to keep on going no matter what, because it is not worth it to let the negativity get to me.
    However, I also yearn for a simple life with just what I need, not more.
    And facing such a challenge to actually live such a simple life because there is no other way to survive would teach me to have more self-discipline. It will make me a stronger person and I could imagine to also write a book about it.

7. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I think all of those things you mention are quite important. Personally, besides family,I would get motivated by the thrill of surviving. I won't give up that fast, and I would try to survive as long as I could.In these cases, I'm sure I would do anything to survive, maybe ones that I wouldn't expect, but I have a fear of dying, and that would just motivate me more.

8. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I would fight for the people I'm with. Be it my husband or someone I meet on the way, I will do what I need to do to keep him going and keep him alive. In my bleakest moments I may not be able to tell you anything I have to fight for. I may not give you a single reason I have to wake up in the morning. But if I can help someone else fight for what they want, it's good enough for me to keep going.

9. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I am not a quitter. I'd die trying to help myself and others. I always have hope. That's where faith comes in. If there is a God, there is a way and there is surely a God! I would pray and plan til I couldn't anymore. God gives us strength and I would certainly push forward until I didn't have an ounce of energy left in my body. I've always been that way. I was raised to never ever give up. Impossible is possible with a little faith.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    what would keep me going? ME!!:p

Bishop likes this.
  11. Robin Caudle

Robin Caudle Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    My wife and kids say I am just to stubborn to give up.

12. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I guess my love ones will keep me motivated. Although I haven't been tovthat situation. But im sure that is what I'm going to do because that is what I'm doing now. Doing the best that i can to be a provider and also their safety and security is not compromised by constantly monitoring their status.

13. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Luckily, I haven't experienced such situation before but whenever I struggle there's always one thing that keeps me going and pushes me forward and that is family. Family means everything to me. I don't know what I would to without my amazing partner and my parents/friends. They're always there for me and support me. I imagine that if I was in such a survival situation, they would be my biggest motivation to never give up.

Also, I guess there would also be the basic human survival instincts and some adrenaline.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will keep going because I don't fancy the alternative(death)!:p

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Knowing there is God so I will keep me going. I know how it felt to be scared when the earthquake strike our place and I was in school. I first thought of reuniting with my family but since I know that our house is just a walking distance from my school so I don't worry so much but just thought if they were okay.

16. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I'd be too curious to see what happens next. It's like a movie for me. Life has lots of twists and turns. Can't really stop the movie at any point without any resolution to the plot. Same philosophy in real life. If you can continue, do it. Nobody's gonna stop you from living your life your own way. If I ever get lost in the forest, I'd figure a way out. In a disaster? Help out and hope I make it out alive. It's not that hard but for someone like me who's had to crawl my way up a crappy situation, there's nowhere to go but up.

17. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    My kids are the most important things in my lufe. In a SHTF situation, the thought of my kids would keep me going. I will find inner strength to live another day and to go further than I ever thought I would. It might be difficult and each time will seem like it's the last, but hope is a very powerful thing. The hope of being re-united with my kids will give me courage to overcome and live. Right now, I try as much as I can to live in a way that they can say this of me: my mum is the best survivor:)

18. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Playing games and listening to musics are what keep me moving when things look bleak or when I am in a lonely condition.
    I forget all my worries when I am doing those two things especially when I'm playing my games.