What Wouldn't You Carry With You?

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Keith H., Oct 29, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you had to bug out & carry everything on your back, given that our equipment needs to be sustainable over a long period, what items wouldn't you carry with you?
    Keith

2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't carry our kitchen sink. I really don't like it anyway.

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself. I can be a smarta$$. Do forgive.

We constantly think of what we would carry. In so doing we must face the reality of not being able to pull this off. We are human and that's that. I'm not a horse.

There is a limit to ammunition plus the weight of your weapons.
    Food items would have to be in sealed packets; nothing metal.
    One can carry a limited amount of water, therefore one must carry water purification devices and have planned-out where water sources naturally occur.
    Cover from weather must be lightweight -- canvas is obviously out of the question.
    Rope must be lightweight and have a strength/diameter ratio that is sufficient at as long of length as is practical.

You see where I'm going with this. Excellent question, Keith.

I'll use the word, "sacrifice". When thinking of heading back to my home state, the amount I would like to take is ridiculous. Therefore I like everyone else would have to sacrifice. Not a happy topic.

3. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I would not take a tent or sleeping bag
    I use a waterproof cloak a flysheet and a net hammock, so compact and light.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would not carry anything that was battery powered, solar or not.
    Keith.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Interesting question... I'm a lot like OldGeezer and probably wouldn't bring the kitchen sink...but I do carry a folding bucket. I guess that I wouldn't carry a lot of wood in the sense of handles for tools. I on't carry a buck saw but have the blades, I have an eye hoe and a pole ax but will only carry the metal parts. When I stopped moving I could make the wooden parts like the handles and frames for the tools.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Like TexDanm, I put hacksaw blades in my portable tool boxes. There's a wire saw with plastic grips I put in my vehicle's toolbox.

What with today's high-tech polymers, I continually see new uses. I have a large spool of "string" that is 1.5 mm in diameter which will cut your hand to the bone. I do not know what its rating is however it is well over 100 lbs -- it would pick me up and I go over 200lb. That is freaky. In the 1960s I'd help my dad tie down heavy machines and we used Manila rope because it wouldn't stretch much at all. Today, the choices are abundant and very lightweight. Oiled Manila is NOT lightweight, by the way.

7. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Good idea!

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am reminded of two instances....of people getting ready to evacuate due to Emergencies.

One instance...A woman I know was planning for the possibility of evacuating with her children should the Hurricane arrive and bugging out became the decided Option. One of her boys decided that' he needed to bring his baseball card collection.

I got a good laugh out of that one...but this is how many think.

The other is of a woman being evacuated in a boat during a flood. Looking back at her house as the boat pulled away ...she could be heard lamenting ...her photo albums and her Jewelry.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't think its a case of what wouldn't you carry, more a case of what you COULN'T carry! there has to be a weight limit, especially as you get older, I know I have heard youngsters say they will walk "50 miles carrying 50lbs on my back" but that's just bravado. its not what you would take but what you would HAVE to leave behind. items don't matter that's personal preference.

10. BalisongAndBicycle

BalisongAndBicycle New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't carry too many firearms or too much ammo, as my belief is that if you have to fire a shot, you've lost the battle in most cases. I carry a sensible 9mm pistol and three mags, but would choose to evade over a fight in any case possible. I know of many preppers loaded to the hilt with dozens of firearms and a hundred pounds of ammo, who will give away their positions at the first shot, and will lose an arsenal to their attackers. Remember that mobility and stealth are key. Get out of a situation before it happens whenever possible, and if you find yourself in a situation inescapably, be ruthless and quick.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Assuming this is a WROL SHTF event, this is what I would do. Now this may surprise many and even cause a few to get upset. I would carry my light rain gear, my Ar 15, ammo for it, my lock picking tools and a small bolt cutter. I would grab my light weight food, NO canned goods. I would disable all my remaining firearms and hide them and the ammo. I live in an urban area and know where and how to find the hidden water sources. I would plan to return and re-claim my property and eliminate any threats. The main factor is to have your exit routes preplanned and scouted out. Emergency rabbit holes and exit routes must be determined and tested out prior to any serious disasters. Urban and rural plans do differ.

12. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Given the area where I live I do have the luxury of not having to carry water. There is ample supply, and many, many sources. I do carry multiple containers, and methods of purification.

I agree with eliminating the canned goods. I am really wrestling with carrying less ammo. I know it is heavy, but I just can't seem to part with it. O.K. guilty as charged.

13. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    You maybe in better physical shape than some (me) so the weight factor is huge. I cannot carry a thousand rounds of 7.62 x 39 and a 1,000 rounds of 9mm. I have to make a choice of more ammo or more food. The food wins. I figure I can return later to collect my hidden ammo. I do agree it is a tough choice of what to leave behind and what to take. Many of the younger and healthier folks can carry more weight. The old and frail (bad knees, ex smoker) folks are going to be limited in their options, if we have to bug out.

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have no desire to carry much in the way of food. There is always plenty to be found if you know where to look. I will carry a water filter and a pot but not a lot of water. Like Morgan101 said, where I live water is easy to find. If I was going to run I would probably only carry my 10-22 Ruger and a 22lr revolver. If I need bigger later there will be plenty of them around.

After a few months there are going to be more dead people than live ones and you will be able t scavenge most things that you need. The ability to move fast, far and unobserved will matter more than things.